Honored Contributor

Re: Benzodiazapine drugs overprescribed, overused by elderly

the elderly are not the only ones who have this type of drug prescribed for them; some are used as seizure control drugs in people of all ages.
Respected Contributor

It's great that there is continuous reevaluation of any individuals medication regime, but please let it be the doctor and not some big business deciding who gets what and when. Stop demonizing the docs, but don't stop educating them about the effects of the meds they prescribe.

Respected Contributor

I would much rather spend the end of my life being calm and quiet than anxious and agitated. It's not about the family, it's about the patient and their comfort.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

It's great that there is continuous reevaluation of any individuals medication regime, but please let it be the doctor and not some big business deciding who gets what and when. Stop demonizing the docs, but don't stop educating them about the effects of the meds they prescribe.

@skuggles  -- Absolutely and well said!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My cousin is a senior and she pops zanax like they were M&Ms. Her parents were the same way - always taking zanax. I recently asked her who her doctor was - as he obviously gives her a Rx for way too many of them. It turns out she goes to the same MD her parents did. And so, obviously, there lies the problem.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
the elderly are not the only ones who have this type of drug prescribed for them; some are used as seizure control drugs in people of all ages.

Yes, people of all ages are addicted to all sorts of drugs. I wonder why the OP singled out seniors?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most clinicians today do not overprescribe benzos.  I do think they are routinely prescribed in a few instances (usually for short-term use)  but Dr's do not dish them out like they used to.  They are harder to get now than they were years ago.

They are all generic now so the drug companies make no money off of them any longer.  There aren't any branded benzos.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I don't know any doctor in my HMO who would prescribe these types of drugs for anyone, let alone the elderly. If you have mental issues the docs want you to be counseled and then maybe they will prescribe something for you for 30 days. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

The OP ( that would be me) did not "single out" seniors.  The article I referenced did.

Make of the published article what you will, but don't blame me for creating it.  Perhaps you might want to direct your comment to the New York Times, where the story was published.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I understand there has been many elderly that act out violently in these homes.  A woman up at a local store was talking about her Grandmother in such a assisted living....another patient there (man) for NO REASON beat her with his cane in the head and nearly killed her 88yr old Grandmother!  

A close friend of my husband....his father had Alzheimer..finally they had to put him in a assisted living...cause he was out of control.  While there he had numerous fist fights with other patients.  They had to put him on medication to try and stop the out of control behavior.  Several other male patients were also involved...same deal.  Nothing seemed to be working for long.  Finally he was moved to another place.,,,he died a month later. 

My Aunt suffering this same way still at home....would come at my uncle with a butcher knife!  She would be raging and delusional saying he was out cheating on her....he was outside getting the mail and she would attack him.  They didn't know what they were going to do with her.  Thankfully (that was their words not mine) she suddenly died....

I don't agree with demonizing any those meds on that list....they may provide a way for people suffering to be calmer...and less miserable at the end time of life.