Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Been reading a book on giving up sugar.

On 11/22/2014 aydinsgma said:

Great thread!! I Am a sugarholic. After dinner is the worst for me. I feel I have to have something sweet, brownies, muffins, cake or something and I have to have a pretty big piece to be satisfied. I also started reading a book about giving up sugar. For me I do feel it's an addiction because if I don't have something sweet I'm looking for something. I don't need it in coffee or during the day but after dinner is a problem. Usually a red delicious apple will help but now with the holidays, it's going to be Very hard for me.

I use to get WW fudgecicle and sometimes their other desserts. They were measured and portioned out, however, now, I would look at the sugar content, not the points. Push comes to shove, not a bad choice.

Super Contributor

On 11/22/2014 willomenia said: Who wants to live a life giving up everything ? In moderation, nothing will hurt you, is about not overdoing it. A holistic doctor on the radio today was talking about thanksgiving, and said take small amounts of what u like, and enjoy your day, people binge when they are deprived of what they like.that's what kills us!

Yes!! Smartest post in this thread. Nutritionist say all the time 'Do Not Deprive Yourself of Any Food Group" , moderation and exercise. These have worked time and time again. Got to have some enjoyment in life.

Regular Contributor

I believe the issue with sugar is that it is hidden. People who say they eat no sugar talk about having eggs and bacon. I have searched and searched for sugarless bacon. I cannot find it in the stores. Kale chips have sugar. I saw a bag of all veggie chips. They looked dehydrated, but yet again sugar. So people may be eating in moderation, but still over eating sugar.
Regular Contributor

Over 80% of food in a grocery store contains sugar.
Esteemed Contributor

I have pretty much cut down the SUGAR to a minimum. I have never been a big eater just someone who loved her dessert (sometimes instead of real meals). I have lost 20 pounds at this point just doing that one thing.

I am careful with foods to sugar content, not totally eliminated it. Feeling better and rather proud of myself.

Trusted Contributor

Hi All!

Can anyone give me a sample menu of what they eat for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and Snacks if any? I work 5 days a week so I would have to do a brown bag lunch.

I am enjoying this thread. Thanks everyone!

Brunette

Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Christmasnut said:
On 11/22/2014 willomenia said: Who wants to live a life giving up everything ? In moderation, nothing will hurt you, is about not overdoing it. A holistic doctor on the radio today was talking about thanksgiving, and said take small amounts of what u like, and enjoy your day, people binge when they are deprived of what they like.that's what kills us!

Yes!! Smartest post in this thread. Nutritionist say all the time 'Do Not Deprive Yourself of Any Food Group" , moderation and exercise. These have worked time and time again. Got to have some enjoyment in life.

For some of us this is true but please be aware that some of us really cannot do well with "moderate" use of suger. Some nutritionists DO say this but some definitely do not. If I could eat moderately and be successful, I would never have been 100 pounds overweight. I feel absolutely no deprivation when eating as I do. I enjoy eating my meals and have no concern about what I don't eat. Each of us must find out what works, then do it.
Super Contributor

On 11/28/2014 violann said:
On 11/24/2014 Christmasnut said:

For some of us this is true but please be aware that some of us really cannot do well with "moderate" use of suger. Some nutritionists DO say this but some definitely do not. If I could eat moderately and be successful, I would never have been 100 pounds overweight. I feel absolutely no deprivation when eating as I do. I enjoy eating my meals and have no concern about what I don't eat. Each of us must find out what works, then do it.

This is very true, violann. One size does not fit all.

Recognizing my carb-sensitivity/sugar addiction (which is akin to an alcoholic -- that is, it is not doable to have a little each day) requires that I put distinct boundaries on my sugar consumption. I allow myself a little indulgence on the weekends, but during the week, I'm completely clean. I don't consider this deprivation in any way. I look at it as acknowledging my shortcomings, doing something productive about it and, ultimately, being good to my body and myself.

Super Contributor

On 11/28/2014 brunette8706 said:

Hi All!

Can anyone give me a sample menu of what they eat for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and Snacks if any? I work 5 days a week so I would have to do a brown bag lunch.

I am enjoying this thread. Thanks everyone!

Brunette

This is an example of my higher protein/lower carb eating plan. It has worked really well for me in terms of my weight, feeling good, and keeping me healthy.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1/2 vegan sausage pattie, vegetable (sometimes add low-fat cheese) omelet

Lunch: Canned salmon with dark greens, tomatoes.

Snack: 8-10 dry roasted, unsalted cashews or almonds or equivalent walnuts

Dinner: Baked de-skinned fish or chicken, vegetables, and either brown rice, sweet potato or bread. Sometimes have fruit immediately after dinner.

I drink mostly water and green tea throughout the day, plus one cup of coffee each day.

I do not eat beef, lamb, or pork. On weekends, I'll have carbs at two meals and a couple of desserts (low-fat ice cream, cookies, piece of cake).

ETA: I never thought I could eat like this, but once you try it for just a couple of days, you will be amazed at how much better you feel as opposed to the sluggish. bloated, and always being hungry feeling with carbs at every meal...and that makes it well worth it.

Respected Contributor

Have you seen that dietitian who lectures on PBS about "teaspoons of sugar"? She counts all carbs as sugar because they turn to the same compound as they're digested. I don't eat a lot of candy and sugary things, but I do like bread and pasta. It's very hard to eat so few "teaspoons of sugar." Even an apple has 15 grams of carbs. Then they say don't eat foods with animal fats, poultry has hormones and antibiotics in it, fruits and vegetables have pesticides, and there was even an article recently about how milk drinkers were more likely to die.

There truly is very little one can eat that doesn't come with a health warning. I try to eat as well as I can, but nearly everything is toxic according to someone. They seem to be demonizing sugar these days (as they did decades ago) and laying off on the warnings about fat in the diet.

I recently read an article that said the old warnings about even one adult beverage killing brain cells is without basis. How many times have we heard that? I never believed it. The nonsense about having to drink eight glasses of water a day has been discredited. That's another one that never made sense. People have made a fortune with these health warnings selling books and selling their advice. I'm sick of them all.