Trusted Contributor

Re: Been reading a book on giving up sugar.

Is that the new book by JJ Virgin? She's great. I have it, but haven't read it yet. That's how I eat now, and I can attest to the great benefits of cutting out white sugar.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Valued Contributor

I don't quite get what is wrong with drinking diet soda. I drink coke 0 . maybe 1 or 2 a day. I've heard diet soda is bad for you because it makes your body think it has sugar and releases something as if you had sugar? Does anyone understand this?
Honored Contributor

Gave up adding sugar to anything several years ago, to help with daily anxiety.

Since then I've only used healthier, safe, natural alternatives: stevia, monk fruit, and local/raw honey.

Also read the heck out of labels!

Regular Contributor

How do all of you handle eating out? Also why do people not count Stevia a s a form of sugar?
Occasional Contributor

I gave up sugar and all grains ( *Wheatbelly * book by Dr. Davis ) I have lost all cravings for sugar and I am never ever hungry, I enjoy my life much more now. This diet also cuts down on inflammation. I think wheat is as bad as sugar. Cereals are to be avoided at all costs! For breakfast eat eggs and nitrate free bacon (Trader Joe). I eat a lot of healthy fats, avocados every day, use coconut oil, avocado oil , organic butter, olive oil and I enjoy my *Brie* every day! I bake with nut flours and enjoy desserts (sans sugar and starches ), never do I buy *gluten free *products they are full of bad ingredients .

I always have a home made cheesecake (full fat) with a nut crust in my fridge.) Remember fat is not the enemy, it is the high carb diet that is killing us.

My Lab tests are fabulous, low triglycerides and very high HDL. Belly fat is gone also! Doc said: what ever you are doing, keep doing it!

I will never go back!

Good luck everybody!

Super Contributor

I don't like stevia. It tastes of salt to me.

Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 violann said:
On 11/22/2014 jubilant said:

I do believe we eat too much sugar. I have cut mine in half. I believe you can eat almost anything in moderation.

Hi jubilant. I agree with you that MOST people may be able to eat MOST foods in moderation. Just turns out that I'm not one of those people. I am virtually NEVER "satisfied" so I do need to impose on myself some sort of limitation or portion control. I do it by eating large portions of nutrient dense low calorie foods, largely veggies, and low calorie nutrient dense protein, mostly egg whites and some fish. Feeling great, so for me and for my health, this works Smiley Happy !

Violann, In my search for answers, I have a couple of books coming on the subject of portion control. While it was mentioned at meetings I used to go to, it wasn't far enough. I just wasn't getting the info I needed. I see you have an answer for yourself and very well done! I am still in search. It's like finding the correct combination for the lock (on your body). I guess that says it for me. LOL Too many, myself included, just weren't losing the way we once did. So I know there's another way for me to go. I have to find it. My problem may have been the stress I was under, I think that messes a lot of what we do up. I also wasn't able to do/follow all my good plans. So I'm back at square one, but I'll get there.

Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 unter der laterne said:

I gave up sugar and all grains ( *Wheatbelly * book by Dr. Davis ) I have lost all cravings for sugar and I am never ever hungry, I enjoy my life much more now. This diet also cuts down on inflammation. I think wheat is as bad as sugar. Cereals are to be avoided at all costs! For breakfast eat eggs and nitrate free bacon (Trader Joe). I eat a lot of healthy fats, avocados every day, use coconut oil, avocado oil , organic butter, olive oil and I enjoy my *Brie* every day! I bake with nut flours and enjoy desserts (sans sugar and starches ), never do I buy *gluten free *products they are full of bad ingredients .

I always have a home made cheesecake (full fat) with a nut crust in my fridge.) Remember fat is not the enemy, it is the high carb diet that is killing us.

My Lab tests are fabulous, low triglycerides and very high HDL. Belly fat is gone also! Doc said: what ever you are doing, keep doing it!

I will never go back!

Good luck everybody!

I agree with a lot of what you say. I'm still on track to finding the answer that works for me and that I can live with HEALTHILY. I hope that's a word. LOL My mother had Celiac disease that was life-threatening for her and as oldest, I know I could get that too. I've already turned the corner on letting go of a lot of old bad health habits in that area.

And does your "name" mean under the light?

Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Persephonel said: I don't quite get what is wrong with drinking diet soda. I drink coke 0 . maybe 1 or 2 a day. I've heard diet soda is bad for you because it makes your body think it has sugar and releases something as if you had sugar? Does anyone understand this?

I've read this too. It was explained in the last book that the fake sugar is ""seen"" as real sugar by the body and wants more. That's what they say makes you want more sugar. I have given up my diet Pepsi for water now.

Frequent Contributor

Great topic. I enjoy all foods, in moderation. I try to stay aware of what I eat and use a lot of willpower. (Whatever happened to that?) It's not easy, but it is possible. There's a lot of hidden sugar out there, too. By cutting out a lot of the unnecessary sugar, I enjoy having something sweet on occasion. I don't deprive myself.

I've never use sugar in coffee or tea. Tried it years ago and did not like it. I sprinkle a little Stevia over cereals that need sweetening and use sugar-free maple syrup when needed. Did you ever see how much sugar is in fruit yogurt? Yikes! I now like plain yogurt and sometimes adding a small amount of honey or fresh fruit. Some fruit juices, which you'd think would be healthy, have tons of sugar. Try replacing half with seltzer water, or just drink plain water, and lots of it. When I cook, I always reduce the amount of sugar called for in a recipe, and it's still good.

I try to make healthy food choices, exercise frequently and have lost 20+ lbs in a few years. I feel good, never hungry or deprived. My numbers are good and the docs are happy. If you consciously work on eliminating the unnecessary sugar, you will find you won't crave it as much. There are great books out there on the subject that offer a lot of helpful. Studies show that it is 8X more addictive than cocaine!