Regular Contributor

Re: Been reading a book on giving up sugar.

I had to give up all forms of sugar natural and artificial due to a health condition. I cannot even have fruit. I struggle with this eating plan every day. I have been at it for over 6 weeks. There are no substitutes. It means giving up all breads, most condiments, canned soups, and etc. pretty much it means giving up all prepackaged food items. I have not lost a single pound. My health condition still exists, but is slowly improving. I even went to buy pre-made organic kale chips but the seasoning on them contained organic date sugar. I have had to do this in the past and always end up falling off the wagon. Good luck with your quest to improve your health.
Honored Contributor

It has been about two years since I ate any sugar. No AS either. I gave that up years ago. Cold turkey is the only way that made sense to me.

I don't do much baking but I use pure stevia extract powder (only ingredient) when I do. I also use it in my coffee & tea.

I also eat low/unprocessed foods & I feel so much better - felt better right away even before losing any weight. And I've lost over 100 lbs.

Honestly, it was/is pretty easy for me. I love how I eat & never feel deprived. I made up my mind that I want to eat healthy REAL foods. I don't consider sugar filled foods an option anymore. It is not that I "can't" have them; I don't want those things in my body.

Frequent Contributor

Great thread. I am a sugaraholic and in need some good ideas to get off or at least cut down. Thankfully no artificial sugar in my house. Will have to view books and lecture on this subject. Tia Shopping girl
Honored Contributor

I do believe we eat too much sugar. I have cut mine in half. I believe you can eat almost anything in moderation.

Honored Contributor

Eliminating processed sugar is on the right track. But for diabetes control, Fat reduction (animal products, oils, etc) is the main key.

Fat sloooooows down the blood so even something innocent as an apple can wreak havoc w/ blood sugars...and the public blames the 'high sugar apple. SMH.

You'll see an immediate reduction of Blood Sugar #s when fat is eliminated. Remove the fat & Mother Nature will reward you & your body w/ the goodness of her sweet treats.

Super Contributor

On 11/22/2014 willdob3 said:

It has been about two years since I ate any sugar. No AS either. I gave that up years ago. Cold turkey is the only way that made sense to me.

I don't do much baking but I use pure stevia extract powder (only ingredient) when I do. I also use it in my coffee & tea.

I also eat low/unprocessed foods & I feel so much better - felt better right away even before losing any weight. And I've lost over 100 lbs.

Honestly, it was/is pretty easy for me. I love how I eat & never feel deprived. I made up my mind that I want to eat healthy REAL foods. I don't consider sugar filled foods an option anymore. It is not that I "can't" have them; I don't want those things in my body.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Congrats on losing and, especially, with keeping it off! I hope to do the same and I feel wonderful...so do my joints. No more hip/knee/foot pain for me. Smile

Real Foods (clean eating) make all the difference and one doesn't have to read labels constantly to avoid the triggers/traps that sabotage our wt. loss efforts. I stay away from sodium and when I eat out, I use lemon juice to cut the saltiness. Lemon Pepper is also a wonderful condiment that I add to my meals quite often - it tastes wonderful on beef as well as scrambled eggs. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

If the physical consequences of sugar and processed foods consumption are not enough to motivate you, Google "sugar and dementia". Anyone who has had the experience of caregiving an elder with dementia/Alzheimer's will understand and hopefully value their own future quality of life enough to make some serious changes.
“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Trusted Contributor

I am a sugar addict and have been attempting to cut sugar from my diet. I have heart disease and I know all the consequences of sugar. I'm real good for a little while and then I fall back. Although my addiction is not to be compared to one of cigarettes, drugs or alcohol, I fully realize the difficulty in changing the habit. And now with the holidays and all the marvelous recipes coming my way, it is a constant battle!!!!

Valued Contributor

On 11/22/2014 willdob3 said:

what do you eat?
Valued Contributor

No sugar, no fat, no carbs...I'm a vegetarian ...what is there to eat?