Regular Contributor

I was diagnosed with this 3 years ago when I had a scope done because I have GERD. After going through alot of medical tests these past couple months, I have come to the conclusion that I think my problem might be acid reflux that feels like chest pressure and back pain.

I am scheduled for another scope next week.  I was told my symptoms sound like something that can happen with Barrettes and it can be treated with different medicine.

What has your experience been with this condition/disease?

Esteemed Contributor

@dennylilly wrote:

I was diagnosed with this 3 years ago when I had a scope done because I have GERD. After going through alot of medical tests these past couple months, I have come to the conclusion that I think my problem might be acid reflux that feels like chest pressure and back pain.

I am scheduled for another scope next week.  I was told my symptoms sound like something that can happen with Barrettes and it can be treated with different medicine.

@dennylilly 

Any time a patient presents with "chest pressure and back pain," it should be taken very seriously.  I hope you're sharing these symptoms with your physicians, including your PCP.

Should these symptoms increase to include sharp or lacerating pain in or near your upper back, including chest pressure, call 911 immediately.  Do not drive yourself to an ER.  I'm speaking of a dissecting aorta here, which requires immediate medical intervention.

Regular Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:

@dennylilly 

Any time a patient presents with "chest pressure and back pain," it should be taken very seriously.  I hope you're sharing these symptoms with your physicians, including your PCP.

Should these symptoms increase to include sharp or lacerating pain in or near your upper back, including chest pressure, call 911 immediately.  Do not drive yourself to an ER.  I'm speaking of a dissecting aorta here, which requires immediate medical intervention.

I had an EKG, heart testing bloodwork and today I had a stress test.  So my doctor is well aware of my symptoms and is taking care of me.  I called to tell her I think it could be acid reflux and she is the one who recommended me call the gastro dr. I am very concious of my symptoms and so far I have not experienced any pain just pressure and a small amount of pain in my back.  When I called the gastro dr they said this is something that can happen with Barretts disease. 

Thank you for your concern and information.

Respected Contributor

If you stop taking your meds cold turkey, these symptoms are quite common.  Your body gets used to having these meds suppress the acid.  When you stop all of a sudden, your body looks for the meds and over-produces acid.

Valued Contributor

My husband had Barrett's Esophagus.  Acid reflux is a symptom.  It took 5 radio frequency ablations to remove all of the problematic cells.  (You can google it.)  We were given a choice of watchful waiting or having the procedures.  We did not feel comfortable with watchful waiting and chose the procedures -- especially because both my husband's cousin and a friend's son-in-law had Barrett's that turned into esophageal cancer.  Statistically that is uncommon but we chose the better safe than sorry path.  I am not trying to scare you but Barrett's can be a serious disease.  Obviously each case is different and yours might be less serious than my husband's.  If I were you I would talk to your doctor about the dfferent available treatments.

Regular Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

If you stop taking your meds cold turkey, these symptoms are quite common.  Your body gets used to having these meds suppress the acid.  When you stop all of a sudden, your body looks for the meds and over-produces acid.

I have not stopped taking my meds.

Regular Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

My husband had Barrett's Esophagus.  Acid reflux is a symptom.  It took 5 radio frequency ablations to remove all of the problematic cells.  (You can google it.)  We were given a choice of watchful waiting or having the procedures.  We did not feel comfortable with watchful waiting and chose the procedures -- especially because both my husband's cousin and a friend's son-in-law had Barrett's that turned into esophageal cancer.  Statistically that is uncommon but we chose the better safe than sorry path.  I am not trying to scare you but Barrett's can be a serious disease.  Obviously each case is different and yours might be less serious than my husband's.  If I were you I would talk to your doctor about the dfferent available treatments.

Yes, unfortunately I goggled it today and saw that it can lead to cancer.  I try not to worry but by nature I am a worrier. I am sure I would want to play it safe also when we are dealing with cancer.  I will for sure be speaking with the dr about this and pray that it is not serious.  Thanks 

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly 

How did your STRESS TEST go?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@dennylilly 

How did your STRESS TEST go?

I think it went ok. I was able to walk on the treadmill as long as was needed. During the entire test I was having the chest feelings so I figured all the tests they were doing would have seen this if it was heart related.  I was told (after i asked of course) that they can't tell me any results but if I was allowed to leave that would be good news.  Then I can wait to hear from my dr about the results.  I am trying not to worry.  

Esteemed Contributor

@dennylilly wrote:

@dennylilly 

The bottom line is, you know your body best, nobody here knows your body as well as you do.

If your doctor has told you that you have a good strong heart, and that there is nothing wrong with it, and instead it is something else that is causing the symptoms that you described, I would listen to them, because afterall, it is you in that exam room with the the doctor. It is you that is having all of these tests done, and are getting the results, not anybody here.

So if you think it's Barrettes disease, GERD, then I believe you, because as I said, only you know your body best, not anybody here.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.