Honored Contributor

@dennylilly wrote:

I was diagnosed with this 3 years ago when I had a scope done because I have GERD. After going through alot of medical tests these past couple months, I have come to the conclusion that I think my problem might be acid reflux that feels like chest pressure and back pain.

I am scheduled for another scope next week.  I was told my symptoms sound like something that can happen with Barrettes and it can be treated with different medicine.

What has your experience been with this condition/disease?

@dennylilly 

I hope all goes well with your next scope.  I have been having increased issues with GERD also and have an appt. next week with my gastro. dr.  I know that I am due for an endo and colonoscopy (oh, yeah --- not!).  

I have a friend who has this disease and she takes medicine for it --- not sure what it is and she is doing well on it.

Best wishes!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@dennylilly 

If you are on Facebook, I suggest that you follow ECAN, the Esophageal Cancer Action Network.

Here is their site- https://ecan.org/

They publish a lot of resources about heartburn, GERD, Barrett's Esophagus, and other topics.

No photo description available.

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly 

I talked about my years long issue with Barrett's Esophagus in your other thread about "Stress Test". Other than being inconvenienced by having many Endoscopic Procedures, this disease has not changed anything in my way of life.

There were no symptoms at all when I had my very first Endoscopy. I had it done after my brother-in-law was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer. My Endo results?

1) GERD

2) Inflammed Esophagus 

3) Hiatal Hernia

4) Barrett's Esophagus 

I was stunned when I got these results because I was Asymptomatic. Shows how important having this Procedure done and the possible deadly results, especially so, for those having these types of issues. Many pop a few Tums and chalk it off "must be what I ate" or "just an upset stomach.

There are 2 Procedures I recommend every aging adult have performed and those are a

1) Colonoscopy 

2) Endoscopy 

Other medical issues in my life left me with Anemia for many years because of a major Colon Bleed. After 14 years of very little ability to exercise vigorously, which prior had been a major part of my life, I was able, finally, to stay physically healthy long enough to regain my life back.

Took me over a year of slowly building up my endurance and mental confidence to once again be able to exercise at  very high level. It also allowed me to return to my true love, which was/is, ice skating again at my previous decades of high levels. A broken rib/broken nose/a knot on my head that closed my left eye, and bruises from my hip to my knee for many, many months.

None of the above paragraph was caused by my Barrett's Esophagus diagnosis. That changed only taking up time to have many Endoscopic Procedures, nothing more.

That was/is my experience with this disease, and in the scope of my life? Almost trivial. You asked, I replied.

Best to you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Barrettes disease

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:

I was diagnosed with this 3 years ago when I had a scope done because I haveGERDD. After going throughalott of medical tests these past couple months, I have come to the conclusion that I think my problem might be acid reflux that feels like chest pressure and back pain.

I am scheduled for another scope next week.  I was told my symptoms sound like something that can happen with Barrettes and it can be treated with different medicine.

@dennylilly 

The bottom line is, you know your body best, nobody here knows your body as well as you do.

If your doctor has told you that you have a good strong heart, and that there is nothing wrong with it, and instead it is something else that is causing the symptoms that you described, I would listen to them, becauseafteralll, it is you in that exam room with the the doctor. It is you that is having all of these tests done, and are getting the results, not anybody here.

So if you think it's Barrettes disease,GERDD, then I believe you, because as I said, only you know your body best, not anybody here.

@Anonymous032819 

Unless I am reading this @dennylilly post wrong, she asked for "others experience with disease", not a diagnosis. If you think other's experiences with serious diseases don't help some that visit here? My guess is you either haven't been reading this forum long, or that is just your opinion.

She asked and I replied. I've never given Medical Advice on this forum and I have no intention of ever doing so. I have however gladly shared my numerous health battles to stay alive. For me commenting/suggesting or relating one's own personal experiences are not even close to "giving medical advice".

I was a Volunteer Heart Health Advocate while an in-patient for many weeks. Some patients knew their diagnosis, but felt much better after listening to someone that had lived them. Doctors can diagnose, but some fall far short when it comes to someone telling what they actually have experienced.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:

I was diagnosed with this 3 years ago when I had a scope done because I haveGERDD. After going throughalott of medical tests these past couple months, I have come to the conclusion that I think my problem might be acid reflux that feels like chest pressure and back pain.

@dennylilly 

The bottom line is, you know your body best, nobody here knows your body as well as you do.

If your doctor has told you that you have a good strong heart, and that there is nothing wrong with it, and instead it is something else that is causing the symptoms that you described, I would listen to them, becauseafteralll, it is you in that exam room with the the doctor. It is you that is having all of these tests done, and are getting the results, not anybody here.

So if you think it's Barrettes disease,GERDD, then I believe you, because as I said, only you know your body best, not anybody here.

@Anonymous032819 

Unless I am reading this @dennylilly post wrong, she asked for "others experience with disease", not a diagnosis. If you think other's experiences with serious diseases don't help some that visit here? My guess is you either haven't been reading this forum long, or that is just your opinion.

She asked and I replied. I've never given Medical Advice on this forum and I have no intention of ever doing so. I have however gladly shared my numerous health battles to stay alive. For me commenting/suggesting or relating one's own personal experiences are not even close to "giving medical advice".

I was a Volunteer Heart Health Advocate while an in-patient for many weeks. Some patients knew their diagnosis, but felt much better after listening to someone that had lived them. Doctors can diagnose, but some fall far short when it comes to someone telling what they actually have experienced.

hckynut

@hckynut You are correct. It is very helpful to hear from people who have dealt with this rather than only the Dr. side.  Also I am often overwhelmed with all the information given to me in the Dr. office that I don't think of questions at the time. It's usually not so urgent that I need to call the dr and bother her but it is information that is nice to have.

For instance, I was told to have a stress test when I got back from my vacation but this was the same visit where I found out nothing was wrong according to my tests and I was being sent home with no treatment even thought I felt TERRIBLE.  So natrally I did not think to ask the details of the stress test  It wasnt a concern but it was sure helpful when people responded with the details- that sure helped to prepare me.  I had a stress test years ago and all that was involved was walking on the treadmill.  The nuclear is certainly different. 

Valued Contributor

Has your GI doc ruled out Esophageal Spasms as a cause of your pain?  I would routinely get crushing chest pain and pain along my spine, mainly between my shoulder blades.  After speaking at length about this with my GI doc, I was diagnosed with Espohageal Spasms.  I used to take an as needed pain medication that was a Belladonna derivitave, but that medication no longer has a generic and the brand is quite expensive. My GI placed me on an old anti-depressant called nortriptyline, not because of depression, but because the medication was found to be beneficial to people like me.  This might be something to ask your GI after your next scope.  I wish you the best.

Honored Contributor

@pepes mom 

Many years ago when I was working, for 30 years, around polyethylene and polypropylene fumes(phone wire insulation), I was diagnosed with Bronchial Spasms. Those also caused a tightness in the chest along with not being able to breathe(fully fill the lungs) deeply.

I was prescribed small doses of Valium for this condition. It has never completely gone away, but I quit taking Valium decades ago. There isn't a Pulmonary Test I haven't taken, but it never seems to appear at those times.I still experience it, but not very often.

Anymore I don't give it much thought since I have had more serious Pulmonary Issues I have dealt with for years now. These spasms still occur, but now I know the best way for me(personally) to deal with them. 

Another thing to add to my very long list of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary experiences.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

@dennylilly wrote:
****UPDATE***
I had my endoscopy today and it looks like everything is the same as this time last year.  He took some biopsy to see if I might have a infection /bacteria which could be causing my symptoms but he didn't think I did but was checking just in case.

I also am having pain on the right side of my face and neck.  I have a call into the DR and he is going to call me back.  I feel like my face by the jawline and side of my neck is bruised.  It is NOT on the inside like they say I might have but on the outside.  Has anyone experienced this?

I was diagnosed with this 3 years ago when I had a scope done because I have GERD. After going through alot of medical tests these past couple months, I have come to the conclusion that I think my problem might be acid reflux that feels like chest pressure and back pain.

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:
****UPDATE***
I had my endoscopy today and it looks like everything is the same as this time last year.  He took some biopsy to see if I might have a infection /bacteria which could be causing my symptoms but he didn't think I did but was checking just in case.

I also am having pain on the right side of my face and neck.  I have a call into the DR and he is going to call me back.  I feel like my face by the jawline and side of my neck is bruised.  It is NOT on the inside like they say I might have but on the outside.  Has anyone experienced this?

@sfnative  Hoping you see this.

Op--great to know you are in the care of many doctors.  The jaw/chest pain reminds me of the warnings for heart troubles.  I know you're in the care of a cardiologist though.

Trusted Contributor
@dennylilly

I know you had your stress test last week. What were the results?