Honored Contributor

Have you ladies with vision problems had an eye exam lately?  There are diseases and cataracts that develop as people age that need to be caught early.  If it's been over a year since your last eye exam, you need to schedule one rather than bemoaning the fact you can't see, on a shopping bulletin board. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bad eyesight

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Have you ladies with vision problems had an eye exam lately?  There are diseases and cataracts that develop as people age that need to be caught early.  If it's been over a year since your last eye exam, you need to schedule one rather than bemoaning the fact you can't see, on a shopping bulletin board. 

I've had 3 eye exams this year and scheduled for another this week, so thank you for pointing out that an eye exam may be needed. When I first noticed my vision changes three years ago, I went to an Ophthalmologist. By the way, many things are posted on the "shopping bulletin board" that have nothing to do with shopping, but you should already know that. 

Honored Contributor

I've had my vision seriously checked since I contracted Pulmonary Sarcoidosis, which can be seen through the eye 20 years ago.  Luckily once it remissed, it never came back (I sill have it checked).

Then 8-9 years ago I contracted Diabetes (which can also be seen through the eye, high blood sugars will burst the tiny blood vessels in the eye.  Too many bursts (and healings) and you will lose your vision eventually).  I am SO invested in keeping my vision that I always watch my diet.  I just had my vision checked a month or so ago for new glasses and NOW I have cataracts in both eyes!!  Jeeze.....  so they'll let that go until I have to have them repaired....  but JEEZE!  I'm NOT going to say "what next"....  nope....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@hckynut@I don't mind saying that I am 61 and I did have my eyes checked but was told I just need readers..Thanks though for your info.I would really like to have the surgery that you mentioned.I was told nothing can be done for the aging eye so I am going to do some research.

Honored Contributor

@AugustPeridot wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've had 3 eye exams this year and scheduled for another this week, so thank you for pointing out that an eye exam may be needed. When I first noticed my vision changes three years ago, I went to an Ophthalmologist. By the way, many things are posted on the "shopping bulletin board" that have nothing to do with shopping, but you should already know that. 

@AugustPeridot  Many people come here seeking advice without ever seeing a doctor.  This is not the place to get a diagnosis and treatment plan, as you know.  It seems like most discussions have nothing to do with shopping.

Hope you get your problem resolved.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624@This is a wellness topic so of course it has nothing to do with shopping...which for me is alive and well.I just like to hear what others have tried and their viewpoints.Lots of good experienced info to be had.

Valued Contributor

Re: Bad eyesight

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yes, @Kachina624, you are absolutely right about regular eye checks!  & I do them faithfully.

many of the things that happen to us as we age are just that....age, which my eye doc tells me every year.

so I'll deal w/ "middle age spread", "laugh (or crow, depending on ones outlook) lines",

but I make no bones about missing my younger selfs super eye sight.......then again, as someone I hold dear went to bed w/sight & woke completely blind the next morning thru no fault of their own or by being neglectful, I'm smart enough to count myself as blessed that blurry sight because of my age is better than no sight.

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes  Wow, waking up blind would be a scary prospect.  What caused the blindness?  Both my parents had macula degeneration and we're legally blind so I get regular eye checks.

Trusted Contributor

When I take off my glasses, I can't even see me.  When I have glasses done up I make sure they measure for the bifocal in the middle of my eye.  I want to be able to read, I don't care about seeing far away.  I am totally fearful of eye surgery, because one slip and I can't see anything. I am never afraid of any other surgery, just eye surgery.------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@violann wrote:

I was almost 70 when I had miraculous surgery. I'd been told for years that it couldn't be done, yet when I found the right doctor it all seemed to go easily.

If you're not satisfied, continue to search for a solution.

It's NEVER TOO LATE.

Did you have lenses implanted?   

If not, please explain the type of surgery you had.  I'd love to speak to the local eye surgeon about it.

Thanks!

I became unable to read music from a music stand, the worst thing in the world for me. I had cataracts removed from both eyes, but still couldn't see my music without thick trifocals with individual prisms at all three lens settings, different in each eye.

I was then sent to a pediatric ophthalmologist who repaired the crossed eye that had caused me to see double for thirty or so years.

No one, not even my husband, knew how much I was bothered by double vision, and so once I'd THOUGHT it couldn't be fixed, I'd never made a big deal of it. 

My wonderful surgeon freed me from double vision and glasses.

Whatever vision problem you have, you deserve to know if any alternatives are available to help you to see better. I wish I'd asked sooner!