Honored Contributor

Re: Bad experience with my mamo

[ Edited ]

I doubt it. That woman was extremely close to me, trying to position me correctly..We had a cat when my kids were small and had to get rid of it..

Honored Contributor

This isn't a mammogram issue.  I don't know why you are blaming the mammogram or why you are reluctant to have another one, that makes no sense at all.  I'm assuming you already knew that you have a cat allergy and coincidentally, you just happened to have a cat.  People own cats.  That's a fact of life; the same thing could have happened to you anywhere.  A hairdesser, a restaurant server, sitting next to someone in the dentist's office.  I know that people in the medical field are asked to refrain from using scented products but they aren't asked to give up owning pets because they might encounter someone who is allergic.  The first tech did the only thing she could do, call another tech in.  No one is this world is going to hermetically seal their clothes because one they MIGHT encounter someone with a cat allergy.  But, knowing you have such an allergy, you could call them prior to your next mammogram and tell them what happened so they can keep anyone who owns a cat away from you.  

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I doubt it. That woman was extremely close to me, trying to position me correctly..We had a cat when my kids were small and had to get rid of it..

Well, OK then.

You can doubt the possibility of other allergic triggers, but they are very possible.

And yes, I developed allergic asthma later in life, never having had it before.

Honored Contributor

@cherry @That sounds horrible but thankfully you are okay now.I hope you will always carry an inhaler with you just Incase you have something like this happen again.I am very chemical sensitive and the smell of strong cleaners will make me cough and sometimes vomit.I  only use vinegar and baking soda to clean at my home.If something requires a strong chemical My dh has to do it and I stay clear.

Honored Contributor

I know it isn't a mamo issue. But it is a health issue,  for me..

Honored Contributor

They don't just hand out inhalers @dex . I would have to see an allergist, and probably get sensitivity tests again . This might be an isolated incident..if it continues I will have to see an allergist

I would rather not unless I have to..

Honored Contributor

As a breast cancer survivor, @cherry , (and no one in my family had it), I would  make sure I had a rescue inhaler with me just in case I came into contact with a trigger..  There's no way you can predict where and when you might be exposed.

I know how it feels to have an attack.

Honored Contributor

@cherry @I know those things are expensive and they expire too but for your own safety that is important.My son has asthma and he carries one everywhere but hasn’t needed it in years but you just never know.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it happens again I will see a Dr. ,right now, I think it was just her very close proximity to me . Her sleeve brushed my face.  @dex 

Esteemed Contributor

Forget these so-called “guidelines.”  I have had a mammo every year since 40, with no history of cancer in my family.

And I am 75 now, and no one asked me to reconsider getting one.  I still have so much to live for and no plans to give up on tests that might save my life.  Maybe insurance companies think it’s the age when I should give up and let nature take it’s course,  but they have never met me, nor friends my age who think the same way.