Honored Contributor

I had a mammogram today, and it was horrible. As soon as the tech got near me I started to cough and my throat started to close. I asked her for water, I could barely speak, an they couldn't do more of the photos

When we could proceed, she got next to me again, and I started to feel like I couldn't breathe. I  said, I think it's you that is causing this. I felt terrible saying it, and I couldn't give a long explanation, I was gasping for air. I asked her if she had animals. She nodded yes. I said cats? She yes, but, I try to keep them away from my clothes. She acted funny ,and ran to get someone else.  She finished doing them.Then they needed to retake 2. I gasped if this doesn't work ,I am out of here. I have to get air

I have never had this happen to me ,in all of the years I have been getting mammogram. I honestly think ,the first tech must have let her cats lay on her uniform..You don't try to keep animals off your clothing, when you work in a hospital, right next to people ,who could be allergic. You keep them in a special sealed garment bag. I am not sure I ever want another mamo, after this episode

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad experience with my mamo

Have you ever had an asthma attack?

Honored Contributor

Sounds like asthma to me. Check w/Primary Care doc.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Have you ever had an asthma attack?

@cherry , unfortunately some people post without thinking. I'm so sorry you had this experience, it must have been scary.🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I don't need to check I have asthma and haven't had an attack in decades. I am scared to death of them restarting

Honored Contributor

@cherry 

So sorry for your allergic reaction, but whatever you do, don't let this episode cause you to stop getting your mammograms, they're too important to your health!

The next time you schedule your mammogram, tell them at that time about this experience/reaction and maybe they can make sure your tech is cat hair free.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't let this incident stop you from ever getting a mammogram.  

I would have let her supervisor or someone in charge know what happened before I left. 

Honored Contributor

I couldn't. I need fresh air asap @Bri369 ...

Super Contributor

I just had my mammogram done today. Please keep going just inform them that you need a technician that doesn't have pets because of the incident that happened to you. I feel that people who work in the medical field should get dressed at work. They shouldn't go outside of the hospital or doctors office. I live in NYC and I see all these people getting on buses with their uniforms on or restaurants.I find that nasty. They bring in the germs to hospital and also take whatever germs out to the public. 

Honored Contributor

you probably need to carry an inhaler with you.....especially after your experience today.

i am not sure you can guarantee that anyone working in a medical facility keep their animals away from their own clothing?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein