Honored Contributor

Re: Bactrim: beware of this antibiotic because

AFTER A COURSE OF IT, ONE CAN GET THE RUNS, WORSE THAN ANY EXPERIENCE ON EARTH AND ACCOMPANIED BY SEVERE ABDOMINAL CRAMPING. IT HAPPENED TO MY MOTHER. THESE ARE KNOWN SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS MEDICINE, BUT BACTRIM DOES TARGET BACTERIA IN THE URINARY TRACT AND CAN BE BETTER AT KILLING SOME BACTERIA THERE THAN OTHER ANTIBIOTICS. IF THE BENEFIT OUTWEIGHS THE NEGATIVE EFFECTS, SOMETIMES IT IS NECESSARY, ALTHOUGH KIDNEY FAILURE AND LIVER FAILURE ARE NOT SIDE EFFECTS THAT OUTWEIGH THE BENEFITS.

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone is different and Bactrim can be a really good drug for some. For me, it made me very sick, throwing up that would not stop. Had to go to the ER to get a shot to stop it.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

When my brother was being treated for brain cancer, he was put on Bactrim. His bilirubin shot up and he had to stop his chemo for several weeks until the bilirubin count came back to normal.

Super Contributor

My 8 yr old daughter was on bactrim for 8 days of a 10 day course this past May. The eighth day she developed a rash on her legs. Turns out she was having a severe allergic reaction to the antibiotic. She had to have a steriod shot.

Talking to friends found out a few of their kids had the same thing happen about the 8th day. A bit scary.

Hope you're doing better.

Antibiotics work so well most of the time it's easy to forget there can be serious side effects.

Super Contributor

I found out 30 years ago that I couldn't take this med. I'm not sure what I had at the time, but suffice to say it had me on my hands and knees in pain, calling the ER to find out what on earth I'd been given and what was it doing to me. It's been on my charts since then that I cannot have any sulfa drugs.

Super Contributor

Dear God and it's still prescribed, I took it yrs ago as well for a broncitis and good to see the post

Valued Contributor

As others have pointed out, adverse reactions can happen to anyone at anytime for any drug. I was on Bactrim for a year. I had osteomyelitis which is a serious bone infection. I almost lost my foot. After 6 months of two times a day IV antibiotics, I was put on Bactrim for a year. With that said, I had weekly blood tests . It wasn't bad because I had a Grashong catheter in my arm so they used it as a port for the blood draws. I appreciate your post, but it want to reassure those taking Bactrim that it doesn't mean it will happen to them. Drink lots of water and stay out of the sun.
Valued Contributor

Ask your providers for antibiotics that are not broad spectrum. Many people are allergic to sulfa drugs (Bactrim) and Levaquin, which someone mentioned, is the equivalent of an elephant gun. If you need an antibiotic and are well enough to be at home, chances are you can do with something that isn't so strong. Please keep this in mind when you do need an antibiotic.

Respected Contributor

Anybody can have reactions to any drug...Bactrim is as old as the hills and has been around for years. Get yourself a medical alert bracelet, but just because you had a reaction does not make it a bad drug. Poodlepet