Honored Contributor

Re: Bacon Bad???

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@bikerbabe  Thank you for your open heart.

@bikerbabe wrote:
For humanitarian reasons I can no longer eat meat with a clear conscious. Farm animals are treated horribly - tortured. I can’t supoort that any longer.

@phoenixbrd

You are a sweet, compassionate little birdie!

@bikerbabe

You’re a free wheelin’ Babe with a big heart!

I agree...the ‘humane’ angle...a dead cow is a dead cow.

I would say, IMO (who raised & showed cattle/pigs on 4-H),

that animals are more connected to the smaller farmer/ranchers.

These animals are intelligent...they know who their owner is...

just makes the small aspect almost even worse than the 

larger 150,000-head feedlot raising. 

But I digress.

The information I posted is from the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION.

It is not an opinion piece. If I was to place opinion, I would

say if you’re going to eat animals, don’t eat cured meat.

It’s like eating cigarettes.

That.is.what.this.thread.is.about.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Trinity11  I will have to get b12 shots forever. I need all the protein I can get. I don't like a lot of vegetables, and I can't eat many fruits. I will do what is best for me, and that means protein. I don't trust veg diets ,and I will never be part of that. I don't care who else wants to do it. I certainly wouldn't tell them not to, but ,that doesn't mean I will follow their lead, or believe their spiel

Like Noel, I have to eat some meat because of iron deficiency. Like yourself @cherry, I get B12 shots. Same with fruit intake...which result in hyperglycemia and a lot of insulin to cover it. 3 months of a plant based diet and I had a higher A1c but worst of all my cholesterol even on statins was terrible. My triglycerides were off the charts. My cardiologist thought I must have been eating pies and cakes. Nope. It was the result of a plant based diet. Beans, vegetables, low sugar fruits made me ravenous too and I gained weight from the high amount of starch I was eating. 

That is why I tell no one to eat my lower carbohydrate diet. We are all individuals with different nutritional needs. What works for one person won't always work for another.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  I follow a fodmap diet ,as well as limited carbs ,and so many fruits simply upset my stomach, and I really like them..I  have the same concerns about the vegs, that I like ,and aren't starchy. I eat to my meter ,and what my body needs, and what I can tolerate...if people don't like it tough

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it comes to medical science, "facts" change as the researchers and scientists learn more about the human body and nutrition. You just don't know what you don't know yet and that will always be most important. 

25 years ago we would have ran the board with eat an egg and you're a fool for inviting an immediate heart attack. 

How times and knowledge aka "the facts" change.  One thing that stays constant is traditional common sense. 

All things in moderation.  If it makes you feel good, keep eating it.  If it makes you sick, stop.  

Honestly just as simple as that.  No studies or shaming or quotable references needed.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  I have 2 eggs every morning and my cholestrol level hasn't changed a bit..I was just reading something from Harvard Med school about statins not being needed by many people...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry  I believe it!  My doctor tried to do that to me and I wasn't even in the high level.  Plus she had to put me on one other drug first because I was so young before she would give me that.  I said NO and cut out sugar.  No issues since.  

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Trinity11  I follow a fodmap diet ,as well as limited carbs ,and so many fruits simply upset my stomach, and I really like them..I  have the same concerns about the vegs, that I like ,and aren't starchy. I eat to my meter ,and what my body needs, and what I can tolerate...if people don't like it tough

I try but that Fodmap diet is a tough one to follow @cherry. Onions, garlic, all beans ...love them but they don't like me. My daughter follows it to the letter and my son has Celiac disease, so he has his own plan. We eat out when we get together because all of us have different dietary needs..

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  yes it is. Between diabetes/carbs and the fodmap, so many foods are forbidden. I was awake several times last night, because I ate an apple yesterday.. My blood sugar was 106 this am ,but my stomach didn't thank me for eating it, I can tell you that..Peaches and cherries do the same thing to me

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Information about the actual study, excerpts from one article (there are many):

"A review of studies found women who ate

high levels of processed meat

had a 9% increased risk of the cancer compared with those who ate little of it...

...Experts recommend caution about the findings and say the actual risk for individual women is "very small"...

How reliable are the findings?

This review, which included data on more than a million women, shows a link between processed meat consumption and breast cancer risk, but it's not clear if the food is actually causing this.

There are also other pitfalls to consider.

The 15 studies used in the analysis had different definitions of the highest consumptions.

For example, one of the UK studies in the review classed high consumption as more than 9g a day - the equivalent of just two or three rashers a week - while in others it was much higher.

The researchers in the majority of these studies noted what people said they ate and followed them up to see which of them developed breast cancer.

But the problem with this is that people who eat different amounts of processed meat may also have other behaviours that might explain the differences in breast cancer risk, such as being more or less healthy in other ways.

What is the risk?

In the UK about 14 out of every 100 women will get breast cancer at some point in their lives.

That means a 9% increase in risk in this population would be expected to translate into roughly one extra case of cancer in every 100 women.

Cancer Research UK estimates that about 23% of breast cancers are preventable.

It estimates that about 8% of cases are caused by being overweight and obese and another 8% by alcohol.

Authors of this study, published in the International Journal of Cancer, say the link they found is only for processed meat, not red meat.

The WHO lists processed meat as carcinogenic, primarily because of evidence linking it to a raised risk of bowel cancer, while it says red meat is "probably carcinogenic".... "

"...So should we cut out processed meat?

Lead author Dr Maryam Farvid, of the Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health in the US, recommends cutting down on the meat rather than eliminating it.

Currently, the NHS recommends eating no more than 70g of red and processed meat a day.

Dr Gunter Kuhnle, associate professor in nutrition and health at the University of Reading, who was not involved in the study, said it was "questionable" whether people should lower their red and processed meat consumption on the back of this study.

He said the actual risk posed by processed meats was "very small" for the individual and more relevant on a population-wide level.

However, he said the study's findings should be followed up to investigate the links between processed meat and cancer and see whether the associated risk could be reduced, for example through new food production methods."

(full article at: bbc.com/news/health-45720970)

(actual study: onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ijc.31848)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl

This week on Dr. Oz he had doctors on who dealt with the increase in pancreatic cancer in this country ( Number 3 killer now ! )

Bacon and processed meats were definite no-no’s.

Never ate lunch meats; gave up hotdogs about 20 years ago; and now, goodbye bacon for me @ 73.9

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill