Honored Contributor

Re: Bacon Bad???

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot  Truth. I been approaching this subject in this thread from a factual basis, hoping to encourage more people to investigate. Here is the reality...that is the foundation of my opinion on eating sentient beings. It is not just about the health issue but the consideration of how we treat life.   Of course, eating animals is your choice.

Thousands of animals suffer horrible deaths every second, and live torturous lives to be placed on a plate.  It is unconscionable.  People are asleep and uneducated to the facts.  Cultural conditioning and accepting what they knew as a child continues.  It is painful to transition to the truth, which is violent and disrupts the comfortable status quo.  It takes courage and willingness to look at the warzone of animal cruelty. It is ugly.

I want to think if the population saw the films and pictures of how our precious animals live/die daily, their choices would be different.  The positive statement I can make is that economically eventually there will be no choice regarding the consumption of meat/dairy. The tide is turning (too slowly but turning), people are becoming more educated and willing to face the reality.   Facts are easily available, just must have the eyes to see and the ears to hear. I respect you for your stance.  It takes kindness, compassion, and the ability to unlearn your past and face the truth.  

Open hearts and a willingness to investigate, can make a different.

Health considerations aside, fact or not, I wish more people would consider WHERE their meat (and dairy) come from and how the end product makes it's way to their breakfast/dinner table.

Factory farming is totally abhorrant to me and unacceptable.  

How it could be acceptable to anyone is beyond my understanding.

Honored Contributor

Lots of things increase the risk of cancer.  In 2017 there was an article in the NY Times ... Birth Control Pills Still Linked to Breast Cancer, Study Finds

nytimes dot com/2017/12/06/health/birth-control-breast-cancer-hormones dot html

I know several women who had taken bc pills and developed cancer, one who had a stroke, and one who died from blot clot in lungs ... related to bc pills.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Lots of things increase the risk of cancer.  In 2017 there was an article in the NY Times ... Birth Control Pills Still Linked to Breast Cancer, Study Finds

nytimes dot com/2017/12/06/health/birth-control-breast-cancer-hormones dot html

I know several women who had taken bc pills and developed cancer, one who had a stroke, and one who died from blot clot in lungs ... related to bc pills.

@ALRATIBA

When I expressed my concern to my doctor about continuing to take birth control pills because of what I was reading about the problems with them, he told me "You read too much".

That was one of my first experiences with doctors that informed me that I was going to be proactive in my health and not say "Yes, doctor" just because they happened to be a doctor.

Honored Contributor

Yes, @ALRATIBA, lots of things do increase cancer ....birth control pills, smoking, alcohol, meat/dairy.  Lots of things don't increase cancer...plants, veggies, fruits.  The choice is ours to make and decide how we want to live our lives.  

Honored Contributor
For humanitarian reasons I can no longer eat meat with a clear conscious. Farm animals are treated horribly - tortured. I can’t supoort that any longer.
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Yes, @ALRATIBA, lots of things do increase cancer ....birth control pills, smoking, alcohol, meat/dairy.  Lots of things don't increase cancer...plants, veggies, fruits.  The choice is ours to make and decide how we want to live our lives.  

So if we all stop eating anything but plants, fruit and veggies we will live indefinitely? 

So far I have never read any assurances of that...

Honored Contributor

and, so far, I've never heard anyone say we will live indefinitely, at least on this planet.  So I don't disagree with your statement @Trinity11.  

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

You can take a stand on anything @QueenDanceALot  I just think the majority of us are sick of food lectures, and being told what they should eat..It happens all the time here, and  some people break into perfectly harmless threads to scold everyone continually

I am an adult and capable of making those decisions all by myself

@cherry...the worst thing I have ever read here is that people choose to be a Type 2 diabetic with assurances that their diet can cure you. Then they go on to post that those that don't follow their regime want to be sick. 

Food lectures are going to fall on deaf ears when they demean and insult others...

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe  Thank you for your open heart.

@bikerbabe wrote:
For humanitarian reasons I can no longer eat meat with a clear conscious. Farm animals are treated horribly - tortured. I can’t supoort that any longer.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  I will have to get b12 shots forever. I need all the protein I can get. I don't like a lot of vegetables, and I can't eat many fruits. I will do what is best for me, and that means protein. I don't trust veg diets ,and I will never be part of that. I don't care who else wants to do it. I certainly wouldn't tell them not to, but ,that doesn't mean I will follow their lead, or believe their spiel