Respected Contributor

My tests just came in and my vitamin D levels are above normal - 20-50 for normal, mine is 61.  Just going to back off taking extra for awhile.  I do get plenty of sun and probably don't need to take much of a supplement in the summer.  High Vitamin D can be dangerous just as low Vitamin D. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Backing off my Vitamin D

Vit D also can be not so good if you are older and are starting to have a decline in kidney fuction. The doctor just took my husband off Vit D because he has Stage 3 Renal Failure.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 - my kidney function was low in this last test also.  Saw the correlation between Vit D and kidney function - going off! 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  How does one find out what your D3 level is - is this through a blood test?  I don't know if I've ever been tested for how much vitamin D I have or I just don't know where to look for it in my blood panel done at an annual Wellness.

Pls advise if you don't mind.

Honored Contributor

My NP does it via a blood test.

Honored Contributor

Yes, Vitamin D levels are checked thru a blood test. Most not on a supplement come up very low, unles you spend lots of time in sun with no sunscreen. .

Honored Contributor

I just had my blood drawn this morning... fun.... but I marched in and one of my tests is Vitamin D.  I avoid the sun and have most of my life.  My skin actually hurts with the sun on it.  I've had pre-cancerous lesions taken off regardless.  But about a year after moving where we are (sun goes away for about half the year)... my tests came back very low and I'm on a supplement.  Made a huge difference but I watch the numbers too....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Everyone seems to be taking Vitamin D now.  I take it in prescription.  I just got back the results this week again.  My Vitamin D is very, very low.  The nurse said it is so low it boarders on being dangerous.  So, I have to increase it, yet again.

I totally stay out of the sun because some of my medicine says to 'stay out of the sun'.

Anyway, my Dr said when your Vitamin D is very low it can cause pain.  I'm always in pain because of my back so I don't think it matters.

I do know that too much of any vitamins can be dangerous.

I used to go to a Dr that gave me IV's with vitamins in them.  It was a strange feeling and like something from the Twilight Zone, everyone sitting in lounge chairs, feet up with needles in their arms and bags hanging.

When I started feeling better I stopped going.  He mainly treated people who were going through Chemo and boosting their immnity.

Respected Contributor

I started taking it about a year ago 3,000 a day.  I had my blood checked and it was barely 20.  I upped it to 5,000 and added Vitamin K-2 MK-7 and to my surprise my nails that have been thin and crack are strong for the first time in my life.  Hair is growing like a weed too.  

I knew K2 Mk-7 sent calcium to your bones, and teeth instead of your veins, but never expected the nails to improve dramaticly. YeaH!

Esteemed Contributor

I usually use sunscreen but I do try to give myself 10 minutes a day of some sun without sunscreen just to get some vit D.