Honored Contributor

Re: Backing off my Vitamin D

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@blackhole99 - my kidney function was low in this last test also.  Saw the correlation between Vit D and kidney function - going off! 

Good to know. I've taken Vit. D for many years, but get no sun at all unless you consider loading groceries into the car, a well protected (hat, sunscreen) walk w/ dogs) or just getting from car to wherever and back in. Any area of me not adequately protected and I can burn in 10 minutes. I also take several meds that go through my liver and get that checked at my physicals. PCP never mentioned #s were off, so I guess I'm OK.

Honored Contributor

We're all different!

I get plenty of sunshine but I have to take D3 or my levels tank. It is important and I don't skip it.

Honored Contributor

I take Vit D almost daily.    I take a med that makes me sensitive to the sun, so I'm pretty careful about exposure, and run errands early in the day.   Since I get my blood drawn monthly and get the printed results from last month's visit, I'm able to be on top of things.    

Esteemed Contributor

A few months ago, my doctor's office called with my lab results.  The tech.  said he was going to prescribe Vit D for me, with instructions to take one capsule every WEEK for 6 weeks.

Here I live in Florida and I don't get enough sun.  My doctor said 15 minutes a day is all we need.  I don't even get that much......  I finished the Rx Vit D and so far, am not taking any.  I will see him next month and find out if I still need it.....

Honored Contributor

Optimal levles are 50-70 ng/ml

vitamin-d-levels-chart-25-hydroxy-d-optimal-deficient-cancer-excess-ng-ml.gif

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I started taking it about a year ago 3,000 a day.  I had my blood checked and it was barely 20.  I upped it to 5,000 and added Vitamin K-2 MK-7 and to my surprise my nails that have been thin and crack are strong for the first time in my life.  Hair is growing like a weed too.  

I knew K2 Mk-7 sent calcium to your bones, and teeth instead of your veins, but never expected the nails to improve dramaticly. YeaH!

@esmeraldagooch How much K2 Mk-7 are you taking & what brand?

I have a bottle of Andrews but his only has 50 mcg. I read it's recommended 180 mcg per day. I don't think they know for sure how much for a person to take. I was taking 6000 IU of D3 until I opened the last bottle of CoQ10 I bought from Andrew that has an additional 2000 which I don't need. I was only taking 1 of his K2 until I realized it only has 50 mcg so I started taking 2. I had to stop taking the d3 daily since the additional 2000 d3 was added to his CoQ10. My level was already 60+ so really don't need it to go higher.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Optimal levles are 50-70 ng/ml

vitamin-d-levels-chart-25-hydroxy-d-optimal-deficient-cancer-excess-ng-ml.gif

This is so good to show this. I don't think most people know that our levels need to be higher. And it can't get this high by being in the sun here and there. 

I posted recently that I recommended my husband get his levels tested when he was going in for labs. He's outside pretty frequently but his lab number came back low 20s. The nurse told him his number was normal. No, it was under normal, so I had him start taking a higher dose of D3.

With everything I've learned about D3, this is extremely important to keep our levels up. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I called Amdrew's CS last week and complained about his Vit K2, it is a combo of K1 and K2, dont need the extra K!, get there elsewhere, and the K2 is not enough. I will be switching to a different brand, Doctor's Best , twice the K2 of Andrews in one cap.

Most K2 is made from fermented soy called Natto, Andrews is made from flowers, which I am happy about, Doctors Best is made from fermented chickpeas, I prefer that to the soy. And yes, you want your K2 to be MK-7.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz  I take one a day.  It has a residual of 48 hours.  IMG_7984.JPG

Respected Contributor

The spirulinaIMG_7985.JPGIMG_7987.JPG I take also has K-2 in it naturally .