Honored Contributor

Re: Back Ordered Thyroid Medication...

[ Edited ]

@January121 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I take Armour and have never tried your brand, because my Dr didn't recommend it. But ,Armour works well for me, and I can't take any synthetic stuff

Good luck

@cherry  i also take Armour & it works for me 😍

@January121 @cherry 

My doctor did not recommend NP Thyroid. After Armour had a reformulation I switched to Erfa Thyroid out of Canada but they also started having issues a few years after I started taking it. It was just like the old Armour before they reformulated. I was buying 500 tablets for $80. They are still having issues & it's hard to get plus the price more then tripled.

I started doing some research on dessicated thyroid & came across NP Thyroid so that's what I switched to. I don't need a doctor deciding which one I should go with. If they had their way they would have me on levothyroxine. Already been down that road & not going back.

I did try Armour after the reformulation which did not work for me. I feel so much better on NP Thyroid.

When Armour reformulated evidently they had no active ingredient in what they were selling since my TSH went well over 70. I could hardly walk. My legs felt like they were going to give out from under me. I also had muscle spasms in my stomach, back, legs plus I had 0 energy & sleeping a lot.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

ok called Walmart....all they have left is 97.5...and not nearly enough to fill my dosage and no more available...back ordered.  He checked NP Thyroid and has some left in the 120mg's about 30....not nearly enough and said they can't get anymore of this one at all.  The buyer for them can't get stock on it.

So @Nightowlz your area has it but not the rest of the country or perhaps they don't fill enough of this and company says cancel it and not bother is what I am thinking too!

I have to just hope Armour works for me is all...cause that's all I can locate locally.

I feel like crying....this stupid disease and needing a higher amount of medication really mess me up.

@tsavorite 

When I started taking it nobody in town had NP Thyroid in stock so Wal-mart had to order it for me.

They probably had left what was left from my last refill so I bought it. I have enough for at least 2 yr 4 months. I buy a 6 month refill at a time. I tell the doctor I need the 6 month script since I'm using a Good Rx coupon because Ins will no longer pay for it. The main reason I want the 6 month supply is for this very reason of what's going on right now. I have already been thru this at least 3 times.

I would call NP Thyroid. They may be able to help you locate some or at least let you know how long before the warehouses have it back in stock.

I tried Armour after their reformulation & if that's what they are still selling I would not take it. Did not work for me. You could no longer take it sublingually. It was like trying to dissolve a mouth full of chalk.

CHALK! Yes that is the perfect description @Nightowlz 

My new doctor and old one always did 90days....I am praying by the time I get thur the 90day supply the stock on NP or Nature throid will be back around here and I can have her switch script back.  

Like you I have been thur it now 3 times and it is so upsetting!  I also use a good rx coupon as my insurance doesn't pay anything on any of my meds much.  I have them run it thur to compare and every time the Good RX coupon beats it.  I don't know if this new doctor would understand and give me a 6month script....my old one would for sure.  

I am still waiting on call backs from either pharmacy (they got my script ready he said they would need to order it) or the doctors office calling me due to this mess.  They don't take your call and say to NOT call them without waiting 48hrs first and that they will only call you back if there is a problem.  So far I haven't heard a word so I am assuming she understood my crazy voice mail message explaining and simply ok'd the change due to backordered other brand.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I take Armour and have never tried your brand, because my Dr didn't recommend it. But ,Armour works well for me, and I can't take any synthetic stuff

Good luck

@cherry  i also take Armour & it works for me 😍

@January121 @cherry 

My doctor did not recommend NP Thyroid. After Armour had a reformulation I switched to Erfa Thyroid out of Canada but they also started having issues a few years after I started taking it. It was just like the old Armour before they reformulated. I was buying 500 tablets for $80. They are still having issues & it's hard to get plus the price more then tripled.

I started doing some research on dessicated thyroid & came across NP Thyroid so that's what I switched to. I don't need a doctor deciding which one I should go with. If they had their way they would have me on levothyroxine. Already been down that road & not going back.

I did try Armour after the reformulation which did not work for me. I feel so much better on NP Thyroid.

When Armour reformulated evidently they had no active ingredient in what they were selling since my TSH went well over 70. I could hardly walk. My legs felt like they were going to give out from under me. I also had muscle spasms in my stomach, back, legs plus I had 0 energy & sleeping a lot.

I did this too....went on EFRA was getting my orders from Canada....sent them my script.  Then it went MIA....shortages and price like you say tripled...so I once again dumped that one.

I am sick of the thyroid medication shortage merry go round!!

Trusted Contributor

@tsavoriteAnother thing you could try is asking your doc to write up a script with the exact amounts of T4-T3 and bring it to a compounding pharmacy. A lot of people love getting their meds through a compounding pharmacy because they get the exact amount of each T they need.

Naturthroid or NP have leeway with their amounts, which is why sometimes it works well and sometimes it feels like it is not working. Having a % leeway up or down in an ingredient can affect fussy thyroids and symptoms arise.

Compounding pharmacies mix it right there and put it in capsules.

You could try that if you can't find enough for what you need.

Respected Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

@tsavoriteAnother thing you could try is asking your doc to write up a script with the exact amounts of T4-T3 and bring it to a compounding pharmacy. A lot of people love getting their meds through a compounding pharmacy because they get the exact amount of each T they need.

Naturthroid or NP have leeway with their amounts, which is why sometimes it works well and sometimes it feels like it is not working. Having a % leeway up or down in an ingredient can affect fussy thyroids and symptoms arise.

I have heard about some people doing this BUT I have no idea of the cost comparision this would be for me.  

Thanks for the suggestion.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@gabstoomuch wrote:

I have heard about some people doing this BUT I have no idea of the cost comparision this would be for me.  

Thanks for the suggestion.

@tsavorite @gabstoomuch 

I have always wondered about the price of using a compounding pharmacy for my thyroid medication. I used to get bioidentical progesterone cream compounded at the pharmacy. I think it was about twice as much as the OTC Emerita brand I switched to.

I can only imagine what the doctor would say if I told her I wanted to start having it made at the pharmacy. All the doctors I have seen don't like me using dessicated thyroid medication. I have had doctors tell me to find a new doctor because I would not go back on levothyroxine. 

The doctor I have now is new since mine went out on his own not excepting Ins. I have only seen her once & she mentioned I might find another doctor or go to a Naturopath so she may give me the boot too. I'm sick of dealing with doctors just to get my medication. Totally ridiculous IMO. I should have the choice which medication I want to use & the doctors just need to deal with it & not make such a big deal about it. Not my fault most doctors don't know how to test or treat patients using dessicated thyroid medication. They only want to test your TSH. I have to ask for other tests to be run which they also don't like.

@tsavorite 

I hope you get your meds. Is your refill you are waiting on for the NP Thyroid? Hope you like it. I hope they don't start having issues because I don't want to switch.

NP knows what's going on with the other manufacturers so they just need to up production.

Honored Contributor

Surely you need to get lab tests to check your TSH. How do you do that without a DR?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some dosages for this medication might not be on back order. Call the pharmacy and find out. You might be able to take two lower dosage pills that are available and add those up to the doseage you need that’s on back order. Talk to the pharmacist. If there’s a solution

@tsavorite wrote:

Anyone else on dessicated/natural thyroid medication.....mine is Nature Throid....it's not available/backordered everywhere!  I used to be on Armour long ago and then this same thing happened and I bounced around on several different brands then Armour came back on the market but they had changed the formula and it never worked for me as well...hence I got on Nature Throid.  

I feel so upset right now as now I will have to go back to Armour and hope it works out....all the pharmacies in my area don't even have other options!  Told me NP Thyroid is back ordered as well and they have zero idea when that will be back.  Never was on this one but I'd try it before Armour.

For those on synthyroid or others like that this wouldn't apply to you at all....so please don't misunderstand me....this is only for dessicated thyroid meds.  

I just don't understand WHY these manufacturers are doing this....I can't go w/o my medication...and it panics me big time when this happens.  I don't look forward to changing medication brand and hoping it might work for me and then in 6wks I am feeling super bad!

Ok I am done ranting here....I just wish they would stop doing this....every few yrs....it mess with us with hashi's really badly.

@tsavorite wrote:

Anyone else on dessicated/natural thyroid medication.....mine is Nature Throid....it's not available/backordered everywhere!  I used to be on Armour long ago and then this same thing happened and I bounced around on several different brands then Armour came back on the market but they had changed the formula and it never worked for me as well...hence I got on Nature Throid.  

I feel so upset right now as now I will have to go back to Armour and hope it works out....all the pharmacies in my area don't even have other options!  Told me NP Thyroid is back ordered as well and they have zero idea when that will be back.  Never was on this one but I'd try it before Armour.

For those on synthyroid or others like that this wouldn't apply to you at all....so please don't misunderstand me....this is only for dessicated thyroid meds.  

I just don't understand WHY these manufacturers are doing this....I can't go w/o my medication...and it panics me big time when this happens.  I don't look forward to changing medication brand and hoping it might work for me and then in 6wks I am feeling super bad!

Ok I am done ranting here....I just wish they would stop doing this....every few yrs....it mess with us with hashi's really badly.

ask the pharmacist to call the doctor for a rewrite if your RX. 

Honored Contributor

From the mfr’s site:

PRODUCT AVAILABILITY

June 3, 2019

STRENGTHS IN PRODUCTION: Nature-Throid ½ grain (32.5 mg), Nature-Throid ¾ grain (48.75 mg), Nature-Throid 1 grain (65 mg), Nature-Throid 1.5 grain (97.5 mg), Nature-Throid 2 grain (130 mg), and WP 1 grain (65 mg)

Strengths will be listed as they go into production. Availability may vary by location; .

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Surely you need to get lab tests to check your TSH. How do you do that without a DR?

@cherry 

I have labs once per year to check my thyroid levels thru my doctors office.

When we had krappy Ins I would order my labs online at Direct Labs so I could have them done. It saved me money. 

Our Ins is better now. Last time I had labs I only had to pay $10 for my part. DH had 0 out of pocket on his labs. I don't understand why he had 0 out of pocket & I had to pay $10. I used to pay more than that with the previous Ins.