Honored Contributor

Re: Back Ordered Thyroid Medication...

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@Nightowlz   I meant the inconsistency of production.  It's easy when you can order the chemicals.  Not so easy when you are deriving it from livestock and then need to go through FDA testing for purity and efficacy standards.  Just a guess as to what the backorder may be.  

It's great to hear that you are doing well on it.  Heart  

@Laura14 

Nature Throid's reason was updating their machinery?

Every time these companies do this they come back with a much higher price.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz   I have no idea what their specific issue is.  I do know that natural thyroid medication is from animals which is a harder supply and production chain than synthetic which is just mix it, press it, and ship it.  That's all I was commenting on. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Nightowlz   I have no idea what their specific issue is.  I do know that natural thyroid medication is from animals which is a harder supply and production chain than synthetic which is just mix it, press it, and ship it.  That's all I was commenting on. 

@Laura14 

I know. I just hope they can continue to mix it, press it, & ship it. LOL!!! A lot of us out here need it.

I feel so much better on it vs the synthetic. I don't feel tired all the time or brain fog.

I reatined a lot of fluid when I took levothyroxine & levoxyl.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz   Replacing hormones is a tricky, delicate business as anyone who has experience with thyroidism, diabetes, menopause, pms or puberty can tell you.  Glad you found something that works and works well.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Nightowlz   Replacing hormones is a tricky, delicate business as anyone who has experience with thyroidism, diabetes, menopause, pms or puberty can tell you.  Glad you found something that works and works well.  Smiley Very Happy

@Laura14 

My stomach is so queasy today for some reason so I can't eat. I have a headache so ate a piece of dry toast. Need to take one of Andrew's ginger/tumeric capsules.

The NP Thyroid works well for me. I like it better then any of the others I have taken.

Menopause & hormones been there done that. LOL!!! I thought I would go crazy. 

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz  thanks for all the information but I found it online this morning and I called everyone from Costco to Rite Aid Walgreens CVS and on and on!  For some reason they all check the computer (I even speak with the pharmacist to be sure) and say it's back ordered.  Then I ask for other options and they all tell me Armour is the only one currently on hand!  I ask them about NP Thyroid and Costco said it is out of stock back ordered too.  I do take a much higher dose but they can't get any to add them up to fill the order for me (90 day supply is all my new doctor gives/same as the old doctor).  

I do have a small amount on hand to get by for a short while....since switching doctors and he was trying me on other med's (synthyroid + T3) then back again.  I also have been around the merry go round with these manufacturers that suddenly want to reformulate or clean the machines or whatever else they make up and mess up the patients big time that depend on their medication.

I wish I was like the "normal" thyroid patient out there....I could just take the basic amount of T4 only medication and feel great!  I am not that person....and it stinks!!

Is it because I had Hashi's undiagnosed for so long that my thyroid was wiped out before it was discovered? is that the difference between me and others? who knows...I just know I need a much higher dosage to even get in the very basement of normal ranges.  Cost is awful of course but what can I do....I can't function AT ALL without it.

Sorry I am derailing here...I haven't heard anything back from the doc's office....I left a long detailed explanation of what I found out and what is currently available so it will be up to her to decide.  Perhaps in the next few months the NP thyroid or Nature Throid will come back in stock around my area??  

I will be researching online for other options but this is a new doctor and she might not be wanting to deal with this mess.  

Respected Contributor

ok called Walmart....all they have left is 97.5...and not nearly enough to fill my dosage and no more available...back ordered.  He checked NP Thyroid and has some left in the 120mg's about 30....not nearly enough and said they can't get anymore of this one at all.  The buyer for them can't get stock on it.

So @Nightowlz your area has it but not the rest of the country or perhaps they don't fill enough of this and company says cancel it and not bother is what I am thinking too!

I have to just hope Armour works for me is all...cause that's all I can locate locally.

I feel like crying....this stupid disease and needing a higher amount of medication really mess me up.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I take Armour and have never tried your brand, because my Dr didn't recommend it. But ,Armour works well for me, and I can't take any synthetic stuff

Good luck

@cherry  i also take Armour & it works for me 😍

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Nightowlz  thanks for all the information but I found it online this morning and I called everyone from Costco to Rite Aid Walgreens CVS and on and on!  For some reason they all check the computer (I even speak with the pharmacist to be sure) and say it's back ordered.  Then I ask for other options and they all tell me Armour is the only one currently on hand!  I ask them about NP Thyroid and Costco said it is out of stock back ordered too.  I do take a much higher dose but they can't get any to add them up to fill the order for me (90 day supply is all my new doctor gives/same as the old doctor).  

I do have a small amount on hand to get by for a short while....since switching doctors and he was trying me on other med's (synthyroid + T3) then back again.  I also have been around the merry go round with these manufacturers that suddenly want to reformulate or clean the machines or whatever else they make up and mess up the patients big time that depend on their medication.

I wish I was like the "normal" thyroid patient out there....I could just take the basic amount of T4 only medication and feel great!  I am not that person....and it stinks!!

Is it because I had Hashi's undiagnosed for so long that my thyroid was wiped out before it was discovered? is that the difference between me and others? who knows...I just know I need a much higher dosage to even get in the very basement of normal ranges.  Cost is awful of course but what can I do....I can't function AT ALL without it.

Sorry I am derailing here...I haven't heard anything back from the doc's office....I left a long detailed explanation of what I found out and what is currently available so it will be up to her to decide.  Perhaps in the next few months the NP thyroid or Nature Throid will come back in stock around my area??  

I will be researching online for other options but this is a new doctor and she might not be wanting to deal with this mess.  

@tsavorite 

I know I have been thru the reformulation mess & having to find something else to take. 

I would call NP Thyroid to see if they can help. It says on their site it can be ordered & the pharmacy have it in 2 days. Maybe they can tell you which warehouses have it in stock & which pharmacy to order from.

They helped me when I switched over to it after having problems with Armour & Erfa from Canada.

I'm pretty sure I was hypothyroid years before being diagnosed. I think as early as when I had my tonsils removed at 16 or 17. I was having issues swallowing which I still had after my tonsils were removed. That problem did not go away until I started taking thyroid medication. My doctor told me my thyroid was not working at all.

The chart below shows the wholesaler order numbers.

Anyways I think NP Thyroid is like the old Armour before it was reformulated but better. I use it sublingually. I feel better taking this over any other thyroid medication I have taken.

NP Thyroid 1.PNG

NP Thyroid 2.PNG

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

ok called Walmart....all they have left is 97.5...and not nearly enough to fill my dosage and no more available...back ordered.  He checked NP Thyroid and has some left in the 120mg's about 30....not nearly enough and said they can't get anymore of this one at all.  The buyer for them can't get stock on it.

So @Nightowlz your area has it but not the rest of the country or perhaps they don't fill enough of this and company says cancel it and not bother is what I am thinking too!

I have to just hope Armour works for me is all...cause that's all I can locate locally.

I feel like crying....this stupid disease and needing a higher amount of medication really mess me up.

@tsavorite 

When I started taking it nobody in town had NP Thyroid in stock so Wal-mart had to order it for me.

They probably had left what was left from my last refill so I bought it. I have enough for at least 2 yr 4 months. I buy a 6 month refill at a time. I tell the doctor I need the 6 month script since I'm using a Good Rx coupon because Ins will no longer pay for it. The main reason I want the 6 month supply is for this very reason of what's going on right now. I have already been thru this at least 3 times.

I would call NP Thyroid. They may be able to help you locate some or at least let you know how long before the warehouses have it back in stock.

I tried Armour after their reformulation & if that's what they are still selling I would not take it. Did not work for me. You could no longer take it sublingually. It was like trying to dissolve a mouth full of chalk.