Honored Contributor

Re: BRINGING A1C LEVEL DOWN QUICKLY

@mousiegirl,

I fully understood from your post that you are not diabetic.  

The purpose of my post is that a sweet tooth is responsible for your higher A1c.  As soon as you stopped overloading on that carb, your blood sugar levels started coming down on their own and will continue to do so.   You don't need help to drop your blood sugars.  

I keep my cholesterol and triglycerides under 100 because I eat cheerios and oatmeal, but oatmeal does raise my daily blood sugar levels.

Honored Contributor

Exercise will definitely lower chol and glucose levels. When I increased my physical activity then that's when there was the biggest change in my numbers. 

Esteemed Contributor

Probably not eating chocolate covered dried cherries (which are very tasty) and laying off of sugary stuff has reduced the A1c not so much eating oatmeal laden with fruit and raisins.  If the oatmeal is eaten without the fruit, the A1c would be even better.

The A1c measures the average level blood sugar over a three month period.

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

This may be something you already know.  I have always had a normal A!C level, until a few months ago.  For some odd reason, I ate a lot of candy this year, never have had a sweet tooth, and don't bake much due to DH not being able to eat sugar, though he does once in a while.

After the results of my A1C, I had DH test my blood one morning, then two hours after I ate, terrible.  I stopped eating candy, chocolate covered dried cherries was what I had been eating every day before the test.  I began eating oatmeal every morning with a banana and blueberries in it, and within a week, my blood sugar was lowering. The last test a few days ago, and for the past week or so, have been normal.  I won't be having the A1C test again for a while, and will keep monitoring my blood sugar level.

Of course, the first thing my doctor did was send me diabetes material, told her i know just about everything due to DH, having inherited the propensity, has had an issue since I have known him, though he is type #2, and on medication his A1C tests are pretty good, all things considered.  She also told me to watch the carbs,  I have never had an issue with those, and know now that as I suspected, it was the candy, not the carbs, for me, which were the culprit.

So long story short, oatmeal really does help, and of course, no candy.

I was doing good for years..but now, my BS is always around 200! I eat the same foods...I think its my age!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

This may be something you already know.  I have always had a normal A!C level, until a few months ago.  For some odd reason, I ate a lot of candy this year, never have had a sweet tooth, and don't bake much due to DH not being able to eat sugar, though he does once in a while.

After the results of my A1C, I had DH test my blood one morning, then two hours after I ate, terrible.  I stopped eating candy, chocolate covered dried cherries was what I had been eating every day before the test.  I began eating oatmeal every morning with a banana and blueberries in it, and within a week, my blood sugar was lowering. The last test a few days ago, and for the past week or so, have been normal.  I won't be having the A1C test again for a while, and will keep monitoring my blood sugar level.

Of course, the first thing my doctor did was send me diabetes material, told her i know just about everything due to DH, having inherited the propensity, has had an issue since I have known him, though he is type #2, and on medication his A1C tests are pretty good, all things considered.  She also told me to watch the carbs,  I have never had an issue with those, and know now that as I suspected, it was the candy, not the carbs, for me, which were the culprit.

I was doing good for years..but now, my BS is always around 200! I eat the same foods...I think its my age!

@emmygrace ...diabetes rarely stays the same in previously diagnosed diabetics. It is not your fault! Either increase your medication or try adapting a lowered carbohydrate diet (always getting clearance from your endocrinologist) and you should see better results on your glucometer. I am sure you know already that 200 blood sugars will be deleterious to your health. You will get tired all the time and get sick easily. Take care...

Respected Contributor

While I love Oatmeal, Oatmeal doesn't work for me.  It makes my blood sugars spike and that makes me hungry sooner than I should be. Protein and low carbs are what work for me.😊

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@emmygrace wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@emmygrace ...diabetes rarely stays the same in previously diagnosed diabetics. It is not your fault! Either increase your medication or try adapting a lowered carbohydrate diet (always getting clearance from your endocrinologist) and you should see better results on your glucometer. I am sure you know already that 200 blood sugars will be deleterious to your health. You will get tired all the time and get sick easily. Take care...

I am tired all the time...I've been eating this same diet for years now...tried increasing my medication...same results..its in God's hands..thanks Trinity!!! Heart