Honored Contributor

BRINGING A1C LEVEL DOWN QUICKLY

This may be something you already know.  I have always had a normal A!C level, until a few months ago.  For some odd reason, I ate a lot of candy this year, never have had a sweet tooth, and don't bake much due to DH not being able to eat sugar, though he does once in a while.

After the results of my A1C, I had DH test my blood one morning, then two hours after I ate, terrible.  I stopped eating candy, chocolate covered dried cherries was what I had been eating every day before the test.  I began eating oatmeal every morning with a banana and blueberries in it, and within a week, my blood sugar was lowering. The last test a few days ago, and for the past week or so, have been normal.  I won't be having the A1C test again for a while, and will keep monitoring my blood sugar level.

Of course, the first thing my doctor did was send me diabetes material, told her i know just about everything due to DH, having inherited the propensity, has had an issue since I have known him, though he is type #2, and on medication his A1C tests are pretty good, all things considered.  She also told me to watch the carbs,  I have never had an issue with those, and know now that as I suspected, it was the candy, not the carbs, for me, which were the culprit.

So long story short, oatmeal really does help, and of course, no candy.

Respected Contributor

Re: BRINGING A1C LEVEL DOWN QUICKLY

I agree about the oatmeal.  It is a wonderful food and I try to eat it most mornings for breakfast.  I use either old fashioned oats or steel cut oats.  I cook the steel cut on the stove and use the old fashioned oats and make over night oats.

Oatmeal is wonderful for anyone with acid reflux.  They are also a prebiotic.  They are good for anyone trying to lose weight or lower cholesterol too.

Eat your oats everyone!😉😉😉😉

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Losing 20 lbs got me from pre diabetic to a healthy 'normal' range in jsut a matter of months! That was the start of my weight loss journey- so the first 20 lb was pretty steady, without those awful plateaus. 

And yes,  limit sugars - and white/'enriched'  flour products too! I eat steel cut oats  probably 5x a week. I jsut need to make room for it in my daily carb count! 

Respected Contributor

I have a strong family history of diabetes and I try so hard to be vigilant about my eating, weight control, and trying to get exercise in too.  

I strive to eat lower fat, lower simple carbs and high fiber.  

Regular Contributor

Good to hear it works for you 4kitties. I used to eat oat...

[ Edited ]

Good to hear it works for you 4kitties. I used to eat oatmeal everyday to lower my cholesterol level. Didn't work. It also didn't sustain my blood sugar.  I was hungry sooner than I should be.

Yes, I know A1C in not about lowering cholesterol.

Respected Contributor

I have been Type 2 for many years. Since my ordeal over the past several months resulting in a  2nd knee replacement due to a staff infection in my original replacement  from last fall I have really watched my diet and my A1C came down to 5.8. I am off all of my diabtes meds. I have been eating oatmeal for years and add cinnamon which I have heard helps to reduce your blood sugar.. Chocolate covered cherries in abundance is not a good thing. I'm a chocoholic for sure and have a piece of low sugar chocolate every once in a while. Believe me it's hard to not eat something chocolate everyday especially with the holidays upon us !

Respected Contributor

Re: Good to hear it works for you 4kitties. I used to eat oat...

@Shepherd 

Well DERN, I am sorry it did not work for you Shepherd.  It seems to stick with me and makes me feel full.  Each of us have different needs and reactions to foods though.

I wish you the best with your cholesterol battle.  Trying to eat properly and be healthy is not easy!  I just keep plugging away and hopefully do my best.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

This may be something you already know.  I have always had a normal A!C level, until a few months ago.  For some odd reason, I ate a lot of candy this year, never have had a sweet tooth, and don't bake much due to DH not being able to eat sugar, though he does once in a while.

After the results of my A1C, I had DH test my blood one morning, then two hours after I ate, terrible.  I stopped eating candy, chocolate covered dried cherries was what I had been eating every day before the test.  I began eating oatmeal every morning with a banana and blueberries in it, and within a week, my blood sugar was lowering...

...She also told me to watch the carbs,  I have never had an issue with those, and know now that as I suspected, it was the candy, not the carbs, for me, which were the culprit.

@mousiegirl  Candy is loaded with carbs as are oatmeal, bananas and blueberries (to a lesser extent). The oatmeal is a complex carb where the candy isn’t. Check the product labels to see how many carbs are in what you’re  eating. 

edited to add - that everyone’s body reacts to carbs differently. If I ate oatmeal and a banana or just either one by itself my blood sugar would skyrocket. 

Respected Contributor

My glucose level and A1C were both lower range prediabetic so I started reading a forum online for people with Type 1, Type 2 and Prediabetes.  Some can eat oatmeal but others cannot without having their sugar spike.  I guess it all depends on how your body handles it. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I have been Type 2 for many years. Since my ordeal over the past several months resulting in a  2nd knee replacement due to a staff infection in my original replacement  from last fall I have really watched my diet and my A1C came down to 5.8. I am off all of my diabtes meds. I have been eating oatmeal for years and add cinnamon which I have heard helps to reduce your blood sugar.. Chocolate covered cherries in abundance is not a good thing. I'm a chocoholic for sure and have a piece of low sugar chocolate every once in a while. Believe me it's hard to not eat something chocolate everyday especially with the holidays upon us !

@Goodie2shoes   Chocolate covered "dried" cherries, not the syrupy cherries, probably makes no difference in the sugar content though.