Honored Contributor
On 1/8/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Wow, I'd never heard of that side effect before. I haven't tried Losartan, but had problems with Lisinopril and Norvasc. Now I'm on a simple water pill (wished the doc tried this first) and not having any problems. The best part is that it costs me under $3.00 for the month's supply.

Unfortunately, when a person takes a water pill for a long period of time it causes other problems. I am thinking you are probably taking Hydrochlorothiazide because of the cheap price you mention. It works by retaining uric acid and releasing sodium so it also releases water - however, that uric acid can build up and you'll get gout from it. If you are taking lasix - another old and inexpensive water pill - it greatly lowers a person's potassium levels over prolonged use. Not wanting to frighten you but just making you aware these water pills are not as harmless as they may seem.

The fact is EVERY medication and very herbal supplement has side effects.

Super Contributor
On 1/9/2015 happy housewife said:
On 1/8/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Wow, I'd never heard of that side effect before. I haven't tried Losartan, but had problems with Lisinopril and Norvasc. Now I'm on a simple water pill (wished the doc tried this first) and not having any problems. The best part is that it costs me under $3.00 for the month's supply.

Unfortunately, when a person takes a water pill for a long period of time it causes other problems. I am thinking you are probably taking Hydrochlorothiazide because of the cheap price you mention. It works by retaining uric acid and releasing sodium so it also releases water - however, that uric acid can build up and you'll get gout from it. If you are taking lasix - another old and inexpensive water pill - it greatly lowers a person's potassium levels over prolonged use. Not wanting to frighten you but just making you aware these water pills are not as harmless as they may seem.

The fact is EVERY medication and very herbal supplement has side effects.

Very good advice, Happy. It's very important to remember that no medication does only good. There is always a manipulation of our body chemistry involved (after all that's how all medication works) so there is always a potential for harm whether minor or major.

Contributor

I have been on Losartan for a while, with no bad dreams. It was a replacement for the Lisinopril, which did cause me the night cough.

I think changing from bedtime to morning to take your pill is a good idea. I would give that a chance for a couple weeks, to see if the dreams stop. Your body may just need time to adjust.

Trusted Contributor

Started taking losartan in the morning a few days ago and it seems like the strange dreams are getting shorter lol. Last night a nurse was chasing me with a big hypodermic needle to do me in . I outran her!

Contributor
On 1/8/2015 Sammijo said: I'm on Losartan and have not had nightmares. Doc started me on Lisinopril and it caused coughing. Not pleasant. I've only had nightmares from some antobiotics. Good luck.

The only drug that ever gave me nightmares was Lortab, post surgery. Somehow, it caused insomnia AND nightmares at the same time, LOL! I stuck to advil after that.

Chlemma, glad the dreams are improving for you! Maybe they will be totally gone soon.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/12/2015 twingals04 said:
On 1/8/2015 Sammijo said: I'm on Losartan and have not had nightmares. Doc started me on Lisinopril and it caused coughing. Not pleasant. I've only had nightmares from some antobiotics. Good luck.

The only drug that ever gave me nightmares was Lortab, post surgery. Somehow, it caused insomnia AND nightmares at the same time, LOL! I stuck to advil after that.

Chlemma, glad the dreams are improving for you! Maybe they will be totally gone soon.

Thanks twingals04. I sure hope they'll be gone soon, I'm too old to be running from the bad guys {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

I too was told to stay away from meds that are "prils," due to the cough. I take amlodipine but I think it's the cause of a cough I have developed over time. It seems that LOTS of the BP meds can cause a cough. I am having other side effects too that I think are related to my medication.

Super Contributor
On 1/12/2015 makeupaddicted1 said:

I too was told to stay away from meds that are "prils," due to the cough. I take amlodipine but I think it's the cause of a cough I have developed over time. It seems that LOTS of the BP meds can cause a cough. I am having other side effects too that I think are related to my medication.

DH was on amlodipine a few years ago and had to switch to another antihypertensive because he had developed swollen feet and ankles. It's a known side effect and a few weeks after discontinuing it his feet were fine again.

Super Contributor
I have taken a water pill for years (costs about $3) last summer I had to change doctors because my former doctor went concierge on me and I couldn't afford him. Anyway new doctor also prescribed lisinopril....which caused the dry coughing---embarrassing and annoying not to mention it triggered gag reflex and I actually vomited twice. Now switched to losartan a couple of weeks ago. I don't have the bad dreams or nightmares, but feel like I am retaining water. I drink 48-64 ounces of water on most days...anybody else have this?
Super Contributor
On 1/8/2015 Chlemma said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I take this med at night along with my other meds and I'm thinking maybe if I took it in the morning it would make a difference. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing. Time will tell.

Should you take it at night? Most BP meds are to be taken in the morning.