Trusted Contributor
On 1/12/2015 aprildreams said:
On 1/8/2015 Chlemma said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I take this med at night along with my other meds and I'm thinking maybe if I took it in the morning it would make a difference. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing. Time will tell.

Should you take it at night? Most BP meds are to be taken in the morning.

Years ago when I first started taking my bp meds my doctor at that time said to take them at night. When my cardiologist put me on losartin I asked him if I should keep taking it at night and he said yes. Go figure. So now I am taking verapamil ER at night, losartin in the morning. No change in my bp readings at various times of the day/night. Also, last night - no weird dream. Fingers crossed.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/12/2015 aprildreams said:
On 1/8/2015 Chlemma said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I take this med at night along with my other meds and I'm thinking maybe if I took it in the morning it would make a difference. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing. Time will tell.

Should you take it at night? Most BP meds are to be taken in the morning.

BP meds are notorious for causing drowsiness- its recommended to take at night.

Trusted Contributor

Discuss this with your doctor. He/she may have advice on when to take the medication or may be able to prescribe something different that won't cause bad dreams.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/12/2015 makeupaddicted1 said:

I too was told to stay away from meds that are "prils," due to the cough. I take amlodipine but I think it's the cause of a cough I have developed over time. It seems that LOTS of the BP meds can cause a cough. I am having other side effects too that I think are related to my medication.

You are correct, in most instances, though. B/P medications are (not all) the most difficult medication(s) for the body to get use to.

Coughing is a BIGGIE. Restless nights and dreams/ nightmares have been reported more often than NO s.

Hoarness is another side effect. I have never been on any b/p medication, but do dearly listen to my patients.

_Naes

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/9/2015 happy housewife said:
On 1/8/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Wow, I'd never heard of that side effect before. I haven't tried Losartan, but had problems with Lisinopril and Norvasc. Now I'm on a simple water pill (wished the doc tried this first) and not having any problems. The best part is that it costs me under $3.00 for the month's supply.

Unfortunately, when a person takes a water pill for a long period of time it causes other problems. I am thinking you are probably taking Hydrochlorothiazide because of the cheap price you mention. It works by retaining uric acid and releasing sodium so it also releases water - however, that uric acid can build up and you'll get gout from it. If you are taking lasix - another old and inexpensive water pill - it greatly lowers a person's potassium levels over prolonged use. Not wanting to frighten you but just making you aware these water pills are not as harmless as they may seem.

The fact is EVERY medication and very herbal supplement has side effects.

^^^^^^^^^^^You are very in tune with medications, it appears.

Certainly sounds as though you have some good medical insight.

How many patients would know about the URIC ACID/ diurectic/ and GOUT?

Trusted Contributor
On 1/13/2015 GoodStuff said:

Discuss this with your doctor. He/she may have advice on when to take the medication or may be able to prescribe something different that won't cause bad dreams.

I did discuss it with my doctor. She said they all can cause bad dreams. She is not my regular doctor, just taking over for him while he is on medical leave. When he returns if the dreams persist I will ask him about trying something different. In the meantime, looks like taking it in the am is an improvement.