Honored Contributor

Re: BP Checked At Dentist???

I think it really is for your own good. So many people don't get regular checkups, they have no idea  how their blood pressure reads.

Respected Contributor

Probably started because all the meds people take now a days. My neighbor had a heart attack at the dentist office.And A lady at the Church went in to have her car serviced and died. Two shocking stories.Maybe they should take our blood pressure at the car lot. 

Valued Contributor

My dentist takes it all the time and uses the wrist cuff.  At home I use an arm cuff.  I don't like to go to the dentist so of course it could run high.  My eye doctor takes it too. 

Honored Contributor

I have been to dentist and eye doc, (opthamologist)  both in the last 2 weeks and neither took my BP. 

Frequent Contributor

YEs this is a routine check at our Dentist office.

Super Contributor

I was just at the dentist today and no one took my blood pressure. 

Maybe our office is behind the times with regards to that.

Honored Contributor

since I take BP meds, they usually take it before they do anything....I just thought it was routine.
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

All I can say is I'm in shock.  Around here, this just isn't done.  I had no idea......the only place that ever checks my BP is at my doctor's office, or if I would need a medical procedure somewhere like a surgical center.

Same here.  My dentist and oral surgeon don't do this.  Interesting since insurance doesn't cover these procedures (dental & vision) so I wonder if have BP taken adds to the patient cost?  However I think it's a good idea.

Valued Contributor

The dental clinic I go to has routinely taken my BP at every appointment for 30 years. I appreciate it because it's given me a record of my BP through the years and has also alerted me to problems. I don't understand what the big deal is.