Honored Contributor

Re: BP Checked At Dentist???

@FlowerBear wrote:

If you are having a procedure or under anesthesia I can understand it. But if not I hope they dont do it at my dentist! I have enuff anxiety going to the dentist that my BP will not be normal just like when I go to a doctor.

The Podiatrist used to take the BP but my new one does not and Im glad!

The Dentist did at my first appointment there.

Remember we all have the right to deny any procedure to be done to us in any doc's office, I said before I only have my BP taken at my internists office and by myself at home. anyone else I politely decline. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

That's just stupid to check everyone's bp at the dentist.  Sounds like a good way to rack up more insurance $$ for some and out of pocket for others.  And yes, whether billed for it or not, I'm sure you pay.

It would be nice to be optional for those not going to the dr. regularly but unnecesary for those who do and have no problems.  More of everyone must do all these things we don't need to do. 

My dentist always asks if I would like my BP taken. An extra check can never hurt and there is never a fee added for it. I pay the same whether or not my BP is checked.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

My dentist has been doing it for many years and now recently they started doing an oral cancer screening too. I'm all for it, makes me feel like I'm getting more than just a cleaning! 

Honored Contributor

My dentist doesn't do this but my eye doctor has been for several years.

Respected Contributor

About 2 years ago it seems like all my doctors (oncologist, primary care, GYN and dentist) all began taking BP.  I figured it's a liability thing.

Respected Contributor

My dentist takes my BP if he gives me anesthesia for a procedure.

About three years ago, my optometrist wanted to take my blood pressure. I've been going to him for years and this was never done before. I asked why now and was told that it was a new guideline. Untreated high blood pressure can affect your eyesight. The test was not mandatory and I had the option to decline.

Valued Contributor

Probably because a lot of people come to dentist complainingof jaw pain and sometimes its not your teeth but your heart and high blood pressure is a significant sign especially if they find nothing wrong with your teeth.And they will tell you to see your doctor.

cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

No, this has never happened to me. I went in for a cleaning about a month ago. No BP test.
Esteemed Contributor

I think mine does, but I really don’t notice.  I have a cleaning in a few days, now I need to check.

Valued Contributor

I had my teeth cleaned and checked today, but no one checked my blood pressure.  I've never had my blood pressure checked at the dentist and that's just fine with me.