Honored Contributor

Re: BP Checked At Dentist???

Yes mine also does this.

They also take your pic every time you come in. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

For years my dentist and now some other speciality doctors have checked my BP. My dentist will not perform any major procedures like pulling teeth or deep cleanings if my BP is elevated. He said some patients are afraid to come to the dentist which in some cases leads to elevated blood pressure. He also said that you would be surprised at how dental issues/diseases influence/affect blood pressure.

Respected Contributor

I have never heard of such a thing.  I monitor my own BP so I would not have a use for this, as well as the problem of the stress associated with the dentist visit would elevate mine anyway.

Honored Contributor

As long as they do not start to weigh me I am ok with it.....

Honored Contributor

Hi! RN here.
Not only is the dentist’s office a good place to get an extra check for high blood pressure, if the dentist is doing any kind of invasive procedure, elevated blood pressure puts you at risk for excessive bleeding. Hope this helps.
Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I have never heard of such a thing.  I monitor my own BP so I would not have a use for this, as well as the problem of the stress associated with the dentist visit would elevate mine anyway.

I have to agree here, I have terrible White Coat Syndrome, so the only 2 people I allow to take my BP is my internist, and myself at home, so if my denstist starts to ask to take my BP, my answer will have to be no, With White Coat Syndrome you usually get a very high rate that is far rom accurate, so why bother. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I have to agree here, I have terrible White Coat Syndrome, so the only 2 people I allow to take my BP is my internist, and myself at home, so if my denstist starts to ask to take my BP, my answer will have to be no, With White Coat Syndrome you usually get a very high rate that is far rom accurate, so why bother. 

I’m pretty sure they allow for nerves.  My blood pressure is always 10-20 points higher at a doctor’s office than at home.  Sometimes one of the new techs taking it may mention it, and I’ll just say, “Yeah, I know.  I get nervous in a doctor’s office.”  And most places (other than my primary doctor) use just a wrist cuff, and those are not always real accurate.

They’re probably looking for extremes—on both ends.  Not only can that alert you to a possible health problem, but it puts them on alert for any possible problems when doing any procedure on you.  And if it’s too high (or low), I would imagine they could refuse service to protect themselves in case you had a reaction.  Malpractice, and all that.

Respected Contributor

I have terrbible white coat syndrome.  My BP was so high at my last physical, doc gave me an EKG on the spot!  She advised me to take it at home, to see what it really is. It has never been sky high at home like it is in the doctor's office.  And the dentist, forget about it!  I hate having my teeth cleaned (they're very sensitive) and I sit there literally clenching my fists the whole time.  Thankfully I take very good care of my teeth and the visit is short.  I just get stressed around doctors and it's so irrational and I can't control it!

Respected Contributor

My dentist office has been doing this for several years now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx  I could've written your post.  I get all stressed out days before a Dr. or dentist appt. I neglected to see either for a long time,not smart. It's irrational but it's me.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth