Honored Contributor

@CouponQueen  thank you for helping her

Contributor

Update - He went for his outpatient visit for the first time yesterday, and it did not go well. 

The intake counselor said he is still manic.  Now come tomorrow, he will have to be readmitted to a different psyc hospital.

He is still not himself, he seems like he is getting worse on the Abilifiy.

Still agitated, and foggy.

I don't know what to do, when he finds out he is going back in the hospital, its gonna be bad.

I am trying to find support groups, but they don't have any for a few weeks.

I am really at wits end.

Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12  have you looked for online forums? I know it's not as good, but it is better than nothing, and you might get more  help ,than people here ,are able to give you

Esteemed Contributor

@shoppinggirl12, you and your son are in my prayers. I'm sorry things are not going better.

Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12,

Hopefully the key to success is thru inpatient treatment at a different psych facility.   

The hospital I retired from had a top notch psych unit, and a long list of “regulars”, who were in and out frequently.   Patients who had problems after discharge, learned to return to the ER for readmission; there was no calling the unit and leaving messages about what the patient is or isn’t doing, or expecting callbacks from staff.  

Trying to help patients with mental illness is very different from helping patients with physical illnesses.   I’m afraid your work is cut out for you, as you navigate this road with your son.    

Valued Contributor

@shoppinggirl12I will add you and your son to my prayers each day. 

I so empathize with you. 

I have a best lifelong friend and a family member that suffer. 

May you find the strength to fight every single day for your child and not suffer too much yourself in the process.

Very best wishes.

Respected Contributor

@shoppinggirl12~

I don't think we have ever chatted here before, but that doesn't matter. Just want you to know that I have lit a Candle for You and your Son.  HeartHeart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Contributor

Mistic - Thank you so much.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.  I am so stressed. 

Valued Contributor

Re: BI-POLAR DIAGNOSIS

[ Edited ]

I have two daughters that are Bi-polar. Over the years we've had some ups and downs. The most important thing is that your son take his meds and have regular check ins with his Dr. There may be some tweaking of his meds for awhile, it's a process. He'll be fine and just remember this he and you will be ok.

Wanted to add that my grandson is also, he's 31,

If he isn't sleeping I agree that he's still in a mania.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You have a computer, you should Google it.  Didn't they have a family meeting before he was discharged?  That's where the docs and therapists and social workers would explain everything to the family?  If he's having trouble sleeping, he should have called his doctor or the contact at the person.  It's possible that his med need to be adjusted or perhaps it's something that he should expect and learn to adjust to.  Perhaps he was just adusting to be home again.   I don't think going to your house was the best thing for him, you just don't have a good handle on any of this stuff and while you love him, I think you are most concerned with how his illness affects you.  The fact is Bipolar Disorder isn't one single disease, there are several levels with different manifestations and there's no cure.  He's going to has ups and downs throught his life.  This is just the very beginning for him.  Yes, many people do learn to manage the disease and live good lives but it doesn't go away.  Honestly, I don't know why your are so stressed, sad, overwhelmed.  If I were in your position, I'd be happy that my son has been diagnosed and that that he's being treated and that he has a girlfriend who is standing with him through this.  If you are thinking that you should have seen this coming when he was a kid or that it's somehow your fault....stop.  That just is not true.  It doesn't matter what he had or did not have back when he was kid.  Live in the present and try to be a positive influence in his life.  

@chrystaltree Not the time nor the place for your usual biting "humor" or tough love or whatever you call it.  OP is a Mom, she's desperate.  If you have nothing to add to help, then don't, not here.