Honored Contributor

Re: BCBS class action notice

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I got one too.  I will have to see if I can find all my info.

I have received checks in the past from such lawsuits.  I don't think any check was over $20.  Not sure this is worth my time.

Other than my contact info. there  were three boxes I believe I had to fill out then hit submit.  The lowest class action check I have ever seen was for just over $6,00.  For a few moments of my time it is worth it.  They said you did not need the i.d. numbers to file if you no longer have them.  You will be in the system somewhere.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

The lawyers get the majority of the money

If people would stop filing, they would quit these silly "class action suits"

Just another way for lawyers to get rich.

Respected Contributor

We did not receive one from BCBS even though we are covered through DH's employer.  We did just get one from AT&T.   It took less than a minute to submit online.  We'll get either a check or statement credit for $13.

Valued Contributor

It is a pretty easy form.  I often file these for class action stock suits.  The only time I don't file is when it is for a stock that I acquired through several different spin-offs and buyouts from years past.  I would need to be a detective to find the paperwork.  Some of my checks have been a couple of hundred dollars.  I will fill out to see what happens.

Honored Contributor

I got it, skimmed it and shredded it.  Can't they ever just write these things in easy to understand, brief language?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I got the notice and put in my current policy information. Who knows how much we will get? What the heck, I decided, just do it. And the website says you don't have to have the exact information. Last year I got a free month due to BCBS of my state not having spent enough on health care to justify their fees. This is from the Affordable Care bill, Obamacare bill. It already costs me almost $1400 a month on the ACA marketplace. Waiting to hit Medicare, like a lot of others!

Valued Contributor

@Growing , felt like I won the lottery when I went on medicare! 

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I received a notice that "if you purchased or were enrolled in Blue Cross or Blue Shield insurance between 2008-2000 you could be entitled to cash settlement from $2.67 billion fund...."

Anyone else? 

I went to the claim site and began to register. In order to complete the claim one has to know the policy number, group number and dates etc. This is so frustrating because the company knows who had insurance at the time of the settlement. 

Anytime I have ever filed one of these class action settlement calims I might have gotten a few dollars at most. 

You will be lucky if you ever see a dime from any type of 'class action' lawsuit.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi  @KatieB  @kitty60  @Growing  @gidgetgh 

This is a LEGITIMATE class action suit.  They are going to a LOT of trouble to try to reach people that were covered as early as 2008.   Not an enviable job, IMO.

First, the actual funds that will be paid out, after lawyers' fees is $1.9 billion.

Secondly ... You DO NOT have to have all the information & minor details to register ... your name, what you had, state, and a couple other things will do it.  If you have more information, that's great, but many receive a special code or ID which indicates they already know you were covered.

Some people have received post cards, but many have been contacted by email, based on the information BCBS had as contact information for you while coverage was in place.

Deadline to register is November 5, 2021.   Payments will start early 2022, so don't hold your breath.   I haven't read all the criteria which affects how much you might receive (it will be based in part of how many claimants register.  You can also opt out.).    

Third ...  It will take about 3 minutes to complete your registration.   If you get even a paltry $50 one year from now, when was the last time you got $50 for 3 minutes of effort? 

If you would like to read more about this, the site is bcbssettlement dot com.  

If you tossed the first one, and receive another notice from them .... DON'T throw the notices out!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@granddi  @KatieB  @kitty60  @Growing  @gidgetgh 

This is a LEGITIMATE class action suit.  They are going to a LOT of trouble to try to reach people that were covered as early as 2008.   Not an enviable job, IMO.

First, the actual funds that will be paid out, after lawyers' fees is $1.9 billion.

Secondly ... You DO NOT have to have all the information & minor details to register ... your name, what you had, state, and a couple other things will do it.  If you have more information, that's great, but many receive a special code or ID which indicates they already know you were covered.

Some people have received post cards, but many have been contacted by email, based on the information BCBS had as contact information for you while coverage was in place.

Deadline to register is November 5, 2021.   Payments will start early 2022, so don't hold your breath.   I haven't read all the criteria which affects how much you might receive (it will be based in part of how many claimants register.  You can also opt out.).    

Third ...  It will take about 3 minutes to complete your registration.   If you get even a paltry $50 one year from now, when was the last time you got $50 for 3 minutes of effort? 

If you would like to read more about this, the site is bcbssettlement dot com.  

If you tossed the first one, and receive another notice from them .... DON'T throw the notices out!

@Tinkrbl44 - I appreciate your post.  I would be doing this for my father and husband, both are deceased, estates have been probated and closed, and myself.  And all three of us had Blue Cross through employer health care, not direct purchase from an agent. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?