Honored Contributor

Re: BBC report regarding alcohol and breast cancer

I don't drink. I cannot stand the smell or taste of alcohol. All I do is throw up.

I can drink a few different daiquiri's but they are full of sugar. I also like lemonade & Everclear 190. LOL!!! You can get drunk on this pretty quick or I do since I never drink. 

I can drink Everclear & Rum I guess because they don't have much taste or smell.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@sidsmom, I am a bit confused with your post.  Did you really mean to say that doctors advise cardiac patients to eat a high fat diet?  I have never heard of such a thing.  Cardiac patient or not, cholesterol levels are always a concern.  And more of a concern for people with cardiac issues.  

@PamfromCT @sidsmom 

My last doctor visit I was told I could eat all the meat I want??? I told her I did not think that was very good with all the stuff that's in it. I told her I do eat meat but I'm not eating all I want. 

Esteemed Contributor

Somehow I can’t get over the OP stating that she is tired of feeling guilty every time she has a drink.

Is someone making her guilty?  Is she guilty because she drinks more than indicated?  Is she guilty because she is already aware of the link?

It is an odd statement.

If I am being “bad” and have a piece of pie with whipped cream, I just joke that there goes the fat allocation for the year.  Guilty?  Nope.

Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Just read (June 19) a report saying that there is a defenite link between alcohol and breast cancer.  My question is this:  If this is such a sure thing, then why is it not being reported all over the place?  I have had breast cancer and I do consume 1-3 drinks per week on average.  I am a good weight, excercise, eat mostly a mediterranean diet, don't smoke and in general try to live a "clean" life.  Frankly, I am tired of feeling guilty each time I do have a drink even though my doctors never said to abstain completely. So is this something that ALL women should be preached to about just as we all were told that smoking causes lung cancer?  Or is it one of those inconclusive studies yet to be determined???

I just read that article and the point was that many women don't know alcohol consumption is a risk factor for breast cancer.  So it sounds like they are also asking why this isn't being more widely reported.  If you have 1-3 drinks a week, that is far below what they say is a recommended limit.  Maybe I'm looking at a different BBC article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48677953

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Mom passed away from horrific cancer which made its presence known in the form of breast cancer, 

She ate a healthy diet , which focused on vegetables, and fruits, never took HRT, never drank alcohol, never smoked, was never overweight.

She is one of those women who it just was.