Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: Have You Ever worked for a Surgeon?

@RinaRina wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I was going to suggest the waiting list.  Maybe that will pan out for you, though, and you'll get the surgery a bit sooner.  I would want to have confidence in my surgeon, so I suppose that's why you want to stick with this one.  It's better to have it done right than a couple of months earlier.  I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

Why not call this surgeon's office or another of your doctors and ask for suggestions about how you can prevent other orthopedic strains while you wait.  Would a knee brace or something like that help you in the meantime?  Best of luck!

I totally agree with everything you've said.  I'm on the waiting list, but there are 54 peeps ahead of me.  So, I'm #55.  Woman Sad  I have another app't w/ him this Thursday and will address the other issues;  a knee brace was on the list.  I'm also wondering if compression hose would help.  I do use compression knee sleeves, but they're so tight (on my swollen knee), I wonder if they're bad for circulation .... ?

You could try compression, but it might well just make the knee more painful, especially if there are any fluid build-up issues you're not aware of. And you might think it feels better when you first put something on, but have increasing pain and swelling throughout the day. I have never had any sort of relief from genuine compression, only from just not bending the knee, i.e. a sleeve-type elastic compression, but not a tight firm compression, which made my pain worse.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

This is good advice Crystaltree has provided.

I'd add a few things: 

get a walker,

do you have a community center with a pool and spa?; 

make a concerted effort to lose weight,

And, of course, the goal of this is to ask for and NSAID, if possible.

Again, get proactive and got to it!

God Bless.

=============

Thanks.  Heart

-Ordered a cane b'c I don't think I could walk my dog w/ a walker.

-Pool - yep -- a "hot" one

-Weight - up until 2 weeks ago, I "looked" kinda thin.  Now, my knees are so swollen ...

So, 2X/day I apply Essential Oils and put on the knee sleeves, then I put on fleece leggings.  THEN, on top of the fleece leggings I put on fleece ski pants (so I can't smell the oils).  I look like the Pillsbury Doughgirl.  LOL!

Got 'em!

BRAND NAMEGENERIC NAME
Advil, Motrinibuprofen
Alevenaproxen sodium
Ascriptin, Bayer, Ecotrinaspirin
"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina,  my husband had a hip replacement last July and he had to wait for his surgery too, like 2-3 months..  He limped about and took his pain meds to get him by. 

I hope you can get yours sooner but if not, please try to hang in there and stay positive.  Just think, after the wait you'll recoup and down the road your knee will feel so much better.  Prayers for a speedy recovery! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

I'd add a few things: 

get a walker,

God Bless.

=============

Thanks.  Heart

-Weight - up until 2 weeks ago, I "looked" kinda thin.  Now, my knees are so swollen ...

So, 2X/day I apply Essential Oils and put on the knee sleeves, then I put on fleece leggings.  THEN, on top of the fleece leggings I put on fleece ski pants (so I can't smell the oils).  I look like the Pillsbury Doughgirl.  LOL!

Got 'em!

BRAND NAMEGENERIC NAME
Advil, Motrinibuprofen
Alevenaproxen sodium

=======

Come to think of it, I am going to have to watch my weight since I can't walk my dog 2 hrs. a day anymore.  I can BARELY walk him for 20 minutes.

This morning it was only 15 min. because he was cold.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Good luck with trying to get around on just a cane after TKR surgery, I don't think I could've managed on just a cane at first after the surgery, but if you can, more power to ya'. 

The walker was waiting for me beside my bed when I woke up from surgery in the hospital.   I used the walker for a few weeks until I "graduated" to the cane, plus my walker has a pouch on it so I could carry a few things with me.

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

I'd add a few things: 

get a walker,

God Bless.

=============

Thanks.  Heart

Got 'em!

BRAND NAMEGENERIC NAME
Advil, Motrinibuprofen
Alevenaproxen sodium

=======

Come to think of it, I am going to have to watch my weight since I can't walk my dog 2 hrs. a day anymore.  I can BARELY walk him for 20 minutes.

This morning it was only 15 min. because he was cold.

@RinaRina

One thing: is your primary care physican aware of the fact that you're taking 3 NSAIDS? Suggest you run this by him/her.  Too many over a protracted period can take its toll (like kidneys).

*After surgery you WILL have a walker at your bedside.  It's a fact of knee replacement surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Attn: If You've Ever worked for a Surgeon?

I have no idea why my post was deleted, as was another post with the same message.

I wished the OP good luck and asked her to keep us informed as to her progress and also said I hoped she was  having this surgery done by a Neurosurgeon  The  other poster said practically the same thing and that post was also deleted.  Is there anything wrong with Neurosurgeons????

Anyway, again, I wish the OP luck and hope she gets her surgery done ASAP.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

I have no idea why my post was deleted, as was another post with the same message.

I wished the OP good luck and asked her to keep us informed as to her progress and also said I hoped she was  having this surgery done by a Neurosurgeon  The  other poster said practically the same thing and that post was also deleted.  Is there anything wrong with Neurosurgeons????

Anyway, again, I wish the OP luck and hope she gets her surgery done ASAP.

Neurosurgeons specialize in brain and spinal issues - the OP is having a knee replacement.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949  Sorry, you are right.  I was thinking of another thread where the poster was having surgery on some disc (L4-L5).... Maybe that thread is still here or not.... If that thread is still here, maybe my post is too.....

Again, sorry about that......Anyway, I hope she has a good result with the TKR.....

ETA - I just found the other thread.  It's still here.  Hmmm, I wonder how I could have made such a stupid mistake..... Oh well.... Anyway, thanks for pointing it out to me.  Have a good one.....  Hope it's warming up for you today in Fl.....

Respected Contributor

A little off topic....(kind of).  A few years ago I had a lump in my lymph nodes.  They scheduled surgery for 6 weeks from when it was detected.  When I got home I was bawling.  I couldn't wait 6 weeks to find out I had cancer.  I also pictures the cancer growing for 6 weeks. I called the surgeons office crying and told them if they couldn't do it I had to go somewhere else.  I couldn't take it mentally.  Guess what?  They scheduled me for the following week.  I can't remember how many days, but I think it was less than a week.  I was so grateful and told them! 

My situation was a bit different but I just thought I'd mention my experiences.  I'm sure not saying to call crying wanting to be moved up on the list.  If it wasn't life or death, I'd probably wait it out.