Respected Contributor

Re: Attn: If You've Ever worked for a Surgeon?

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Also, remember joint replacement surgery is elective surgery. It is not a life or death situation. If it was a life or death situation, I am sure they would have scheduled you swiftly.  In most cases you have discomfort but it is not going to kill you to wait. 

If you live alone, you may have to hire someone to take care of you.  For me, this would be a serious situation because of the cost.  I guess it's hard to imagine how bad of a situation this can be.  It's also more than "discomfort."  It's agonizing pain.

Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: Have You Ever worked for a Surgeon?

@RinaRina wrote:

@SeaMaiden,

Wow!  Amazing.  Thanks.  

@RinaRina

You are welcome!   Sorry some people are so nasty. A great website to read up on joint replacement and ask questions  and get great information is bonesmart.org.  I used this website prior to and after surgery to make friends and talk.

Respected Contributor

I work with surgeons, not for them, everyone who needs knee resplacement surgery is in serious pain, your case isn't an emergency. Yes, they do block some time for real emergencies.  You have nothing except a visit booked with that second doctor, if he recoomends surgery, it's likely you'll have to wait until sometime in the summer.  So, unless you have a serious reason for not wanting the first doc to do it, stick with that doctor.  Call his office and speak with the scheduler.  Let her know that if the doc has a cancellation, you would appreciate it if they could move your surgery into that slot.  That's commonly done because surgeons book or time and they HATE cancellations.  It's flu and cold season, a lot of elective surgeries are cancelled.  And don't whine about pain, as I said all their paients are in pain and your surgery is already on the scheduled.  However, you can ask about medication for your pain.  Perhaps, they can adjust your meds or order something new to make you more comfortable until you have the surgery.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I don't understand the need to be condescending to other posters. 

Never have and never will. When I see behavior like this, I pray that old age or my circumstances don't make me bitter enough to lash out at people I don't even know for the sake of doing so. It's really disturbing.

Honestly I don't see that anyone is being condescending to the OP.  I am sure we all sympathize with her and wish her freedom from pain asap.  BUT . . .  if she has scheduled with one doctor for surgery already she should immediately release that date so that someone else who is in pain can take that opportunity for relief.  There is always another surgeon out there who will come highly recommended by someone.  There is no way to know what the eventual outcome of surgery will be, regardless of which surgeon does the work.  If her pain is severe she needs to schedule with someone asap - waiting another month would be worthwhile if she feels strongly that that surgeon is best for her, and she can tolerate the pain. No one schedules knee surgery if they are not in pain, and doctors are retiring every day due to the new regulations. We live in a "nest" of doctors. 

As for old age making you bitter, I suspect that when you reach old age you'll realize that the far greater problem than age is the presumed entitlement of the young.   Just last Saturday I was literally knocked against the door to the Firestone Tire store by a young woman who literally ran across the parking lot and jammed her shouler into me to get through the door (which I was already opening) before me.  Fortunately the attendants saw what she did and asked her to step aside. She was "offended" and left.  Thanks, Firestone guys!  BTW, I am presently approaching 82, and I am neither bitter or entitled, so I speak from experience.  

Honored Contributor

@Perkup  The offending post was moved by the moderator. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks, Moderators.  But I thought it deserved a reply!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@SeaMaiden,

Wow!  Amazing.  Thanks.  

@RinaRina

You are welcome!   Sorry some people are so nasty. A great website to read up on joint replacement and ask questions  and get great information is bonesmart.org.  I used this website prior to and after surgery to make friends and talk.

Thanks again.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Attn: If You've Ever worked for a Surgeon?

@fortune wrote:

If you live alone, you may have to hire someone to take care of you.  For me, this would be a serious situation because of the cost.  I guess it's hard to imagine how bad of a situation this can be.  It's also more than "discomfort."  It's agonizing pain.

Yes, I do live alone.  I've joined knee replacement groups, so I know what I'm in for.

At least in April it won't be snowing (hopefully) and the weather will be getting warmer.

That'll be some relief.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

I don't have any advice for you - but I am sorry you're in such discomfort.

Hang in there -

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no idea why my post was removed. 

My husband is an orthopedic surgeon and his practice does set aside time for emergencies.  They evaluate what they deem to be medically urgent.  They also help patients cope with pain until elective surgery can be done.

Again I wish the OP good luck.