Respected Contributor

Attn: Have You Ever worked for a Surgeon?

[ Edited ]

Have you ever worked for a surgeon?

I have a MAJOR problem and need your advice.  As many of you already know, I've been looking for a Dr. to do my knee replacement.  I picked one 2 weeks ago and then switched to another.   The only problem is, he's booked up until MAY.  My surgery is scheduled for the 4th week in April.

I am in excruciating pain.  I can't walk ... I mean BARELY. 

Are there any circumstances under which a surgeon would move up a surgery date?  Do they have ANY flexibility in their schedules?  Don't they keep some slots opened for emergencies?

What do I have to say to get him to understand, I can't -- I CANNOT wait 4 months.

Honestly, I won't make it.  I'll have to go back to the other Dr.

Please HELP!
TIA!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
QVC Customer Care

Re: Attn: If You've Ever worked for a Surgeon?

Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: Have You Ever worked for a Surgeon?

@RinaRina wrote:

Have you ever worked for a surgeon?

I have a MAJOR problem and need your advice.  As many of you already know, I've been looking for a Dr. to do my knee replacement.  I picked one 2 weeks ago and then switched to another.   The only problem is, he's booked up until MAY.  My surgery is scheduled for the 4th week in April.

I am in excruciating pain.  I can't walk ... I mean BARELY. 

Are there any circumstances under which a surgeon would move up a surgery date?  Do they have ANY flexibility in their schedules?  Don't they keep some slots opened for emergencies?

What do I have to say to get him to understand, I can't -- I CANNOT wait 4 months.

Honestly, I won't make it.  I'll have to go back to the other Dr.

Please HELP!
TIA!

You have two choices: You can go with the surgeon you want or the date you want. Other people are also in pain and you're basically asking the doctor to push their surgeries out to make room for you.

And your pain, as terrible as I'm sure it is, does not constitute a medical emergency. 

If your surgeon can't do the surgery sooner, then you can contact other surgeons in the area (or outside the area - many people travel hours away for surgery) and see if they can, but you'll need to start the process over or go back to the surgeon you didn't like two weeks ago and hope he isn't all booked up now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't understand the need to be condescending to other posters. 

Never have and never will. When I see behavior like this, I pray that old age or my circumstances don't make me bitter enough to lash out at people I don't even know for the sake of doing so. It's really disturbing.

@RinaRina  I hope you get better and are able to get your surgery soon. Medical care in the US is not as good as many think. I lived abroad in a developing country for a year and I can tell you first hand that it's all about making money in the States. I received far better service and care from doctors and the medical field outside the US. 

Waiting so long for an operation when the OP is in so much pain is unacceptable IMO. I know this is not the way it has to be. She is doing her due diligence to make sure she gets the best surgeon possible. I don't see a problem with that. 

Insurance, medical care and prescriptions in the US are expensive because the industry makes it so. How is it that I find much cheaper medicine and medical care in a developing country than in the US? And no, the government is not subsidizing anything there. It's made affordable so people can have access to the medicine and care they need. Period. And it's unheard of to wait that long for an appointment or a surgery.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  I was using crutches to get about prior to my bilateral total knee replacement.  I had to wait just like you.  Many people are in horrible  pain prior to joint replacement.  You could ask to be put on a call list if an opening came up from a cancelation . 

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden

HOW long did you have to wait? 

His surgical coordinator told me she could put me on his waiting list.  There are 54 people ahead of me.

I'm on the list, so, right now, I'm #55.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Also, remember joint replacement surgery is elective surgery. It is not a life or death situation. If it was a life or death situation, I am sure they would have scheduled you swiftly.  In most cases you have discomfort but it is not going to kill you to wait. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina I had to wait Three months. Stay positive.  I used the time wisely. Preparing for surgery, what I would need at home, reading up on what to expect, etc. when the surgery date was looming, I was ready for it in a good way. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden,

Wow!  Amazing.  Thanks.