Trusted Contributor

Re: Attending wakes at this time

I would not even consider it. None of us can take chances right now. Send a beautiful card with your heartfelt words, I'm sure that would mean a lot to them. 

Honored Contributor

Last summer we drove 500 miles to attend the service for a dear neighbor who had moved away.  We were assured everyone would be wearing masks.  Well, they weren't.  Had I known we wouldn't have gone.

Frequent Contributor

I went to a wake a few weeks ago for the wife of a dear friend.  I walked into the funeral home, signed the guest book , paid my respects to her husband and left.  I was inside for less than five minutes.

I also attended the funeral mass.  It was a rather large church, everyone was masked and socially distanced.  

I felt comfortable doing both.   I'm in NY and it was prior to the small uptick here.

But I recommend doing what you are comfortable with.   I'm sure other ways of paying your respects such as a card would be appreciated and understood during this time.

Valued Contributor

Do what you feel is right for you.  I attended one large visitation a few months ago and in spite of all the signs at the mortuary telling you what to do and not to do, with a crowd there was no social distancing as we all stood in line.  Then, as we approached friends and family of the deceased that we knew, everyone was shaking hands and hugging.  You have to protect yourself, a note written from the heart would be more appropriate, especially if you are in a high risk group.  These written condolences can be a great comfort later when all the craziness has passed.  Often families are in such a state of shock at the time they don't even remember who was present as those days are a blur.

Respected Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Do what you feel is right for you.  I attended one large visitation a few months ago and in spite of all the signs at the mortuary telling you what to do and not to do, with a crowd there was no social distancing as we all stood in line.  Then, as we approached friends and family of the deceased that we knew, everyone was shaking hands and hugging.  You have to protect yourself, a note written from the heart would be more appropriate, especially if you are in a high risk group.  These written condolences can be a great comfort later when all the craziness has passed.  Often families are in such a state of shock at the time they don't even remember who was present as those days are a blur.

A handwritten note is a wonderful idea...include some memories and recollections. Great suggestion! or a donation to a favorite charity works and mention your donation in his memory in your note.

Super Contributor

I attended a wake of a family friend who died suddenly a couple months ago.  My friend who was also attending made sure she called the funeral home to confirm they would be doing social distancing and no one would be hugging or shaking hands and masks would be worn.  The funeral home assured her that would be the case.   Well, I attended the afternoon wake and she was going to go in the evening.  I got there and everyone had a mask on but there were many people there and everyone was hugging.  I was so, so uncomfortable.  I texted my friend to give her the heads up.  She decided to drop by in the evening to see what was going on as well.  She ended up not going in as she saw the line into the funeral home was super busy and everyone was close to one another.  You just never know!!

I am now faced with the same dilemma this afternoon as my nephews grandparents both just passed within hours of each other so they are having a joint viewing.  It is a two hour round trip and I'm thinking of going right at the beginning as they were older and there should not be as many people there as the family is small.  I am NOT going to hug anyone and I pray that is not going to be awkward as I love them all but am leery.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Last summer we drove 500 miles to attend the service for a dear neighbor who had moved away.  We were assured everyone would be wearing masks.  Well, they weren't.  Had I known we wouldn't have gone.

@depglass , I think this happens a lot.  People start off with good intentions and then it goes down the drain.

My best friend attended a wedding a couple of weeks go. The ceremony was outside but the reception was inside.  She said the reception started with people wearing masks but of course if you are eating or drinking you don't wear one and once the masks came off, they never went back on.