Honored Contributor

Re: Attending wakes at this time

If there is going to be lots of hugging and close contact, that means social distancing will not be in place.

I attended a memorial mass a few months ago for a relative who passed in April when you couldn't really do anything.  It turned out to be no social distancing prior to the mass starting because we were all in the front of the church hall area and then went in a procession up the aisle into various pews.  At that point there was social distancing.  Everyone did have a mask on.

If you would be uncomfortable, I would not attend. 

Honored Contributor

I would go VERY early, before the mourners got there.  Sign the book and leave. Leave quickly.  Get yourself to the car.  

My husband passed away in July.  I did not have a visitation for him.  First, I didn't think I could emotionally handle it and second, Covid.

Two and a half weeks ago we did a graveside service to bury his ashes.  14 people total, all wearing masks and we maintained as much distance as we could from each other.  Very brief, but really nice service. I have to say that I was relieved when 14 days had passed and no one reported getting sick.  We were extremely careful.  We were outside of course and  I limited the attendees because of Covid. I didn't want a small Covid outbreak on my conscience. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Many places are making accomodations for those who may not be uncomfortable attending gatherings.  If you feel you need to pay your respects in person you could check into how they are doing things before making a decision

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

We live in Michigan and went to a funeral home recently. Only 10 people allowed in visitation room at a time. No hugging. Just signed book, paid our respects to family and left.

If there are too many, others waited in hall or outside. Funeral home staff supervised it all carefully. Masks of course on all. We felt safe.

in and out in 10 minutes.

Honored Contributor

Family member or close friend would not hesitate in going, no question whatsoever.  An acquaintance ect... no.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Many places are making accomodations for those who may not be uncomfortable attending gatherings.  If you feel you need to pay your respects in person you could check into how they are doing things before making a decision

I agree, @CrazyDaisy .  But I think you might want to edit your post to say "for those who may be uncomfortable" or "for those who may not be comfortable."

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

We have a dilemna.  There is an upcoming wake to be held for a young (38) person which I expect to be very well attended by all of his friends and family.  Some are from out of town.   This young man was our neighbor across the road for many years and my own children spent much time with him.  I am hesitant to go because of Covid.  I know masks and SD will be in place but I also know there will be lots of hugging and close contact which I want no part of right now.  Would you go?  We though if we go early and things look "OK" we'll pop in quickly.  If not then we can always leave. So torn...

Lots of hugging from strangers from out of town? That'd be a heck no.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

It would not be wise to go.  It would put your health at risk.  IMHO there is a lack of judgement in having such a gathering.

Trusted Contributor

I personally wouldn’t go. We were supposed to have a funeral for my brother in September but it had to be cancelled because covid was ramping up. 

It’s just not safe to have gatherings of any kind at this time

Honored Contributor

I would not go. The more contact you have with others the more chance you have of getting sick.