Super Contributor

I'm going to start training for my first 5K and I know this sounds silly, but do people use iPods?
I used to power walk and due to health reasons I gained about 50 lbs. I want/need to do this for myself to prove to myself that I can. I miss exercising and it will be a struggle at first, but I'm so excited! I'm just so out of the loop as to what kind of device runners use these days.
Thanks!!

War Eagle!
Occasional Contributor

Give podrunner a try.  It's free exercise music mixes you download onto your iphone.  Download the app through the app store.

Super Contributor

Thank you so much, but I don't have an iPhone. Yikes!!

War Eagle!
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on setting this goal for yourself!  I was in a similar situation when I started running last year and had no idea about running gear and accessories.  About about a month into my training, I started listening to music on my runs.  It made a world of difference. I struggled at first, too, but 4 months later I ran my first 10K.  Music is a great tool to break up the monotony and keep you motivated.  I created my own playlists on my smartphone, and of course you can do the same thing with your iPod.  Google "iPod running music" and you will find lots of information.  You can create playlists with songs to help you keep your pace. and there are websites to help you identify songs at various beats per minute (like "BPMDatabase").  However, I like to listen to my favorite songs and not worry too much about matching the bpm to my pace.

BTW, if you want a handy way to carry your iPod, check out the "therunningbuddy" website for their magnetic pouches you attach to your waistband.  I also use their earbud, which provides stereo sound in one ear, leaving the other ear open to hear sounds around you.

Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

@MESPal wrote:

I'm going to start training for my first 5K and I know this sounds silly, but do people use iPods?
I used to power walk and due to health reasons I gained about 50 lbs. I want/need to do this for myself to prove to myself that I can. I miss exercising and it will be a struggle at first, but I'm so excited! I'm just so out of the loop as to what kind of device runners use these days.
Thanks!!

@MESPal

First I want to say, good for you for wanting a challenge and setting a goal to go for a 5k run. For most wanting to lose weight and improve their Physical Fitness at the same time, setting a goal, in my opinion, is the best way to accomplish your goals.

While I ran many hundreds of 5k and 10k races, I never carried any kind of device with me. Back in the era I ran most of my races there were not many choices. A cassette player was pretty much it.

I did 95% of my training on the treadmill in my home. I made my own Hi-Fi VHS tapes of  hundreds of only my favorite songs done only by my favorite artists. I had over 50 tapes that had 2 hours on only my favorite music, and in many different genre's of all types of music.

I played the type of music that fit my type of training for that day. Long/Slow runs? Slower type music. Fast Interval runs? Very upbeat music. Loved my music, but never wanted to be cumbered with it in my outside training runs.

I made sure to run outside at least once a week. Running on a treadmill does not have the same impact on the joints as your feet hitting the pavement. That way I made sure my body was still acclimated to running outdoors, and preventing possible joint injuries.

Remember to never overdue your training or you will probably pay the price? You should never be exhausted after a training run. Tired? Yes, but never exhausted, as that can lead to many unnecessary issues.

I wish you the best in your journey to this goal. Make sure you have allowed yourself enough time to train for a specific 5k run. Not days, maybe not even weeks. Just make sure you you are physically and mentally ready for this challenge that is new to you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

you should be able to do the same thing on your iPod if you can run the updated IOs, or close to it.

Honored Contributor

I know this isn't exactly answering your question but.....my sister started to run about 2 years ago.  Her ultimate goal was to run a full marathon.  She began training using the app Couch to 5K.  I'm not sure how long it took before she ran her first 5k. She ran several of them and a 10k and half marathon before she did a marathon.

She completed the marathon and while she still runs, she doesn't run more than a 10k. She said she has absolutely no desire to run another marathon. 

Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I know this isn't exactly answering your question but.....my sister started to run about 2 years ago.  Her ultimate goal was to run a full marathon.  She began training using the app Couch to 5K.  I'm not sure how long it took before she ran her first 5k. She ran several of them and a 10k and half marathon before she did a marathon.

She completed the marathon and while she still runs, she doesn't run more than a 10k. She said she has absolutely no desire to run another marathon. 

Good luck to you!

@Lipstickdiva,

Like your sister, I decided to run a full marathon. I wasn't happy with how I performed, so decided to run another one the next year in our city's annual Marathon. Did much better and felt fulfilled. 

I returned to running: 1 mile/2mile/5k and 10k races. Worked more on speed and lowering my times in all those shorter runs. Nothing helps a runner to run faster, than running faster for shorter distances. That translates into better times in the longer runs also. Ran my fastest races after age 55-60.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Keep it up ! When I ran my first 5k at age 34, I think I finished fourth to last! But I was determined, the effort felt so good, and I could feel myself becoming healthier run after run. When I was 40, I ran Twin Cities Marathon and qualified for Boston. Grab onto those goals that are out there!

I ran with a cassette player in the day. Not so sure I would today, I have tinnitus. Nature can provide its own beautiful sounds.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop