Honored Contributor

Re: At wits end with heel spur pain!

On 6/23/2014 Capri said: Anyone here have spurs removed from back of heel. I think they have to cut the Achilles' tendon and both Drs. said very long recovery time. I have an 11 month granddaughter I take care of when needed. Don't want to be off my feet for months at a time.

All heel spurs are not the same. Some surface as Plantar Fasciitis which is completely different issue involving the Plantar Fascia. And again all heel spurs do not involve the Achilles Tendon and Achilles Tendonitis thus do not require a partial detachment to eliminate the heel spur.

Were this my problem I would see a Sports Medicine Certified Podiatrist and maybe even one of my Orthopedic Surgeon friends. The Orthopedist generally does not work on anything below the ankle, but some of them do, my friend being one of them.

This requires the diagnosis of a doctor that is familiar with all types of heel spurs/Achilles Tendonitis and possibly Plantar Faciitis. One may be hard to find but they are out there in most areas of the country.

I've know several hockey players that have completely severed their Achilles Tendon and of course required extensive surgery. I will be the first one to tell you that it took them months and months to be able to do things normally, and even 1-2 years to completely recover from the surgery. These men did not quit playing hockey, but they did take of a full season or more to recover, and I am talking about a complete separation of the Achilles Tendon.

I have had Achilles Tendonitis more times than I care to remember from my many miles of running and other other sports training. It never stopped me from running or to miss any days of work, and I have always had jobs in a factory that required me to be on my feet for the full 8 hours. Some with more walking that others, but none of them were a job sitting down.

Used to put in heel lifts and bring ice bags in my Igloo Cooler and I would ice down my foot/feet during my lunch break and also after I got off the clock before I drove home. Plantar Faciitis was also a visitor many times and twice it involved both of my feet. Again I did not quit running/being a Ref in hockey, or miss any days of work. Did it hurt? Of course it did, but my diagnosis did not require any type of surgery.

I was able to function as normal, albeit in some discomfort, but I did not want to interfere with my normal life unless it was my only option and for me it was possible for me to do, with a lot of extra work including icing many times a day/taking anti-inflammatory meds/heel lifts in shoes and some specific stretching exercises done very carefully to help in my recovery.

Good luck to you.

hckynut(john)