Frequent Contributor

At wits end with heel spur pain!

Been bothering me for years and wear a night splint and Flector ( anti inflammatory) patch and still can't sit in recliner or sleep without pain. My foot dr said the surgery would be a very long recovery and my primary care Dr said he wouldn't recommend having the surgery. Anyone else suffer with this painful condition and how do you cope? I only can take Tramadol for pain an it does nothing. Help!
Honored Contributor

Re: At wits end with heel spur pain!

Have you seen pictures of this heel spur?

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

Yes, it looks like a bent nail about 1/4 to 1/2 inch sticking out the back of my heel and it is irritating or tearing my Achilles' tendon.
Trusted Contributor

I wear birkenstocks first thing in the morning before I take a first step, til the last step at night, they are great, I was miserable with heel spurs pain til I tried them.

Good luck to you. I like the regular foot beds, not the soft ones. My niece also has them.

Contributor

I had heel spurs until I started wearing Clarks shoes then they disappeared and have not had one since. Like everyone says, no medical evidence, but this worked for me. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

I developed Achilles Heel tendonitis in February. The night splint and stretches have helped a lot and I have to be careful to always wear shoes with a heel lift. The XRay did show a bone spur. It was very painful for about a month but got much better with the splint and using ice. My podiatrist said it was OK to use Ibuprofen but to be careful that it wasn't masking the pain so that I would reinjure myself.

I hope you get relief soon.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

Do heel spurs look like bumps on the back of your heel?

nevemind....just looked it up on WebMD.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you had a cortisone shot? That helps sometimes.

Have you seen a Podiatrist about it or just your regular Doctor? You need a Podiatrist. There is a very simple, quick recovery surgery for some types of heel spurs.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Get a second opinion from a younger foot doctor--not one recommended by your current foot doctor. You shouldn't have to live like this!!!! Life's too short. Take care and good luck! Make this your highest priority project!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

My husband had a heel spur that would flare up and was very painful. His doctor would give him cortisone shots and recommended surgery.

A friend convinced him to try acupuncture. When he walked into the actupuncturist's office, the doctor said "You need shoe inserts, the pain is caused by the way you're standing."

Custom inserts were ordered through the actupuncturist office, and he never had pain again.