Honored Contributor

At what weight do you feel you look your best and most healthy?

I recently lost over 15 pounds... the pounds had just crept up over the last seven years to where I hated getting dressed and half of my closet no longer fit.

Fifteen pounds I guess is not a lot, but for me it was going from a size 8 to a size 6/4.  I  now weigh in at 131 at 5 foot 8 inches tall. I had a pair of "goal" jeans that I thought I would never be wearing again... a size 4... and yesterday I GOT THEM ON AND THEY LOOKED GOOD!Woman Very Happy

I like the way I look at about 130 pounds for my height.  Any less... I start to look too thin (is that possible? LOL!)  I got down to 120 pounds during the time I had all my joint replacements  done and I did not like looking so thin... my upper body looked too bony and it was not attractive.  It was not normal for me to weigh so little at 120.....  The extra 10 pound to 130 pounds seems to look good on my frame.

Honored Contributor

Re: At what weight do you feel you look your best and most healthy?

[ Edited ]

I'm 5-2 and at my heaviest I weighed 145. I was not comfortable nor did I think I looked very good with at that weight. I had gained 30 pounds of that after retiring and quitting smoking plus I wasn't very active for a few years after that. I started having BP, cholesterol and blood sugar problems so I lost the weight. I'm right where I want to be now, my blood tests are all normal and my weight is 117. I wear a size 2/4 and I'm happy with that. I feel very healthy and I think I look good at my weight now.

ETA-  My BP is normal now also. I'm not on any meds and I lost the weight by changing what I eat and exercise.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden    Congratulations.   It sounds like you're at a happy weight.  You're pretty tall.

I'm 125 pounds 5.4 and have stayed at that weight for more than 10 years.   I had gained weight and was up to 140.  Not very happy at that weight.   I agree you can lose too much weight and it does not look good either.  

Respected Contributor

10 years ago I weighed 118 lbs. at 5'8''. Due to having to have surgery I had to quit smoking and since that time I've gained 40 lbs. I felt and looked better 10 years ago, but the weight doesn't seem to go away no matter how many salads and apples I eat. BTW, @SeaMaiden , how are you feeling?

Regular Contributor

Like the way I look at 160 pounds.  For many years I was 130 pounds, which is what the charts say I should weigh at 66 inches tall.  The weight crept up over the years after I had a bad concussion and breast cancer--at one point I was 210 pounds.  

I can live with being slightly overweight as it gives me a lovely womanly shape--at 130 pounds I was very small-chested which doesn't look good on a woman who is pear-shaped.

Interesting topic, Seannie

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm 5-2 and at my heaviest I weighed 145. I was not comfortable nor did I think I looked very good with at that weight. I had gained 30 pounds of that after retiring and quitting smoking plus I wasn't very active for a few years after that. I started having BP, cholesterol and blood sugar problems so I lost the weight. I'm right where I want to be now, my blood tests are all normal and my weight is 117. I wear a size 2/4 and I'm happy with that. I feel very healthy and I think I look good at my weight now.

ETA-  My BP is normal now also. I'm not on any meds and I lost the weight by changing what I eat and exercise.

@SilleeMee  👏👏👏👏 that is wonderful! And your blood pressure down too. I have had BP issues since I was in my 20's...I do try to manage it naturally....but losing weight only helps to a point.  I take all kinds of natural supplements. 

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

10 years ago I weighed 118 lbs. at 5'8''. Due to having to have surgery I had to quit smoking and since that time I've gained 40 lbs. I felt and looked better 10 years ago, but the weight doesn't seem to go away no matter how many salads and apples I eat. BTW, @SeaMaiden , how are you feeling?

@catter70  Wow 118 is pretty slim at our height. You might have a slimmer build than I.  

Good for you quitting smoking👏👏👏👏👏.  that saved your life and the xtra pounds you can and will lose when you Are ready.  I lost the 15 pounds in 5 pound increments...seemed less daunting than looking at he whole thing....you might try that...and DO NOT set a time frame for losing the 5 pounds....just do it pound by pound and congratulate yourself! 

I quit smoking about  30 plus years ago and gained 20 pounds  at that time. eating red licorice sticks.... by the pound😄 still, it was worth it to gain that weight back then and no longer smoke. 

As to how I feel  today after losing 15 pounds....I feel AMAZING❤️. It makes me happy not to see my fat belly I had...all the 15 pounds went to my belly and butt.  Now I need to. Stay vigilant and continue with "the work" to keep it off for good.🙂

Honored Contributor

Why thank you @SeaMaiden ...and 'good job' to you for your success!

Did you, at any point, have to buy new clothes? For me my weight gain was almost enough to have to buy new clothes but I refused to do that even though I looked bad in some of my tight-fitting outfits. The thought of having to buy new and larger sized clothes was enough of a motivational factor for me to lose the weight. That and having the bad medical numbers which came with my weight gain. Between the two I was determined to get my weight down. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Why thank you @SeaMaiden ...and 'good job' to you for your success!

Did you, at any point, have to buy new clothes? For me my weight gain was almost enough to have to buy new clothes but I refused to do that even though I looked bad in some of my tight-fitting outfits. The thought of having to buy new and larger sized clothes was enough of a motivational factor for me to lose the weight. That and having the bad medical numbers which came with my weight gain. Between the two I was determined to get my weight down. 

@SilleeMee   Most of my closet was size 6....and that in itself was motivation to stop the weight gain and DO SOMETHING.  So no, I have like a "new closet"  of clothes I have not been wearing because they were a size too small. I did have a few  pairs of larger jeans when I gained the extra pounds...I. Guess I am guilty  of saving clothes just in case I do gain or loose...  

Honored Contributor

105-110 but I'm only 5'4.