Honored Contributor
On 1/17/2015 betteb said:

Noel, I'm sorry you are feeling bad.

Do you have a rescue inhaler? Since you know your lungs are clear, you might try a couple of puffs next time you start coughing.

I don't tolerate inhaled steroids for asthma control very well, so I only use albuterol when I start having a flare.

bette! Smile

I do have the Albuterol and DD is after me to use it more often.

I do hope you're OK. There are just too many of us with asthma, my daughter, also.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

My asthma tends to get worse when I get a cold. Colds tend to go straight to my chest when I get sick.

I usually end up with a bronchial cough when I get sick, and I can feel it in my airways, too, as they tend to get tender and hurt when I cough. I get one of those "barking-like" coughs.

I usually end up with bronchitis. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I am usually sick for several weeks or months at a time. When I get sick, I tend to get quite sick.

I have one of those plastic asthma peak flow meters.

I got it for free one year from one of our health plans. It is good to check your asthma peak flow when you are well, so you know what is normal for you. Then you check it while you are sick. If your peak flow changes and starts to go down, then you know that you need to have your asthma medications adjusted when you are ill.

Honored Contributor
On 1/17/2015 northernlights said:

My asthma tends to get worse when I get a cold. Colds tend to go straight to my chest when I get sick.

I usually end up with a bronchial cough when I get sick, and I can feel it in my airways, too, as they tend to get tender and hurt when I cough. I get one of those "barking-like" coughs.

I usually end up with bronchitis. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I am usually sick for several weeks or months at a time. When I get sick, I tend to get quite sick.

I have one of those plastic asthma peak flow meters.

I got it for free one year from one of our health plans. It is good to check your asthma peak flow when you are well, so you know what is normal for you. Then you check it while you are sick. If your peak flow changes and starts to go down, then you know that you need to have your asthma medications adjusted when you are ill.

Hi northernlights,

I'm sorry it's so bad for you. I agree, the flow meter is a great help. I used it this time and was only showing mild reduction so I thought it was OK.

Trusted Contributor

If you have asthma, you can pretty well count on colds, flus, and coughs being more troublesome for you and more likely to lead to complications like bronchitis and other breathing difficulties. Respiratory infections can trigger asthma symptoms or full-blown asthma attacks in some people. I'd suggest you talk with your doctor about the problems you've been having and get some inhalers and medications on hand to help keep your breathing as free as possible. My daughter has asthma and has a system and meds to self-administer breathing treatments at home. You need to be watchful and not hesitate to go to the ER if your breathing becomes very constricted, you develop fever, high heart rate, etc. Asthma and respiratory infections aren't a good combo.

Honored Contributor
On 1/17/2015 GoodStuff said:

If you have asthma, you can pretty well count on colds, flus, and coughs being more troublesome for you and more likely to lead to complications like bronchitis and other breathing difficulties. Respiratory infections can trigger asthma symptoms or full-blown asthma attacks in some people. I'd suggest you talk with your doctor about the problems you've been having and get some inhalers and medications on hand to help keep your breathing as free as possible. My daughter has asthma and has a system and meds to self-administer breathing treatments at home. You need to be watchful and not hesitate to go to the ER if your breathing becomes very constricted, you develop fever, high heart rate, etc. Asthma and respiratory infections aren't a good combo.

Hi GoodStuff,

I was diagnosed with asthma years ago (probably 15 - 20) and have been on inhalers ever since. But I never had these problems before, it was controllable.

Unfortunately, any cold (and anything else) is a real issue for me anyway, I have SLE, lupus. Asthma is commonly part of the lupus profile, since they're about inflammation/inflammatory flare.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to change my lackadaisical ways with asthma and go in for a treatment anytime I have a cold + cough from now on.

Respected Contributor

Noel, I think I got the same cold and asthma you did, around Jan. 3rd. I was also concerned that with my symptoms it might be bronchitis, pneumonia or asthma. Still have the cough, though much better, some head congestion, and the remnants of the wheeze. Hadn't had any asthma symptoms in yrs. and it was so scary I went to the Doc. Got an Albuterol inhaler like you did and was told to take several OTC things. I think the inhaler made my lungs feel like they were on fire so I stopped it. Tried again the other day. Not convinced it helps, but then again I never mastered the technique and most doesn't get to my lungs. At least you got an X-ray. The cold air here definitely makes it worse, it's barely above the teens and plummeting now.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/17/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 1/17/2015 betteb said:

Noel, I'm sorry you are feeling bad.

Do you have a rescue inhaler? Since you know your lungs are clear, you might try a couple of puffs next time you start coughing.

I don't tolerate inhaled steroids for asthma control very well, so I only use albuterol when I start having a flare.

bette! Smile

I do have the Albuterol and DD is after me to use it more often.

I do hope you're OK. There are just too many of us with asthma, my daughter, also.

Thanks for your kind wishes. I'm not having too much trouble right now, but I always have my inhaler on me. If it gets too bad, I have a nebulizer and supplies.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor
On 1/17/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 1/17/2015 GoodStuff said:

Hi GoodStuff,

I was diagnosed with asthma years ago (probably 15 - 20) and have been on inhalers ever since. But I never had these problems before, it was controllable.

Unfortunately, any cold (and anything else) is a real issue for me anyway, I have SLE, lupus. Asthma is commonly part of the lupus profile, since they're about inflammation/inflammatory flare.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to change my lackadaisical ways with asthma and go in for a treatment anytime I have a cold + cough from now on.

I'm sorry you're having these problems and think it's a great idea to discuss this with your doctor. My daughter has a pocket inhaler for daily use, but when she is ill and has breathing problems associated with a cold, she has a home nebulizer and meds so she can give herself home breathing treatments similar to what she'd get in a doctor's office. If that doesn't help she has to go to the ER, but often the nebulizer makes that unnecessary.

Trusted Contributor

I hope that you feel better real soon, Noel. Smile

It's unfortunate that we are all affected like this when we get sick.

I have had coughs linger for quite some time after I have been ill, but eventually they do go away after awhile.

Contributor

Oh geez I know exactly what you mean and how you feel. I have allergies and asthma. After so many years of dealing with the confusion, I gave up and would call my allergist right away and he would get me a script for the asthma and if necessary med for the flu/cold. I have learned to head off the horrible cough, choking, wheezing and lack of sleep. Hope you find a way to manage. It is awful.