Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Asking a question...elder care attorney vs financial planner?

[ Edited ]

@LTT1  Check with your attorney (or any attorney) for a competent answer for your State. Some of these responses are in left field and others are simple things handled by any attorney. Most initial visits for information are nominal or without charge.  

Few financial planners have law degrees. Don't confuse their responsiblities or importance to you. Both are very necessary, but should work together in your behalf. I've never used a financial planner and have no idea what their education entails.

My brokerage firm requires Masters Degrees, a working knowledge of 10 years prior experience, as well as continued education and regular courses sponsored by the corporation. I used the same broker for 42 years. In that time, he began mentoring my current broker about 15 years ago. The overlap helped make the transition seamless when my original broker retired a few years ago. Low turn-over says a lot about their performance as individuals and a company.  Best wishes. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Asking a question...elder care attorney vs financial planner?

[ Edited ]

@LTT1

I highly recommend getting a good elder-care attorney.  My mom and dad did it years ago.  They did not have a lot of assets, but when they were hospitalized and subsequently dying, everyone we dealt with was impressed with how smoothly things went. They had all the necessary paperwork, including living wills.  It was a great blessing to us at a very stressful time.

~ house cat ~