Honored Contributor

Re: As you get older are you finding that...

[ Edited ]

@PreKteacher wrote:

I'm afraid I've inherited the family "fussy tummy". I'm still in my 40's but I haven't been able to drink milk for years, and I can't eat raw spinache, kale, or arugula without serious acid indigestion. 

Also (and this is random) I haven't been able to eat candy corn since I was a child! For some reason I feel totally awful if I eat even a few. 

@PreKteacher I found your problem with candy corn interesting.

Do you also have a problem after eating pancakes or French toast with a lot of syrup? (Maybe, when you were younger, you used less syrup for that reason.

Both the candy corn and syrup are almost pure sugar.

If you do, what is making you feel bad is likely an insulin surge.

Respected Contributor

Citrus. I used to eat lemons with salt on them as a kid and love lemonade. Nowadays anything with citrus in it gives me heartburn. 

Honored Contributor

I remember my mother getting so upset with my stepfather in late years.  He was constantly saying -- this doesn't taste good, that doesn't taste good --- I can't eat this!  And my mother was a wonderful cook!  It was not her cooking but he made her feel like it was!  I hear lots of people saying now that as they have aged that many things just don't seem to taste right or good any more.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I remember when I was a kid older people would say "I like it but it doesn't like me." I would wonder what they meant.  NOW I know.   

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I was getting horrible cramps after eating chicken, any form of chicken.  Then I happened to read a generic GasX bottle sitting on the shelf gathering dust.  It said green vegetables can cause intense cramps, meaning you are getting gas.  Duh.  I thought it was the chicken because I eat chicken so often.  Now I just take the anti-gas pill, they claim its not even a drug, but it works.

Super Contributor

@ECBG the candy corn cause me to feel light headed and slightly naseuas. It could be the sugar in part, because I also don't like to eat anything sweet unless I accompany it with protein. For instance, if I ate pancakes with syrup, I would want to have eggs or meat along with it. But it's also possible that it's a combination of the sugar and the dyes. I don't really know for sure. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I was little, I could not tolerate milk, whipped cream, etc.  I can drink milk - though I don't like it - now and do enjoy a little whipped cream.  Also anything "rich" like pork; but, I've never been a real meat eater and don't really care that much for poultry either  .Exceptions:   genoa salami, pepperonni and kind).

Give me squash, potatoes, pasta and I'm in my glory.  However, I can't eat too much fruit - I break out in a weird rash that looks like a weird beardWoman Embarassed.

I wonder what warrants what our bodies can/can't accept.  Is it blood type? nationality?  If anybody knows, please tell!

Honored Contributor

I have not been able to eat raw tomatoes or most citrus for years. The acid just burns like fire. Cooked tomatoes are fine, and a bit of citrus in a fruit salad is okay....learn your limits! I have found Tums Smoothies to be my best friend though.
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

When I was little, I could not tolerate milk, whipped cream, etc.  I can drink milk - though I don't like it - now and do enjoy a little whipped cream.  Also anything "rich" like pork; but, I've never been a real meat eater and don't really care that much for poultry either  .Exceptions:   genoa salami, pepperonni and kind).

Give me squash, potatoes, pasta and I'm in my glory.  However, I can't eat too much fruit - I break out in a weird rash that looks like a weird beardWoman Embarassed.

I wonder what warrants what our bodies can/can't accept.  Is it blood type? nationality?  If anybody knows, please tell!

@eddyandme 

It is mostly species - human. All plants contain toxins to protect themselves. They can’t run or fight to protect themselves the way animals can so they need the toxins to survive. They really don’t want to be eaten!

How much of a reaction we have to the toxins in plant foods we eat varies from one person to the next. Many people don’t have noticeable side effects but many do and don’t realize it. Tolerance levels vary. It probably runs in families; do your close family members have similar symptoms? 

Maybe it is specific fruits or vegetables that are a problem for you rather than all of them. But large amounts could also be a factor. An elimination diet could help you determine which ones are fine for you to eat and which ones are not.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx @willdob3 !

My mother's side loved fruits and vegetables.  My dad was a meat and potatoes man.

I'm the only one who gets a "beard" from eating too much fruit.  I found out I'm allergic!