Respected Contributor

As you get older are you finding that...

certain foods that you once loved are no longer agreeing with you?  I've always loved corn on the cob and never had a problem with it. Over the summer we had it a few times and the following day I just didn't feel well.   Yesterday I served it and today my stomach feels upset.  

I've finally come to the conclusion that I have to eliminate it from my diet.  I guess my system just cannot digest it very well.

I remember my Dad mentioning that as he got older he could no longer eat cucumbers or radishes.  

I have no problems with any other foods.   I eat lots of different fruits and vegetables and I have no ill effects from any of them.

I guess if corn on the cob is my only food issue I should consider myself 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: As you get older are you finding that...

@J Town Girl  I have notice a change, to an extent - especially with tomatoes. But, I weigh the pain against the enjoyment. My distress would have to be pretty bad to make me give up corn on the cob. If my doctor told me I had to give it up, I might decide to change doctors. Hahaha! Seriously, it would be a difficult decision. So far, I have not had to give anything up. Thank goodness!

Honored Contributor

For me, it was/is blueberries in any form (fresh, frozen, jam, jelly, juice).

I'm not so sure it's age-related.  I was 47 when I moved back to NY - that's when it started.  We used to pick wild blueberries when I lived in CA ....never had a problem.   

Respected Contributor

Cinnamon as a featured flavor, especially in baked goods. It started after I gorged on Pecan Twirls, which I love. Loved. Real agita, so no more of them. Then cinnamon buns, sticky buns, you name it, anything with a lot of cinnamon. Not that I should be eating any of that anyway, but it's a change.

I have relatives who get burpy from iceberg lettuce. I guess we're all different.

Super Contributor

Pepper!  I just don't like it on anything anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not yet, but it is common for people to say they can no longer eat something. My neighbor says fresh corn and ice cream are no longer a part of her diet and they used to be favorites.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not surprising to hear some of your issues with specific foods. I was on an anti-inflammatory diet for several months to identify food triggers because I hadn't been feeling well.  I can tell you that corn, tomatoes (and all "nightshades"), and pepper are common inflammatory foods. These foods affect gut health and poor gut health affects the immune system, which can cause many problems including illness and disease. Given that our immune systems don't function as optimally when we get older, eliminating some inflammatory foods might be something to consider. Gluten, dairy, sugar are also inflammatory.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

For me a lot has changed in my gut since I was diagnosed with scleroderma. It's not consistent either. One day it will be a banana and the next might be a piece of chicken. I never use to get heartburn or reflux and now I do. My esophagus has become restricted with less elasticity so food can get stuck going down and that is painful. Then on the other end, strange things happen down there, too. I can't eat a lot the foods which I enjoyed eating before. My diet so bland now but for good reasons.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a big problem with nuts and a smaller problem with corn and sometimes tomatoes.  I absolutely love fresh corn and do eat it a few times in the summer.  I love tomatoes too.  I don't eat a lot and don't have much of a problem.  I can only eat a few nuts without having a problem.

I haven't been to a gastroenterologist about this in a while, but I did go many years ago because I couldn't figure out why I was having so much pain.  He diagnosed me with diverticulitis.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

It does seem we have more difficulties with food as we age, but I suffer from food allergies and those also change over time.  I used to love Chardonnay wine and drank it regularly, then stopped drinking for several years as part of a then successful effort to lose weight.  When I drank Chardonnay again, I had a terrible reaction the next day, my tongue so swollen I could not speak properly.  I was in my early forties then.  I am afraid to drink any white wine.  Have had other lesser but clearly allergic reactions.  It stinks!