Honored Contributor

Re: As This Goes on: What are your go-to meals?

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Mindy D 

I use canned salmon from the supermarket .... whatever happens to be on the supermarket shelf - or what's on sale.  Yesterday, I used Bumble Bee brand.   

I just the other day, subscribed to StarKist brand through Amazon subscriptions.  A case of 12 cans is $20.41 - rather a good savings over store prices.  I eat a lot of canned salmon.  

There are several recipes I use.  Like just about everything else - it depends on my mood and what "flavor" I feel like eating - and what I'm going to be eating along with it.  

One really good one is a Weight Watchers recipe that I've used on and off for about 20 years.  You can google it "Weight Watchers Salmon burgers with Peach Salsa."  I've served this to guests for lunch and they loved it. 

(I cheat on the peach salsa recipe.  I buy mango salsa and when peaches are in season, I add a bunch of chopped peaches to the jar.  Works for me!)

Yesterday, I used a recipe from The Food Channel - it had red pepper flakes, curry powder seasoning along with the usual chopped onions, eggs, breadcrumbs, etc., etc., 

I have a stack of recipes -  just google "canned salmon recipes" and print out anything that looks "tasty."   Allrecipes dot come is another good source of recipes.  

---------------------------------------------

@Mindy D wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I just keep making my favorites - alternating from week to week.  These are some of my standards.   Allrecipes dot com is my go-to place for recipes.

• curried vegetables - sometimes I add meat
  • keilbasa & brussels sprouts / or cabbage / or sour kraut
  • store roasted chicken (left over chicken goes into chicken salad made with store mix salad)
  • salmon burgers (just made a batch today .... for today with cold slaw , tomorrow with "hot" potato salad.
  • grilled cheese and cold slaw
  • Chili   
  • Various pasta dishes           
  • macaroni & cheese (add a bunch of stuff to it)
  • Potato pancakes, apple sauce and eggs
  • Curied eggs
  • hot dogs and beans and sour kraut   
  • Italian sausage & pepper hero                  

@ALRATIBA @How do you make your salmon burgers and what exact salmon do you use? 

@ALRATIBA @You are a gem for going out of your way to post this. I've been thinking of salmon cakes lately. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Sounds like a lot of us are pretty much on the same page, but it is nice to know that we are having "real" meals often and getting our veggies and fruits

We have bought a lot of oranges, grapefruits and grapes, berries and been getting good apples even at this time of the year.

We also make yogurt.  I am absolutely hooked on home made yogurt!  I've found that if you add Fairlife milk and I add a tablespoon or so of powdered milk too--and you don't have to bring it up to 180 degrees first.  You just warm it up to about 114 degrees or so and it is SO much easier!  

We also do a lot of grain bowls too!  And we bought some salmon burger from a company in Alaska.  It was an expensive splurge but they are so good--it is just pieces of salmon.  So I am thinking if you buy salmon and save uncooked pieces when you have some pieces that weigh more than you need, freeze the pieces and make burgers!  

Hi @Sooner. The 180°F is to kill harmful pathogens which can proliferate in the milk while your warming it to culture the yogurt. This is a safe food practice. I hope you don't mind me saying this to you. I've made yogurt many times. 🌞

@Mindy D  Actually today's milks purchased in stores are very safe, so the real reason is make a thicker yogurt by denaturing the proteins at that heat.

So the real reason is to make yogurt that is thicker. And if you use ultra pasteurized or ultra filtered milk such as Fairlife, it turns out excellent if you just heat it up to 110 or so than put it in the yogurt maker with your starter. I have done this many times and the yogurt is excellent!

I always like to use a freshly opened carton. But it is a lot less work and mess to not have to take it to 180.

Honored Contributor

Taco bowls.  Seasoned ground beef, grated cheddar, cherry tomatoes, black olives, avocado, sour cream, salsa.  Side of Fritos for husband.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Taco bowls.  Seasoned ground beef, grated cheddar, cherry tomatoes, black olives, avocado, sour cream, salsa.  Side of Fritos for husband.

Yum! This sounds so good.

Honored Contributor

I've been cooking the same as I always have.  We haven't been ordering takeout food anymore than we did before all this started.

Now that it is nicer outside, I am cooking more on the grill.  

I try to avoid things like burgers, sausages and hotdogs on the grill because those are camping staples. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Definitely check out Pintrest.  A young coworker talked me into this a few years ago and there are so many ideas.  You can build your own 'board' and I have one with Recipes and subtitles "main dishes, breakfast, salads and miscellaneous.  

When I get 'stuck' on something new to make, I go to my Pintrest to remind myself of options.  It's just me/hubby so I don't want a lot of leftovers or too many pasta dishes.  

We're newly retired so we're still trying to figure out what works without eating too much!  

Honored Contributor

@Snooky60 wrote:

@4kitties - I'm hearing that snacking has become a problem for many of us!!  Yes back to veggies, fruit and lean meat.  Chips and chocolate have to go!!! 🙂

I do love the sweets and the savory snack-type stuff.  But I really keep portions to a certain point, per day, so I don't over-indulge.  Sometimes that's not as easy as I would want it to be.  Smiley Wink

One of the things lately that has made me happy is carrots!   I have been purchasing a bag of carrots and one of the times I want something but don't want to eat garbage food, I will pull out one of those carrots, scrub it down a bit, cut off the tip & bottom part, and off I go.   It's a wonderful snack, not unhealthy, and takes a while to eat so it's satisfying.  Smiley Happy  Crunchy and sweet.  Can't beat that.  

I need a bit of variety because I seem to get bored easily but lately I've been buying some Lean Cuisines for some of my meals.  Some of them really are nice.  I had one yesterday that was not so great, though.  It was completely devoid of flavor.  It was the Spinach Artichoke Linguini.  I'm surprised, as I really like some of the ones with the parm sauce but this one truly had no flavor.

I also have plenty of brown rice on hand and sometimes I'll cook up 1.5 to 2c of that and have food for several days.

I have a huge supply of Chicken Fried Chicken, purchased here on AD, and really love those.  They are fully cooked so you just thaw, then brown one and, for me, one of those is a whole meal.   Great flavor. Don't even add a grain of salt.  

I've also craved pizza more than usual and I don't know why, as my life at home is the same as it's been for years.  I like to get a DiGiornos Rising Crust 3-Meats and I add a little more grated mozzarella and some thinly sliced pepperoni that I also keep on hand.   One of those feeds me for three or four days and it's pretty darn good.