Honored Contributor

Re: As This Goes on: What are your go-to meals?

@hckynut So do you fix your own meals?  Do you grocery shop and have a set meal every day or vary it much?

I know you've told us before and I can't remember!

And I admire your courage and I lean toward more variety in my diet as does your wife!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

We are eating as usual:   roast turkey, baked chicken, chicken fajitas, tacos, burritos, meatloaf, cube steak, pulled pork, pot roast, ravioli with homemade sauce, spaghetti, chicken and dumplings, pork chops, baked beans, pinto, great northern and October beans with cornbread, macaroni and cheese, homemade pot pies, homemade pizza, an occasional hamburger or grilled chicken sandwich.   

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I just keep making my favorites - alternating from week to week.  These are some of my standards.   Allrecipes dot com is my go-to place for recipes.

• curried vegetables - sometimes I add meat
  • keilbasa & brussels sprouts / or cabbage / or sour kraut
  • store roasted chicken (left over chicken goes into chicken salad made with store mix salad)
  • salmon burgers (just made a batch today .... for today with cold slaw , tomorrow with "hot" potato salad.
  • grilled cheese and cold slaw
  • Chili   
  • Various pasta dishes           
  • macaroni & cheese (add a bunch of stuff to it)
  • Potato pancakes, apple sauce and eggs
  • Curied eggs
  • hot dogs and beans and sour kraut   
  • Italian sausage & pepper hero                  

@ALRATIBA @How do you make your salmon burgers and what exact salmon do you use? 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Sooner 

We have been doing a lot of soups.  I got an Instant Pot earlier this year, so I have been making my own broth, cooking dry beans, making rice, etc.  

We have tortilla soup, lentil soup, chicken soup, veggie soup, corn chowder, broccoli/potato, white bean & bacon, a minestrone/pasta ******ioli type with a tomato based broth and lots of fresh veggies. Sometimes we have enchiladas or veggie lasagna with gluten free tortillas.  Our local produce stand opened up, so it's pretty easy to go there, or they will deliver.  We do a lot of roasting of veggies- potatotes, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, etc.

Sometimes we have risotto, but we usually add rice to things and make stir fries.  Usually once a week or so we order take out, to support our local restaurants. 

I need an Instapot. I love beans and the idea of speedy beans sounds like such a work saver.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a lot of us are pretty much on the same page, but it is nice to know that we are having "real" meals often and getting our veggies and fruits

We have bought a lot of oranges, grapefruits and grapes, berries and been getting good apples even at this time of the year.

We also make yogurt.  I am absolutely hooked on home made yogurt!  I've found that if you add Fairlife milk and I add a tablespoon or so of powdered milk too--and you don't have to bring it up to 180 degrees first.  You just warm it up to about 114 degrees or so and it is SO much easier!  

We also do a lot of grain bowls too!  And we bought some salmon burger from a company in Alaska.  It was an expensive splurge but they are so good--it is just pieces of salmon.  So I am thinking if you buy salmon and save uncooked pieces when you have some pieces that weigh more than you need, freeze the pieces and make burgers!  

Valued Contributor

I have made sure that we have enough chicken and beef and then other items such as ravioli and pther pasta in the house along with sides (potatoes and rice,etc). I bake and therefore we have bread and a few treats--I usually do not eat my own goodies only because I bake things that others like. 

We do have some snacky food in the house but I  have never been a snacky person (chips or items of that form). I do eat a string cheese every now and again and I have to make sure that there is fruit in the house of some form.

We do have a frozen lasagna from Trader Joe's that we must always have one in waiting. It is our go to meal when do not have a clue as to what to have for dinner. 
We have carried out a few times too trying to help keep our favorite local places alive during this time.Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@4kitties - let's think of each other if temptation hits!! 👭

Valued Contributor

@Sooner Breakfast is a rotation of oatmeal and fruit, grits, eggs and sausage, veggie sausage and biscuits, or rarely waffles and bacon.  Lunch is tuna salad or peanut butter crackers with carrot and celery sticks.  To be better prepared, I've posted "What's for Dinner" on the frig.  That's something I had not done since the children were young.  Here is our dinner rotation:

Mon:  Taco salad and hummus with chips

Tues:  Beef & cabbage with rice

Wed:  Pasta, broccoli, garlic bread

Thurs:  Taco wrap

Fri:  Grilled salmon, green beans, parmesan squares

Sat:  Pizza and salad

Sun:  Stir fry with rice

We don't have a large freezer just the one with frig but since proteins are sometimes limited, I buy family packs and freeze part.  We are eating pretty well right now.  I admit when this started, I told the family not to worry we had beans and rice so we were not going to starve.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I use canned salmon from the supermarket .... whatever happens to be on the supermarket shelf - or what's on sale.  Yesterday, I used Bumble Bee brand.   

I just the other day, subscribed to StarKist brand through Amazon subscriptions.  A case of 12 cans is $20.41 - rather a good savings over store prices.  I eat a lot of canned salmon.  

There are several recipes I use.  Like just about everything else - it depends on my mood and what "flavor" I feel like eating - and what I'm going to be eating along with it.  

One really good one is a Weight Watchers recipe that I've used on and off for about 20 years.  You can google it "Weight Watchers Salmon burgers with Peach Salsa."  I've served this to guests for lunch and they loved it. 

(I cheat on the peach salsa recipe.  I buy mango salsa and when peaches are in season, I add a bunch of chopped peaches to the jar.  Works for me!)

Yesterday, I used a recipe from The Food Channel - it had red pepper flakes, curry powder seasoning along with the usual chopped onions, eggs, breadcrumbs, etc., etc., 

I have a stack of recipes -  just google "canned salmon recipes" and print out anything that looks "tasty."   Allrecipes dot come is another good source of recipes.  

---------------------------------------------

@Mindy D wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I just keep making my favorites - alternating from week to week.  These are some of my standards.   Allrecipes dot com is my go-to place for recipes.

• curried vegetables - sometimes I add meat
  • keilbasa & brussels sprouts / or cabbage / or sour kraut
  • store roasted chicken (left over chicken goes into chicken salad made with store mix salad)
  • salmon burgers (just made a batch today .... for today with cold slaw , tomorrow with "hot" potato salad.
  • grilled cheese and cold slaw
  • Chili   
  • Various pasta dishes           
  • macaroni & cheese (add a bunch of stuff to it)
  • Potato pancakes, apple sauce and eggs
  • Curied eggs
  • hot dogs and beans and sour kraut   
  • Italian sausage & pepper hero                  

@ALRATIBA @How do you make your salmon burgers and what exact salmon do you use? 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Sounds like a lot of us are pretty much on the same page, but it is nice to know that we are having "real" meals often and getting our veggies and fruits

We have bought a lot of oranges, grapefruits and grapes, berries and been getting good apples even at this time of the year.

We also make yogurt.  I am absolutely hooked on home made yogurt!  I've found that if you add Fairlife milk and I add a tablespoon or so of powdered milk too--and you don't have to bring it up to 180 degrees first.  You just warm it up to about 114 degrees or so and it is SO much easier!  

We also do a lot of grain bowls too!  And we bought some salmon burger from a company in Alaska.  It was an expensive splurge but they are so good--it is just pieces of salmon.  So I am thinking if you buy salmon and save uncooked pieces when you have some pieces that weigh more than you need, freeze the pieces and make burgers!  

Hi @Sooner. The 180°F is to kill harmful pathogens which can proliferate in the milk while your warming it to culture the yogurt. This is a safe food practice. I hope you don't mind me saying this to you. I've made yogurt many times. 🌞