Honored Contributor

Re: As This Goes on: What are your go-to meals?

My go to meals are always chili, goulash,  spaghetti and spanish rice.  They all start the same, ground beef, onions and green pepper.  The key for me is to have it cooked in advance, I hate meals where I'm still working just before dinner.  Not much has changed with covid, except the fact that ground meat is much more expensive.  Good fish is hard to find around here (especially now) and I won't cook raw chicken, only buy rotisserie or Costco Kirkland canned.  

Respected Contributor

I think we are doing pretty good.  Our main meals as below - breakfast eggs or cereal - lunch crackers cheese, salad, or whatever!

In fridge/freezer we try to keep turkey mince, lots veggies, steaks, pork chops, chicken, salmon, shrimp, salad. -    I do instacart once a week this week’s food as follows:

Hamburgers -  Spaghetti squash with meatballs, shrimp wraps, minestrone soup made with lots of fresh veggies, roast chicken, meatloaf, and Sunday steak or salmon

This seems to be our go to order weekly now depending if store has the items - changing up with lasagne, grilled salmon, grilled pork chops.

Our sides mostly salad, or cauliflower rice, carrots, sprouts baked potato.

stopped ordering ‘snacks’ as getting out of hand ordered fruit instead.  Sometimes meat/chicken not availableat our store  so use veggies for lasagne or soup.

Super Contributor

Spaghetti, pork chops, ribs, burgers, brats, chicken, pasta salads, tuna, ham, casseroles, and lettuce salads. Also home-made breads, apple crisp, cookies, and brownies. This was all in the last week or two. Tonight we are having scalloped potatoes and ham! My husband does about half the cooking so it isn't all done by me. We rarely eat out anymore and try to make every meal special. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't feel well so my cooking from scratch, something I used to love to do everyday, is down to practically zero. We're relying on a lot of frozen family sized meals from Amy's, Michael Angelos, Marie Callender's  and Stouffers. We are also eating  Hormel ready to cook entrees such as their Beef Tips and Publix's  Meatballs in Marinara and Meatloaf. We also eat Reeser's Signature Macaroni and Cheese and Reser's Signature Mashed Potatoes.We are also getting fresh, made in store, ready to bake, Publix Chicken Cordon Bleu. I was making smoothies with fresh fruit and veggies everyday but I haven't been in the past few weeks. I was also eating Dannon Yogurt but I've not been doing so lately. I do eat Boars Head Roasted Red Pepper Hummus by itself. We do eat baked potatoes. My husband does the shopping and unfortunatrly he's addicted to sweets and junk food. He also picks up peanut butter and bread and now I'm eating this junk too.  When he brings these foods home I wind up eating them. I should add that I have chewing problems so I wind up not being able to eat the salads I love and having to use my Vitamix a lot.  We also order take out. Our diet, in a word, is ATROCIOUS. 

Trusted Contributor

I had to stop the canned goods and packaged food.  With no exercise and not drinking enough, I was blowing up and feeling awful.  I have a freezer full of Kansas City steakburgers, beef hot dogs, and honey ham on auto-delivery.  They're all delicious.  I miss salads.  Since I can't get to the grocery all of the time, my go-to salad is peeled and sliced cucumbers with cherry tomatoes and spring onions.  I use Paul Newman's balsamic vinegarette dressing.  Today I made my chicken soup from a rotisserie chicken I bought a few days ago.  Breakfast is usually shredded wheat, various berries, and skim milk.  I'm feeling better already!  lol!  Now I just need to get outside more.

Honored Contributor

Hey there @Sooner ,

Basing my comment from your thread title. I started eating my present regimen of foods close to 3 years ago. It was based on a "trial and error" way to expedite and help me recover my full health and work my way back to the excellent category in my physical fitness.

It worked well for my working close to 18 months to reach my goals, and it has, and still is, keeping me healthy along with very physically fit.

In summary, aren't you glad? My food regimen hasn't changed one iota from when I started it. I am one that can eat the exact same things every single day and need no change. My wife? Just the opposite and I seldom see her eat the same thing her next meal or subsequent meals the same day. I'm a strange guy!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I just keep making my favorites - alternating from week to week.  These are some of my standards.   Allrecipes dot com is my go-to place for recipes.

• curried vegetables - sometimes I add meat
  • keilbasa & brussels sprouts / or cabbage / or sour kraut
  • store roasted chicken (left over chicken goes into chicken salad made with store mix salad)
  • salmon burgers (just made a batch today .... for today with cold slaw , tomorrow with "hot" potato salad.
  • grilled cheese and cold slaw
  • Chili   
  • Various pasta dishes           
  • macaroni & cheese (add a bunch of stuff to it)
  • Potato pancakes, apple sauce and eggs
  • Curied eggs
  • hot dogs and beans and sour kraut   
  • Italian sausage & pepper hero                  
Honored Contributor

Your food sounds good, although I don't care for sauerkraut or coleslaw. Just not a cabbage person.

Respected Contributor

My meals are the same as they've always been. If I didn't eat it before, I'm not going to start eating it now.

Breakfast is always plain, low fat Greek yogurt with unsweetend berries of some sort and black coffee.

Lunch is usually a salad of some kind with either chicken, turkey or shrimp. Or perhaps some soup if I've had time to make it. 

Dinner is a bit larger portion of chicken, turkey or shrimp. Or a nice grass fed filet every couple of weeks. A couple of veggies, sometimes a bit of potatoes. Sometimes I'll get crazy and make a stir fry or shrimp tacos. 

Snacks are things like berries, red/orange pepper chunks with hummus, nuts, a hard boiled egg. 

I really don't care much for pasta, rice, ground meat of any kind, casseroles, etc. Never have. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

We have been doing a lot of soups.  I got an Instant Pot earlier this year, so I have been making my own broth, cooking dry beans, making rice, etc.  

We have tortilla soup, lentil soup, chicken soup, veggie soup, corn chowder, broccoli/potato, white bean & bacon, a minestrone/pasta ******ioli type with a tomato based broth and lots of fresh veggies. Sometimes we have enchiladas or veggie lasagna with gluten free tortillas.  Our local produce stand opened up, so it's pretty easy to go there, or they will deliver.  We do a lot of roasting of veggies- potatotes, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, etc.

Sometimes we have risotto, but we usually add rice to things and make stir fries.  Usually once a week or so we order take out, to support our local restaurants.