Honored Contributor

Article on STATIN DRUGS AGING PEOPLE PREMATURELY.....

I've had a running problem with Statin Drugs going back many years.  My cholestorol is considered high normal.  Statin Drugs (I've tried FOUR of them) do a job on me, have caused muscle/strength loss, and the first one I was on (over a year before I caught on) actually caused such muscle ache and pain that I couldn't even get up the Motorhome stairs.  I felt 80 and couldn't go on the way I was... so after researching what I could, I weaned myself  off.  My doctor was very upset because my numbers went from 150 (with the drug) back to about 190 - 200 without it..... AND he didn't really believe the severity of what I was telling him.  When I started with my new doctor in our new town, she was also skeptical of what I was saying and wanted me to try one that was "water based" and was confident I wouldn't have any problems.  In three days, the old symptoms were back including the electric jumping pains through my lower extremities and my hands no longer had the grip to open a bottle of water.  It was THAT fast.  I weaned off and told her I did so.

I just read this article (from England) today regarding this and wanted to share.  Of course, if you are not having any side effects at all and feel great... please disregard....

Statins: Heart disease drug speeds up ageing process, warns new research STATINS make regular users become older faster, leaving them open to long-term mental and physical decline, according to disturbing new research.

PUBLISHED: 00:01, Sun, Sep 27, 2015

Fears are growing over the side effects of cholesterol-lowering pills

Scientists have found the heart disease drug badly affects our stem cells, the internal medical system which repairs damage to our bodies and protects us from muscle and joint pain as well as memory loss. 

Last night experts warned patients to “think very carefully” before taking statins as a preventative medicine. 

A GP expert in the field said: “They just make many patients feel years older. Side effects mimic the ageing process.” 

The new research by scientists at Tulane University in New Orleans has reignited the debate about statin side effects which many doctors say have been played down. 

They include memory loss, muscle pain, diabetes, cataracts, liver dysfunction, diabetes, fatigue and memory loss. 

Millions of Britons currently take statins to combat the risks of heart attacks

Professor Reza Izadpanah, a stem cell biologist and lead author of the research published in the American Journal of Physiology, said: “Our study shows statins may speed up the ageing process. 

“People who use statins as a preventative medicine for heath should think again as our research shows they may have general unwanted effects on the body which could include muscle pain, nerve problems and joint problems.” 

This research reinforces what has long been suspected. The side effects of statins mimic the ageing process

Dr Malcolm Kendrick, GP

The scientists who treated stem cells with statins under laboratory conditions found that after a few weeks the cholesterol-busting treatment had a dramatic effect. 

Statins prevented stem cells from performing their main functions, to reproduce and replicate other cells in the body to carry out repairs. 

The researchers found the statins prevented stem cells from generating new bone and cartilage. 

They also found they increased ageing. 

Professor Izadpanah said: “People at high risk of heart disease can reduce this risk by taking statins. However, considering the adverse effects of these drugs and their association with so many side effects, it is crucial people are fully aware of the risks before they take the treatment.” 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Article on STATIN DRUGS AGING PEOPLE PREMATURELY.....

Thanks for posting this .... my numbers are high 240 to 260 but I refuse to take Crestor which my doctor suggests .... too many aches & pains !!! 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting this info. 

I know MANY people - all over 60 - taking these drugs, seemingly without any problems.

I have decided that I will not take them (they haven't been hard-sell pushed at me yet) because I will not chance those side effects.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

1.  Who are the scientists?  Not the commenting "doctors" in the article, rather the research physicians.

2  When was the research conducted and in what institution?

3.  What patient population was used to come to the vague and generalized statements that were made?

4.  There's no "meat" whatsoever in the article posted that makes any sort of clinical sense.

Yes, the side effects of statins, for the most part, are understood.  However, this new proposal regarding stem cells requires attention to detail and there is none in this article.  I find the omission very questionable, unsettling and one that will very well cause many people to stop taking their statin, which may be quite inadvisable.

If anyone is out there taking a statin (cholesterol lowering drug) and has experienced muscle pain and/or weakness in any of your extremities and your phyician is NOT listening to you, YOU need to change physicians immediately and go this week to an urgent care center, where you can be advised, in the interim, as to the appropriate steps for you to take.

Remember:  Doctors are fallible.  They are not Gods.  They make mistakes.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this article.  I have been on statins for many years and I too have been weighing the risks.  While I have no muscle aches, I have am chronically tired,  developed cataracts at an earlier age, have delayed blood/glucose levels and do not have the stamina I did even two years ago.

I know all of the above could be for other reasons but something just bothers me about the statins.  My doctor and I have had several discussions.  I told him I don't want to chance becoming diabetic because I have seen with my DH all the issues diabetes can cause.  He said well that is a treatable disease.  I told him at this point in my life I would rather take my chances with high chlorestrol rather then taking a medication that can cause another medical problem.   I am still debating.  I have to get pre appointment blood tests in a few weeks and I think I will make my decision then.

Respected Contributor

On askapatient.com you can type in a drug and see both the overall rating and individual ratings of people who are either using of have used the drug.

The various comments about Crestor are eye-opening.

Esteemed Contributor

I have read several "wellness" books in the last six months and almost all of them have mentioned the association of statin drugs and the aging of the female brain, including early onset Alzheimer's. OP, I don't see anything wrong with your cholesterol levels of 150-200 as long as your ratios are in line. Been reading more and more about the case against artificially lowering cholesterol because cholesterol is the primary food for your brain. People are starving their brains, no wonder they're aging!

Everyone must make their own decisions about their health. I take no drugs and would do whatever was within my power to do to lower my cholesterol naturally, if it became a "problem." Be your own best advocate and study up on whatever is going into your body that doesn't naturally occur in nature.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I have really high cholesterol too (260-280) but the time I tried Lipitor the pain in my leg was so great and unrelenting my daughter thought I had a blood clot and I went to the er. My primary care doctor told me he tried Lipitor but he had lots of problems with it. He has high cholesterol but won't take a statin drug either.

I don't eat a lot of dairy, or meat and my diet is pretty good so I guess its genetic or something. I take garlic capsules which can lower cholesterol 30 points in a month. Also sometimes I take Red Yeast Rice which has the same properties as statin drugs but supposedly without the side effects. Drug cos I had read several years ago wanted red yeast rice off the market because it does what the statin drugs do but its an inexpensive otc supplement without the side effects.

You can get it in any drug store, Walmart, Target etc in the vitamin/supplement section. Of course just because its otc doesn't mean everyone should take it either.

I always read just as much about supplements or vitamins as I do an rx drug.

It is pretty scary.

Drs don't seem to like to acknowledge side effects. Instead they seem to just go along with what is prescribed most. We do have to be our own best advocate.

I have found that for some reason physician assistants seem to be more up on the latest research and studies than drs, I have seen. Maybe they have more time or interest. I don't know.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

For many years, my cholesterol levels were quite aceptably low.  Then one years all those numbers rose and my doctor and I discussed what to do.  Step one was to change eating habits and exercise habits,  That worked a small bit for a couple of years, but the loew scores eventually disappeared and I started on a statin.  It's been wuite a while and my numbers still aren't where they used to be, but they're better than my high point and I don't have negative reactions.

Are they aging my?  Maybe, but the calendar is aging me faster than any drug.  My father died youngish with cholesterol related issues, so sometimes the side effect to not treating  is very severe..  I'd like to avoid that for a while yet.

Honored Contributor

Many of those I worked with were on statins and surprise - all became diabetic.  They were then treated with a pill for that which is now showing high stroke risk and 3 had strokes - one a very bad one which left her partially paralyzed.  It can't be a coincindence!!  After having a stress test, the heart doctor told me everything was fine and even though my ex family doctor was heavily pushing the statins for a slightly high level, he said they definitely were not indicated for me since I had no history of heart disease in my family and my good chloresterol was great.  A lot of people are way too trusting of doctors who are strongly influenced by the big pharmecuticals to push certain drugs!!   There was a commercial on for a drug for diabetes and listed as one of the side effects is an increased chloresterol level (many of the drugs prescribed for it also can do this).  It's just looping you in a harmful cycle and then the dose of statins will be increased and on and on...!!