Regular Contributor

Re: Article on STATIN DRUGS AGING PEOPLE PREMATURELY.....

I won't go on them either, I just recently started taking Andrew Lessman's Cholesterol care supplements, reviews are great.  Anyway mine hovers around 240, to 250 but there is an equation you can do and if the results are over 5 than you might need something, mine came out 4.1, you can google it, I think it's divide your good hdl into your total, but I am not sure.  Anyway if you must take statins you should take cq-10 to counteract the muscle pains.  Doctors wonder why you don't want to take these pills when every week there are new studies on all the dangers.  If you have high blood pressure than you have to take pills, you just have to be informed on your choices.

Honored Contributor

I've been on a low dose of Simvastatin for years with out any side effects and my blood sugar is always normal. I have been taking CoQ10 for years , but my doc did not recommend it. All the women in my mother's family has a history of heart disease and all the women except my Aunt who is 80 and her brother who is 86 died before age 70 with heart disease. Both relatives have been taking statins for over 25 years and are not diabetic. I'll take my chances with the statin.

Honored Contributor

Reports on statins are all over the place.  I don't remember the source,but sometime back, I read they're so beneficial that everyone should consider taking them.  I guess each person and his doctor will have to weigh the pros and cons.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

190-200 is not high enough to warrant drugs IMO.

My cholesterol is 111 and my doctor wants me on preventative statins. If my levels were 190-200 I'd surely be on something to reduce those numbers!

I would look for a new doctor. I would not take a statin if my cholesterol was 190-200. There is such a thing as your cholesterol being too low.

Honored Contributor

Not everyone should have an ultra low Cholesterol number, just depends on the person. The body needs cholesterol and everyone's different, some have a 199 - 200 number with good cholesterol being predominate and that's normal for them.    

I was aware of CoQ-10 after starting the Statin drug because my doctor recommended it however the problems I've had with Statins were severe regardless taking the CoQ-10, so even though the supplement helps the heart, it doesn't necessarily stop the problems that are associated with Statin drugs......  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know several folks who had many problems, including dizziness.  What I'm wondering:  If a person has low blood pressure, say 110-115 over a normal rate (forgot the number), doc says it's 'excellent'.  Then, doesn't that mean that the person's blood isn't obstructed and is flowing freely through open channels (arteries)?  One would think that low blood pressure is an indication that the heart is not working overly hard, pushing the blood though without any problem.  Therefore, arteries aren't 'plugged up'; and not much, if any, buildup along the artery walls.  So, just because cholestrol is flowing around in the blood, round and round, it wouldn't necessarily mean that it's actually attached to the artery walls.  Right?  What if it's just 'flowing on by' ?  But not attached on the sides of the walls.  (No buildup)  .......... ATTENTION:  For the record:  Only just thinking; no links, no medical back-up;  'Allegedly' and nothing scientific.  Just my thoughts, as usual.  I'm always thinking about something........lol.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

My cholesterol is also a lttle on the high side - hereditary in my family.  I refuse to go on statins and my doctor recommended I take red rice and flax seed.  I take the red rice, flax, mega red, a baby aspirin andCoQ10. I have now been on this program for more than 6 years.

Andrew Lessman also sells Cholestacare, but I didn't use it properly and gave up on that.  

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I know several folks who had many problems, including dizziness.  What I'm wondering:  If a person has low blood pressure, say 110-115 over a normal rate (forgot the number), doc says it's 'excellent'.  Then, doesn't that mean that the person's blood isn't obstructed and is flowing freely through open channels (arteries)?  One would think that low blood pressure is an indication that the heart is not working overly hard, pushing the blood though without any problem.  Therefore, arteries aren't 'plugged up'; and not much, if any, buildup along the artery walls.  So, just because cholestrol is flowing around in the blood, round and round, it wouldn't necessarily mean that it's actually attached to the artery walls.  Right?  What if it's just 'flowing on by' ?  But not attached on the sides of the walls.  (No buildup)  .......... ATTENTION:  For the record:  Only just thinking; no links, no medical back-up;  'Allegedly' and nothing scientific.  Just my thoughts, as usual.  I'm always thinking about something........lol.

Romary, I totally agree with you.  What you say makes a lot of sense.  I have low to normal blood pressure which, as you said, must mean my blood is flowing very nicely.  Just a couple of years ago tests were done which indicated that cholesterol is not the total "bad guy" in heart disease, but docs want us to take statins (which they themselves won't take) anyway. 

My cholesterol all my life has always been a little high on the LDL side, making my total cholesterol in the 230s.  However, my good HDL cholesterol is 82 and my triglycerides (the most important element of total cholesterol) is always around 65, very low, and therefore my ratios are very good.

There is also the other factor that one's body gets used to its amount of cholesterol as we age, so at the age of 77, I would say my cholesterol is no danger to me.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Hi, Lilac!  'I don't know why', but what I posted makes SO  much sense to me.  Could be that the cholesterol is just floating on by, round and round, not sticking to anything.  Why don't they find something slippery and natural, molecules which  attach to the cholesterol molecules, which will enable the cholesterol to float around, and not stick to the artery walls?  And, if we have a good, low blood pressure and heart rate, that would be an indication that 'all is well' in that dept.  I'm thinking that if we made it this far with good blood pressure, let it be.  (Allegedly, nothing scientific, IMO only.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).