Esteemed Contributor

Article about effective hair loss treatments

[ Edited ]

I wasn't sure whether to post this in Wellness or Beauty but I know this topic comes up from time to time.  I'm suffering from thinning hair myself, mostly caused by food allergies (gluten, etc), however, I think other things may be contributing to it also.  I thought this contained some good information.  It's on MSN, entitled,

12 Highly Effective Treatments For Thinning Hair

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/69-highly-effective-treatments-for-hair-loss-migraines-back-...

It also contains info about migraines and back pain but I only checked the slides relating to hair loss. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Article about effective hair loss treatments

[ Edited ]

I copied the information so you don't have to click on the link. 

12 Highly Effective Treatments For Thinning Hair

A bathroom covered with loose strands or an ever-scrawnier ponytail can be startling but doesn't necessarily mean anything's wrong. By age 50, half of women will complain of hair loss. "As we age, overall hair density changes and individual strands become finer," says dermatologist Doris J. Day. But just because thinning is natural doesn't mean you have to accept it. Here are 12 solutions to help you keep the hair out of your brush and on your head.

Meals
Now, this is easy! Hair thrives on protein, iron, zinc, and vitamin B12. Get them from lean meats, leafy greens, nuts, beans, and fish. (These 7 speedy fish dinners will put you on the right track.)

Massage
You're halfway there every time you shampoo: massaging your head in the shower improves blood flow to the scalp. This means a better environment for hair growth, but it also aids the penetration of any treatment shampoos you use

Styling
It's the easiest fix you never considered. Hair dryers and irons, especially if you already color, can cause breakage and thinning, so reduce your use however you can.

Minoxidil
As the only FDA-approved proven ingredient, the drug has years of research to back it up—and about 50% of women using it see improvement. "Minoxidil can enhance the size of the follicle so that it produces a bigger strand of hair," says Wilma Bergfeld, a Cleveland Clinic dermatologist. Try Pantene Expert Minoxidil Topical Solution Hair Regrowth Treatment for Women ($24; pantene.com).

Viviscal
Sometimes a supplement is all you need. "The combination of fish protein, vitamin C, zinc, biotin, and niacin in Viviscal supplements encourages the body to produce healthier, thicker strands," says New York City dermatologist Joshua Zeichner. ($50; viviscal.com)

Blood Work
Routine blood work can test your ferritin (iron stored in the blood) and vitamin D. Low levels can lead to hair loss, and the fix may be as simple as adding an iron or vitamin supplement. And hey, you're probably overdue for a checkup anyway! (Cut pre-test jitters with these 8 insider tips for making any exam easier and more accurate.)

Lasers
Laser treatments reduce the inflammation in follicles that inhibits them from regenerating. In a recent study, researchers saw significant increases in density after 26 weeks of twice-weekly treatments with a curved device with medical-grade lasers: the HairMax LaserBand 82 ($795; hairmax.com).

Stress Relief
Just breathe—seriously, it could help! Both sudden and chronic stress can halt hair growth. If you've been through a challenging experience (divorce, job change), hair should grow back. If you're under constant pressure, master meditation—easier said than done, but your hair will thank you. (Find the meditation style that matches your personality, here.)

Hormone Help
If it's serious, consider an Rx. Some women are genetically predisposed to female-pattern hair loss, and birth control pills can suppress overproduction of male hormones. At menopause, thinning increases; if you're on hormone therapy, it may minimize hair loss.

Cortisone Shots
They hurt, but they work. lnjecting cortisone directly into the scalp blocks the hormonal activity that induces hair thinning. This works especially well in patients with inflammatory scalp disease, says Bergfeld.

Bad Blood?
According to practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine, hair health is tied to two things: kidney energy and the blood, which nourish the hair. The solution: acupuncture and Chinese herbs. While there isn't a lot of hard science to back this up, Maureen Conant, a TCM practitioner at Full Bloom Acupuncture in Seattle, says that she's seen women's hair stop falling out and then gradually regenerate after a few months of weekly treatments. (Here are six more reasons to give acupuncture a try.)

The Doctor Will See You Now
Every once in a while, hair loss is a symptom of something else that's going on with your body. If your hair loss is sudden and excessive or simple solutions aren't working, talk with your doctor about other possibilities, including:
Hormone irregularities
Thyroid abnormalities
Lupus
Anemia
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Article about effective hair loss treatments

Low ferritin caused my hair loss and it's starting again. I'm sure it's probably getting low again. I had an iron infusion at the beginning of the year and a follow up next month. 

I mention this because often they check hemoglobin levels, but never ferritin. My hemoglobin was always normal but I finally got lucky to get a doctor who checked a little more. Thank goodness. I thought I was going to be bald!!