Valued Contributor

I take two advil liqui gels with two tylenol for arthritis.  I only do this occasionally like once of twice a month because it not good to take it all the time.  I rotate my pain relief.  Sometimes I take two aspirin, sometimes I'll take Aleve.  I don't take anything everyday.  I'll also take tumeric but I don't know if it really works.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   the product TURMERIC that you mentioned --I told a family member about....she has/had a lot of health issues...crohns, breast cancer and now according to xrays she has siginificant arthitis in her back and spine.  A few weeks ago she was in a lot of back pain, that is why she had the xray.

She is thinking about trying the Turmeric....was there a gradual easing of your pain, to the extent that you feel pretty good most of the time? I thought maybe after taking two bottles of the supplement she would know if it was helping or not.

I also suggested she read the book Arthritis: Is your diet causing it?

I feel so bad for her, she is young -40 years old and has had alot of health issues, the breast cancer was diagnosed before she was 30!  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I felt relief from arthritic pain after about a few weeks. But it got better after over a month. My friend said she felt relief after two days but I think that might be in her head...LOL...but maybe not.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @SilleeMee 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I only have pain in my knees. My orthopedic doc says I have bone on bone. Voltaren helps more than I expected a topical cream to do. Tylenol Arthritis 625mg. helps, as well, but, I only take it if I know I will be doing a lot of walking. I worry about its effects on liver & kidneys.

I just don't want to have knee replacement surgery.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

@Sapphiregal 

Why? Once it's bone on bone, chances of it getting better are slim to none. Treating symptoms(with meds long term) can eventually lead to other serious problems. This is your private matter and does not require a reply.

john

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I know a lady that eats Gin soaked Raisins. She says it helps. Has anyone tried this?

Gin-Soaked Raisins

Follow these steps:

1. Place a box of golden raisins into a shallow container.
  2. Cover the raisins with gin.
  3. Let the raisins soak in the gin for a few weeks until the gin evaporates. The raisins will not dry out but will stay moist just like normal raisins.
  4. Eat nine of these "drunken raisins" a day to help your arthritis.

VeryWellHealth: Can Gin-Soaked Raisins Help Arthritis? Exploring the Facts Behind a Common Folk Remedy
Trusted Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I only have pain in my knees. My orthopedic doc says I have bone on bone. Voltaren helps more than I expected a topical cream to do. Tylenol Arthritis 625mg. helps, as well, but, I only take it if I know I will be doing a lot of walking. I worry about its effects on liver & kidneys.

I have your knees and also do not want knee replacement. I can walk just fine, no pain, but I am very stiff getting up from chairs and can no longer get up and down from floor. Cannot ride in car or plane for extended periods. Have tried Voltaren with little success, and it's very expensive to apply 4xday as directed at $25 a tube which is used up in a week. I mostly use Aleve when necessary.  Suffered a stress fracture in foot due to having osteoporosis and am currently taking ibuprofen 800mg which helps a lot. I don't take it on a regular basis, only when I need to be on my feet for long period of day. 

Trusted Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

After much trial and error, I had great success with Lodine, a NSAID.  I took it for at least 25 years with constant medical monitoring until it began to affect my kidney functions.  I now can't take any NSAID, which includes most OTC drugs, even aspirin and absolutely no Tylenol.  I've tried other prescription drugs for pain but have had bad side-effects so I take nothing.  My doctor recently talked me into trying Hydrocodone but after thinking about it and the hoops one must jump through to get it, I decided I didn't want it and never picked up the prescription. 

it's so frustrating.......the quality of my life is so compromised....people look at me and don't understand my chronic pain........i know that shouldn't bother me....but it does.....

Husband has severe degenerative arthritis and spinal stenosis. Following spinal fusion surgery he was sent to pain doc who put him on hydrocodone along with milder drug. Of course it helped because it's an opiate. Hubby wanted off the hydrocodone so internist put him on medical marijuana in 2 different forms. Wow....has really really helped his pain. If your state permits medical marijuana from a licensed physician maybe look into it. You can always reduce the dose little by little, and it does not turn you into a drug addict. 

Regular Contributor

sorry for the late response.....i take 2 500 mg per day  one in the morning and one at bedtime