Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

for those who suffer from arthritis....what OTC pain relief works best......i have osteo and psoriatic....i've given up on biologics....no significant relief...so i'm going back to OTC....and trying to function with the chronic pain...today even the knee i had replaced is painful....thank you....

Respected Contributor

@nana59  Advil helps, but do not take it on an empty stomach. Tylenol has never helped any pain relief for me; I might as well drink a glass of water and hope for relief.

Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

@nana59  Advil helps, but do not take it on an empty stomach. Tylenol has never helped any pain relief for me; I might as well drink a glass of water and hope for relief.

@On It  ~ Same for me!

Honored Contributor

After much trial and error, I had great success with Lodine, a NSAID.  I took it for at least 25 years with constant medical monitoring until it began to affect my kidney functions.  I now can't take any NSAID, which includes most OTC drugs, even aspirin and absolutely no Tylenol.  I've tried other prescription drugs for pain but have had bad side-effects so I take nothing.  My doctor recently talked me into trying Hydrocodone but after thinking about it and the hoops one must jump through to get it, I decided I didn't want it and never picked up the prescription. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

After much trial and error, I had great success with Lodine, a NSAID.  I took it for at least 25 years with constant medical monitoring until it began to affect my kidney functions.  I now can't take any NSAID, which includes most OTC drugs, even aspirin and absolutely no Tylenol.  I've tried other prescription drugs for pain but have had bad side-effects so I take nothing.  My doctor recently talked me into trying Hydrocodone but after thinking about it and the hoops one must jump through to get it, I decided I didn't want it and never picked up the prescription. 

it's so frustrating.......the quality of my life is so compromised....people look at me and don't understand my chronic pain........i know that shouldn't bother me....but it does.....

Respected Contributor

Most of the time I take nothing and try to outlast the pain. My hands don't always hurt but when they're very painful I will take an Aleve.  It usually works and for some reason (maybe just coincidence or my imagination) my hands are pain-free for a few days.

Regular Contributor

Re: Arthritis Pain

[ Edited ]

My doctor recommended tumeric capsules and Voltarin topical gel applied as needed. I have noticed a great improvement in my lower back and knee pain. I have osteoarthritis in those areas.

Honored Contributor

Per my doc's ok I've always taken acetaminophen which really helps and I use Salon Pas patches which reallly help with joint pain.

Respected Contributor

@nana59 @PinkyPetunia  

i agree with Aleve being very effective. It is the one I use when the pain is really, really bad. It will do a number on your stomach. Take with food.

Esteemed Contributor

@redbird wrote:

My doctor recommended tumeric capsules and Voltarin topical gel applied as needed. I have noticed a great improvement in my lower back and knee pain. I have osteoarthritis in those areas.

i've read a lot about tumeric....could you share what brand/doseage you take....i used voltaren gel with good results....but when i had cardiac stents put in....my rheumy told me i had to stop using it.....