Respected Contributor

I've never even been to one.  Smiley Happy   I have a total gym (25+ years) and a treadmill that I alternate with.   I don't exercise in the summer when I can be outside working in my yard.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

When I went it was $45 a month or $35 a month with a year's contract.  No lockers, no pool and no showers.  Just the gym equipment.  It was open 24-7.  You needed a code to get in.  It was very safe with cameras everywhere and an emergency button if ever needed.

I haven't been there for 2 years.  I either need to go back or buy another treadmill.  Mine quit.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are your gym/fitness monthly costs rising?

Ours went down because we changed insurance to one that offers silver sneakers and they pay for our gym membership. saves us  $60/month for the 2 of us.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Wow, you guys are paying a lot less than I am. I belong to Lifetime Fitness and pay $70 a month. This is the suburbs of Chicago. It's a nice gym and I do like it but I do feel it's expensive. The park district of my town opened a brand new fitness facility last year and it's way more reasonable but they do not include group fitness. I do yoga a few times a week, and if I had to pay extra for them. it might be about the same price. The rates have gone up each year since I started with Lifetime, and as a previous poster stated, I haven't seen anything new except the price.

Valued Contributor

I've been a member of 24 hour fitness for 25+ years. My membership costs $12 a month an has NEVER increased.

Honored Contributor

I have mine through work so I don't pay for it at the moment but a flyer I just got from the same place was offering $25 a month this year which is lower than the flyers in previous years.   

Honored Contributor

@Peaches_VB wrote:

Wow, you guys are paying a lot less than I am. I belong to Lifetime Fitness and pay $70 a month. This is the suburbs of Chicago. It's a nice gym and I do like it but I do feel it's expensive. The park district of my town opened a brand new fitness facility last year and it's way more reasonable but they do not include group fitness. I do yoga a few times a week, and if I had to pay extra for them. it might be about the same price. The rates have gone up each year since I started with Lifetime, and as a previous poster stated, I haven't seen anything new except the price.

@Peaches_VB

I, too, love my Lifetime Fitness (!), but yep, the dues definitely have inched up over the years.   I have an Onyx membership, so the dues are close to $115/month.  The quality of cycling/yoga instructors is the main reason why I'm there (all classes are included).   The amenities of the locker room is a plus, as well.  But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun working out next to Mark Cuban & retired pro athletes from time to time!! Smiley Happy  

I also have a 24Hr membership, where I personal train, which costs me a fixed $100/year...a deal I got waaaay back in 1998, so no increases in dues, but the training $$ have gone up, tho. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

At $80-100 per month it sure would have expedited accumulating my home gym equipment which I did piece by piece by ¡piece?

Wasn't paying near that much, but that was ages ago. Took me over 10+ years to add the more expensive machines in my gym. The players in my adult hockey league bought my $1500 Elliptical machine, so that sure helped?

I have always preferred working out by myself. Even though I played some team sports, my conditioning/flexibility/hand-eye coordination I did alone? Same with training for all of my Running Road Races of distances from 1 mile to the full 26.2 marathons?

Another advantage I've had with having put my money towards my own home gym? I have equipment I can sell, and have sold, when I want to upgrade any of my machines.

My gym membership money was the same as renting an apartment versus putting that money into buying my own home.

Renting was not adding any enquity to anything that belonged to me. Just my way of looking overall at paying for a gym membership or putting those dollars into something I actually own.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Shogirl wrote:

I’m curious what others are paying for gym/fitness memberships these days. I’ve watched the prices rise steadily over the last 5 years at my favorite fitness place from $38/mo. for 12 mo. to $59/mo. for 12 mo.  The services offered have stayed the same.  I can’t help but feel they are going to price themselves out of business.

@Shogirl

We are fortunate in that our new city has 8-10 "Community Centers," with fitness as the primary focus.  My husband and I, both over 65, pay $41/month for the two of us.  Our benefits include a humongous pool with a river to walk with or against current, two slides (one huge).

Other courses or free activity includes open play swim, family swim, lap swim. senior adaptive swim, aqua yoga, aqua superfit, aquaerobics, aqua power, aqua zumba, river challenge, current challenge, basketball (many levels), volleyball (many levels), messy art park for kids, indoor park for kids, family fun nights, bootcamp, Vinyasa Yoga, 1-2-3 step, Zumba gold, pilates, exercise for every body, ai Chi - sr., Nia, Low impact cardio, Arthritis founation X, Hatha Yoga, tumbling for pre-schoolers, beginning crochet and so much more.

Due to our weather in the Pacific Northwest, these centers are so very welcome.

My knee surgeon doc just placed me on a regimen of swimming with short fins and I'm adding cardio and will be signing up for a class.  The doc recommended walking against the river current, after I had told him about it.

The city makes every effort to keep costs down.  AND they have dressing rooms, whereas everybody and their dog get a good look at LA Fitness (not impressed with their athletic trainers one iota).  They wanted nothing much to do with me because I'm not a hot babe under 30.  Know what I mean?

My DD and SIL have lived here 10 years and said prices havs risen a pittance.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@italia8140 wrote:

I've been a member of 24 hour fitness for 25+ years. My membership costs $12 a month an has NEVER increased.

Wait until you receive your yearly statement.  I went from paying $24 per year to $70 per year.  Apparently, the company was sold and now they are increasing rates as each annual membership renews.  Other members who were paying $70 per year are now paying $150 per year.