Trusted Contributor

Are your gym/fitness monthly costs rising?

I’m curious what others are paying for gym/fitness memberships these days. I’ve watched the prices rise steadily over the last 5 years at my favorite fitness place from $38/mo. for 12 mo. to $59/mo. for 12 mo.  The services offered have stayed the same.  I can’t help but feel they are going to price themselves out of business.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are your gym/fitness monthly costs rising?

Ours are dropping in price.

Not a GYM person.... not an exercise equipment person.  However hubby is and he has filled our basement. the stuff that I dust.  He did try to get me a membership once.  I went, spent more time talking to others while they were exercising that he decided it was NOT FOR ME.  So we gave up our membership when the year ran out.

Now there are fewer yearly memberships around here.  Mostly by the month and because I DON'T WANT TO GO the deals keep coming in... by email, by phone, by mail.  Always a bargain and always a deal.  My guess is THEY ARE HURTING because of people like me.  They have two choices... raise the prices or offer a really super deal in hopes someone, anyone will take the bait and show up.

I would rather clean the house, mow the lawn, rake the leaves and shovel the snow.  I also dance 6 times a week. If I had to  sit or stand on something that goes round and round and get absolutely nowhere I would rather just not be involved.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have my own gym in my home. I belonged to fitness centers for several years in the past. I then decided: I had to drive there, at times in bad weather/I had to wait to use certain machines/time limits on some machines/costs rising, any more things I will leave out.

Decided spending my money for equipment was a win-win thing for me in many ways. Little by little my home gym rivals some of the gyms I have seen when it comes to popular equipment.

Over several decades I have seen many fitness centers and gyms come and go. Many times leaving "paid up members" having nothing but a membership card. I like my home gym better as it will never raise prices or go out of business.

You might consider doing something similar, space permitting.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have worked out at home for the past 15+ years but recently went back to the gym in order to workout with and support my husband who does not like to workout at home (he doesn't have the willpower to do so like I do, lol). He gets his membership free through work and I pay $19.99 a month (LA fitness). It includes pool and sauna use, court access (raquetball, etc)  and classes, so I think that is very reasonable. I know 20 years about when I belonged to a gym I paid about that same amount for a gym that didn't have a pool. I think my parents pay about the same per month for their gym too.

Honored Contributor

Back in the eighties and ninties, I enjoyed exercising.  I had or have everybody's tape....Jane Fonda, The Firm, Richard Simmons and dozens more.  I also went out to health clubs.  Even then, from year to year, they were expensive.  Chicago Health Club had these contracts where you paid a bunch of money upfront and then a yearly fee.

The last one I was a member of was Curves.  And not only are they expensive, imo, but boring after a couple of months.  If/when I resume exercising, it will be at home.  Getting in the car and driving someplace to workout when you can do the same thing at home is not for me.  You can socialize there but that's not the purpose.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

I have belonged to Gold's Gym for about 3 years.  I pay $16.23 every 2 weeks.  Get's automatically debited.  I guess my contract is locked in, price wise, as it hasn't changed.

Honored Contributor

I pay $19.99 a month, and have paid that since 2009.  They extended the same "discount" rates to BF also. I can go to two locations of the same gym with my membership, but it would cost more to have an "all access" pass to all network gyms (I believe there are 6 locations).  Classes (yoga/pilates, spinning, Les Mills classes, Zumba, etc.) are included as part of the membership.  There is no pool, but there is a sauna, mini gym for ladies, cardio cinema, cycling room, circuit training, cardio machines/weights.  There is a one time "equipment" charge of $19.99 each February, and they list what "improvements" they make each year to the club.  There is a network of trainers, and for additional money one can have "personal" training or group boot camp type classes.  

At my previous gym, I paid $56 a month for ONE location, after my teacher discount AND referring someone else to become a member.Cat Mad

Trusted Contributor

All of the prices I've seen here are much less than our local fitness center.  A famliy membership is $150/month.  A single membership is between $80 and $100/month, depending on whether you just want to use the pool, or all equipment and programs.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

In our area prices are dropping.  But apparently our area is over saturated with gyms

Contributor

I have a "full service" (special locker room for adults only and additional amenities) membership to my local YMCA and our rates are dropping. I was paying $85 a month, broken out in to $45 for the membership and $40 for the full service upgrade. Starting 3/1, it'll be $30 for the membership and $38 for the upgrade. The rationale given for the price decrease was that they're trying to make the basic membership more affordable in hopes that more people will join and make a committment to fitness. 

~not a new poster, not a new name, never banned, not my first day at the rodeo~