Honored Contributor

Are you positive for Staph Superantigen?

[ Edited ]

I have been doing internet research... so people can take my findings with a grain of salt... so to speak.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Staphacne/comments/428wtm/healthyalmonds_ears_and_nose_method/

Rosacea/cystic acne/symptoms mimicing lupus/sinus infections/eczema and more...

There are researchers (biologists) who have been "culturing" their nasal passages and ears in labs to control the staph and pseudomonas antigens.

I believe that most, if not all, of my chronic symptoms are due to staph or pseudomonas.

If you think you might be interested in knowing more, you might want to post your questions in reddit (blogs) and the subject area is "Staphacne."

The writer "healthyalmonds" has been writing, culturing and referencing nih.gov studies concerning this.

Wouldn't it be interesting if control of this would all be helped just from triple antibiotic ointment application to ears and nasal passages?

This regimen seems to be working for me... hopefully, it will work for you, too, if you need to control the many symptoms that the antigens cause. 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you positive for Staph Superantigen?

I had intestinal MRSA in Dec/Jan and I read that many people carry staph aureus in their nasal passages, I asked for a nasal swab. I tested positive for MRSA in my nose. My doctor  prescribed a specific topical antibiotic for ten day treatment. Today I see my ENT. My theory is that with a lifetime of sinus infections, I probably infected myself with MRSA because people like me, who are on PPIs like Nexium or Prilosec, are far more prone to intestinal infection because of lack of stomach acid to fight bacteria. My allergic sniffling and snuffling probably went down my throat into my unprotected gut. My internist thinks I am onto something. I'll run it by my ENT today and ask him to test me for nasal MRSA now that I used the topical medication. Meanwhile I am off the PPI and on Pepcid.

Here's the warning, however. Continuous usage of antibiotics, even topical, as mentioned in the advice posted in the link above, can lead to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. I was "lucky" that my intestinal MRSA was responsive to Vancomycin. I stopped the topical nasal antibiotic after ten days, as directed by my doctor. Any long term use of antibiotics carries risk. I would definitely discuss this with my doctor before trying this. Be careful!

Honored Contributor

@Vivian

Thank you for your insightful information!

Wonder if we who are testing positive continue to bring this topic up with our doctors... if there would be more control over our health issues?

I will be anxious to hear how your doctor today responds to your supposition.  IMO, microbiologists wouldn't be testing these theories if there weren't some suspicions.

I am hoping that you stay well!  MRSA... what a scare!

Honored Contributor

Not all staph is the antibiotic resistant strain. Staph existed for a very long time before it bacame antibiotic resistant. 

Honored Contributor

@151949

This is true... but the toxins released by ever-prevalent staph (whether MRSA or not) can cause toxic shock syndrome (remember this one?) 

Now, it is also coming to light that the toxin produced by the bacteria can cause lupus-like symptoms, as well as sinus infections/ear infections/and now there is even research for its role in diabetes.

Respected Contributor

my derm told me MRSA colonizes in the nostrils (mucous membranes)  . Mupiricin ointment (Rx)  is effective to combat staph which can morph into mrsa .

my doctor had me dab some Mupiricin in my nose when i had an infected tick bite. 

not sure if i would do that as a rule every day if i had no infection.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting, i think this is very interesting.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Did you know that skin cultures from children and adults with eczema have a high incidence of staph while skin cultures from psoriatics have a high incidence of strep.